Full duplex network

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Riddlebox

Full duplex network

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 1:10 pm

Hi
Does using full duplex mode on a seperate sub network cause any issues with video editing?

So basically wires all cat 7

File server
Z220 workstation editing box
Z220 workstation renderbox

Linked up seperatly with own nics i have a full duplex capable switch but was wondering if there is any point or causes issues?

I cant find anything about this on video editing but full duplex should run 1gbps down 1 gbps up at the same time. All the examples i see are between 2 computers but i would be using 3.

The onboard nics would be part of the greater network and the editing will have its own dedicated network.

Many thanks

Jack Fairley

Re: Full duplex network

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 7:22 pm

If you're putting in a new deployment, I would use 10Gb networking.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Riddlebox

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 10:28 pm

Havent the budget for 10gbps

The file server core 2 quad with 16gb ram has a spare pci slot. And a load of sata pci e cards i store the raw from a 12tb iornwolf

The editing pc and render box is a z220 sff the editing box has 32gb and a 1050ti4gb the render has 16gb and a 1030 2gb. Both have 8 thread i7 3770 and again the pci slot hold the nic on each. As i just dont have the pci e lanes for 10gbps.

On a really tight budget which is why i am asking about full duplex 1gbps so in essence 2gbps total throughput. The editing is fully ssd and so is the render box mx500 series drives.

Student with limited space and cash flow so this was literally the best i could do to make a workflow system. Hence the sff pcs then literally bids on ebay for the ram.

1gbps is still 125MB/s but from what i understand is the data has to travel one way then the other in typical half duplex against full duplex doing up and down at the full 1gbps speed.

I get that most of the users of this forum use £1500 cpus. But this was the fastest i could afford to set up its cost me about £1100 it works quick but i see the ethernet in task manager using 500mbps rather than the full 1gbps. I dont know what the consiquence of full duplex is for editing video as i dont want to loose my work.

Jack Fairley

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 10:48 pm

Full duplex works fine.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Riddlebox

PostThu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 pm

I will change the mode and try it.

Thank you for replying

Greg_E

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 5:30 pm

Cat 7 cable is rated at 10gbps

Anything above 10mbps should normally be set for full duplex unless there is a specific limitation in the interface at one end (like a USB2 NIC).

Riddlebox

PostSun Feb 10, 2019 5:56 pm

Its transfering at the 125MBs i found using jumbo frames helps a bit. You are all right that i need 10gbps i just dont have a spare pcie slot. Had to use the pci slots as all i had left spare. The 1050ti fills 2 slots on the editing machine. The render box has a 8x free as it has a 1030. But the file server is filled with 2x 4 port sata 3 cards 1030. So dedicated nics in pci slot was the only option.

The direct network between the 3 machines is cat7 and the hdmi to cat is running through cat7 as well for the shielding so to speak as i stream the feed in as i have the fans running at 100% i cant hear a thing this way.

I got remote desktop running so i can use any pc in the house to edit from and use these 3 pcs from tje home side. So all the data transfers are through the independant network that this was about.

Managed to solve openvpn tunnel and its surprisingly useable to edit video on the train from a chromebook as i can use the rdp client through the vpn. Its amazingly low bandwidth to use these.

Solved the wake on lan so i can turn on either the editing machine or render box as i need them including over the internet.

Its been a crazy project. But i am on budget of under £1500. And everything runs quickly. Its only for 1080p but my exsisting projects needed protecting from any network issues.

Greg_E

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 pm

If you are running at 125MBps on a gigabit connection, then you are doing pretty good.

Full duplex of course would really be a 2gb connection, 1gb up, 1gb down at the same time. Just how things are labeled.

What kind of switch do you have in the middle? Would it be possible to aggregate two or more connections from the fileshare? That way with two "client" computers pulling on it, they would both get a gigabit connection. On FreeNAS it is simple to set up, if your switch can handle aggregated connections.

Riddlebox

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 pm

I got 2 TP-Link sg108 switches 16gbps bandwidth 2mb buffer. both 8 port 1 for the house hold network internet plex. And 1 for just the editing.

The editing network is literally just 3 pcs plugged in with duronic cat 7 and all 3 have intel pci network cards kept seperate from everything else. The internet comes from a TP-Link AC2800 through to the onboard network slots.

125mb a second is about the best i can hope for sadly. The drives are all on sata 3 and mx500 drives part from the iorn wolf which has a 256mb cashe. But i doubt that drive could go any faster.

I couldnt find decent 2 port pci network cards pcie yes. I am starting to wish i had got the amd wx card rather than the 1050ti as all the pcs are small form factor that would have given me 2 x 8 lane pcie but i doubt the iorn wolf drive can reach those speeds you all enjoy.

Return to Getting Started