SDI to HDMI 6G Mini Converter

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Sam Cole

SDI to HDMI 6G Mini Converter

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 7:21 am

I just purchased a SDI to HDMI 6G Mini Converter for sending a UHD SDI signal from an ATEM 4K to a standard 1080 HDMI monitor. The HDMI monitor does not show a picture and just displays "Signal out of range".

From what I have read it is suppose to auto detect the input resolution and auto detect the connected HDMI devices resolution. This doesn't appear to be the case. If I plug the converter into a 4K monitor it shows as 4K as it does with a Video Assist but I suppose that is because it has detected a UHD resolution HDMI monitor.

But it is NOT detecting a 1080 monitor and because the monitor is displaying an 'out of range' error I suspect that means it senses it is receiving a UHD signal. I have also tried this on some other brand 1080 monitors but they all have no picture as well.

Is there something I am doing wrong or do I have a faulty (1 day old) SDI to HDMI 6G Mini Converter?
Please help.
SamC

Xtreemtec

Re: SDI to HDMI 6G Mini Converter

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 2:46 pm

I have had this issue too with teranex converters.. The problem lays in the detection of the EDID table. If your monitor has a crapy EDID table it will send 4K nevertheless.. And you can not force it into HD.

I guess we are not talking about a well known brand TV in this post right? No LG, Sony, Panasonic, Philips or something..

Post brand and model!! ;)

I have the same issues with a very expensive Broadcast monitor were they did not a proper EDID table management.
Wish BMD would just assign 1 dipswitch to force it into HD downscale mode instead of auto detect.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Sam Cole

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 10:28 pm

The main HDMI monitor I need it to connect to is a Viewsonic 22" which is a good known brand. The other HDMI monitors are a variety including Liliput, LG etc.
I am currently using a cheap Chinese UHD to HDMI converter at the output of the BMD SDI to HDMI 6G Mini Converter.

I will try feeding it into a ATEM TVS HD which I assume WILL have the correct EDID.

Wish BMD would just assign 1 dipswitch to force it into HD downscale mode instead of auto detect.

Even allowing a setting in the configuration software to force down convert.

Sam Cole

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 7:18 am

I did some further tests and it seems it BMD SDI to HDMI 6G Mini Converter does not like changing frame rates, just resolution. So if I am feeding it 2160p25 and plug into a 1080 HDMI it will only output 1080p25 regardles of what the monitor can do. It won't even work into a Decimator MDHX.

Does anyone know of a 2160p25 to 1080i50 converter?

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 09, 2019 12:54 pm

Sam Cole wrote:I will try feeding it into a ATEM TVS HD which I assume WILL have the correct EDID.

Do not assume :P It does not have correct EDID handling.. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it fails..

"Does anyone know of a 2160p25 to 1080i50 converter?"

I wish i did for a reasonable price. But at this point the only bank account friendly converters out there doing UHD is BMD stuff..

A teranex AV will do this.. But not really friendly for the money..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started