Shuttle dropping frames during capturing VHS

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

boombox80s

Shuttle dropping frames during capturing VHS

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 7:40 am

I recently bought the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt version) to capture old VHS footage through the S-Video input. I'm using the latest version of Media Express (and Video Desktop).

During capturing, depending on the tape, i get dropouts (black frames). Some tapes work fine, others don’t. It’s not the VCR, because when i hook it up to my TV, it runs fine. The same happens when i try to access the menu on the VCR. It seems like the Shuttle can’t handle something that is slightly out of spec?

Does anybody know what is causing this, or an alternative to capture from the Shuttle which won’t drop frames?

I'm on the “trashcan” Mac running El Capitan. Drives are fast enough to capture every format.

Thank you.

Denny Smith

Re: Shuttle dropping frames during capturing VHS

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 5:39 pm

This is typical of VHS tapes, they loose their time code track, and then yiu see drop,out. Also, older tapes will have drop,out caused by wear in the tape, similar to dropped frames. Both will cause the digital capture to stop. You need to get a good Broadcast style Time Bas Corrector, that will fix these issues and give yiu a continuous signal to the Shuttle. Go to the Live Production form and search on transferring VHS tapes or VHS and TBC. This will bring up the many previous discussions on this issue.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

boombox80s

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 2:33 pm

Thank you for your answer. It still doesn't explain why i can't see the VCR menu, however.

Also, my VCR equipped with TBC (a JVC HR8600), or would this not be sufficient?

Denny Smith

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 5:59 pm

No, that was barely sufficient for a CRT Monitor and analog equipment (tape to tape editing).
As for the deck menu, it is probably being blocked by the card. Try displaying the deck to an old crt monitor. I have several laying around for that purpose. I have a spare Sony 8-inch field monitor available if you are interested.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

boombox80s

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Try displaying the deck to an old crt monitor.

Thanks, yes i hooked it up to a CRT and that showed the VCR settings (wanted to check the settings before capturing).

Okay, so i have to accept the blackouts (unless buying an expensive broadcast grade TBC)?

Capturing with other software than Media Express won't show the dropped frames either?

Denny Smith

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 5:35 pm

No, and no. You can get a used Broadcast type TBC on eBay for reasonable prices.
I got a Snell and Wilcox Kudo, works well. Sony made one , as did Digital Processing Systems, and the Datavideo TBC-1000 should do the trick.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

boombox80s

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Denny Smith wrote:No, and no. You can get a used Broadcast type TBC on eBay for reasonable prices.
I got a Snell and Wilcox Kudo, works well. Sony made one , as did Digital Processing Systems, and the Datavideo TBC-1000 should do the trick.
Cheers

Alright, gonna look those up. Thank you for all your help!

Return to Getting Started