Hardware recommended for 4K recording with Intensity Pro 4K?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

mtnsports

Hardware recommended for 4K recording with Intensity Pro 4K?

PostMon Feb 25, 2019 9:58 pm

I've used an older Intensity Pro PCIe card for a while now. My current setup uses 4x 7200RPM 1 TB HDDs in RAID 0 to be able to record HD. I've noticed that once I moved to recording 1080i, Media Express is dropping video frames and the A/V is getting out of sync after about 10-15 minutes. I had no problems in the past when recording 720p.

I'm planning to buy the Intensity Pro 4K for a new HTPC, and I'd like some feedback on the build list. My understanding is that the M.2 NVMe SSDs like the Samsung EVOs and PROs are faster than multiple 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID 0, so I'm planning to use a 1 TB NVMe SSD for video recording. I've searched the forum and also the support documents from BlackMagic, but there no longer is any info on storage requirements that I could see.

I will also want to be able to play Blu-Rays and 4K movies from the HTPC, so a decent video card will also be needed.

Here's my proposed list, and I'd love to get some feedback on what is overkill, and what I might need to upgrade. I'm trying not to overspend, since I plan on also building a separate desktop for actual video editing. NOTE: I am not concerned about gaming or editing on this particular machine.

AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Crucial - Ballistix Sport AT 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

Full list on PCPartPicker:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PYcsNQ

Return to Getting Started