Best Practice for Using Hyperdeck Studio Mini SDI Outputs?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

BeanBean

Best Practice for Using Hyperdeck Studio Mini SDI Outputs?

PostMon Mar 04, 2019 9:22 pm

In my setup I use two hyperdeck studio minis to record simultaneously, but since I haven't yet had a failure of any sort, I'm curious what the best practice for reliability in my case might be.

At the moment I have an SDI video feed coming from my camera into a BMD audio embedder, which then sends the joint audio/video signal to my hyperdeck mini, which I then daisy chain to the second mini via the first mini's SDI output.

I'm going to be adding a videohub to the mix soon, and am curious if I should be running two outputs from the videohub, one to each mini, or if I'd be ok running one output from the videohub to the first mini, then running from the first mini to the second mini.

I have a total of 6 hyperdeck minis in my setup, so I'd have to go with a 20x20 instead of a 12x12, adding $600 in cost. If this would provide me with a more reliable setup, that's fine, but not knowing exactly how the hyperdeck minis SDI output is configured and what sort of reliability it has, I don't know if the extra output from the videohub is overkill.

Any advice is appreciated!

Return to Getting Started