Canon EOS M50 with UltraStudio Mini Recorder on Mac Mojave

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

idStar

Canon EOS M50 with UltraStudio Mini Recorder on Mac Mojave

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 2:06 am

Hi Everyone,

I've just picked up my Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder, and installed the latest software for it from the blackmagic design website on my Mac (running Mojave). My Mac is a 2015 MBP 15" with 16 GB RAM.

In any event, my Mac picks up the mini recorder, but I just get a black screen.

If I take my HDMI out and instead, go into a 1080P monitor, I can see the HDMI signal from the live video from the camera.

Has anyone successfully used the Mini Recorder with a Canon EOS M50? I know it shouldn't matter.

Perhaps there's some framerate setting on the camera I need to set for it to get picked up?

Any guidance much appreciated. Thanks!

idStar

Re: Canon EOS M50 with UltraStudio Mini Recorder on Mac Moja

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 6:18 pm

Following up, I spoke with a representative at Blackmagic Design, and he advise that one has to ensure the HDMI out from the camera is either 1080p at 29.97 or 1080i at 59.94.

On the M50, one can only select 'Auto' or '1080p'. While the recording frame rate can be changed, it's not necessarily true that this sets the output framerate. Thus, the camera may be sending out 1080p at 59.94 via the HDMI out, and this may be the reason for the black screen.

With higher end DSLRs where HDMI output can be more finely tuned, this wouldn't be a problem. So, the solution is a higher end Blackmagic Design product (rack mounted, I think) that can take in a wider range of HDMI signals, such as 1080p at 59.94.

Return to Getting Started