Advice and Suggestions

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

reels.on.wheels.vancouver

Advice and Suggestions

PostWed Mar 13, 2019 8:12 pm

Good morning all, I'm Marco from Vancouver, BC.

I submitted to the Blackmagic folk and they suggested I post a query here to get some advice. I would like to get a shopping list (of sorts) for a new set up based around the Pocket Cinema 4K camera. Here is my dilema at this time as well as my current kit:

BACKGROUND
I run a mobile filming business, I work in film & tv in Vancouver. I do on site self tapes for a lot of the actors up here from LA, NYC and Hollywood in general. I am branching out into corporate video work as well as I've been approached recently by several people to film longer, more involved productions. My current set up includes a Lumix G85, Rode Pro mic (on camera mounted), 3x dimmable LED, pop-up backdrop; the kit is VERY portable, can set up in virtually any situation and on-set/on-site config. I also do the majority of the editing for these 2:30-5:00 minute max 'self-tapes' in Final Cut Pro on an older MacBook Pro. With this set up I can be ready to shoot in less than 15 minutes from arrival on site. This is very important.

NEED
As I've been approached to produce longer, higher value reels for some clients outside of the film & tv biz, I feel I am requiring an upgrade in hardware, but I still need the portability and ease of set up. I'm getting a new MacBook Pro (i7 6-core 2.6, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, 4GB Invidia 560x) which should handle Davinci Resolve (for the bigger projects) and the Pocket Cinema 4K but need to know what the basics to connect everything to the MBP in a live filming and/or at home office editing situation. In this case simpler is better. Also, overall budget is a big consideration as well for the camera and hardware needs, I don't have $20K to spend. Camera + video hardware to connect to MBP + Video Assit device (?).

Any suggestions for a decent 'Get Started" set up would be great. Thank you.

Marco @ Reels on Wheels
Marco Renna
REELS ON WHEELS Mobile Audition/Demo Filming
w: https://reels-on-wheels.com

daisie678

Re: Advice and Suggestions

PostMon Mar 08, 2021 5:09 am

To be very honest I can't help you but maybe I think you can help me as I read your whole msg and I see that you are using a Blackmagic 4k camera, so my question is that can this camera is good for a beginner or do I need to go to other options? looking for a positive response.
Thank you in Advance!

Return to Cinematography