SDI / HDMI cross convert on BM Viseo Assist monitor recorder

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Helicam International

SDI / HDMI cross convert on BM Viseo Assist monitor recorder

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 3:33 pm

I cannot find references to this facility in any of the tech spec details.

I am aware of the SDI and HDMI loops, but do either of the Blackmagic Video Assist monitor/recorders convert an SDI input and send it out of the HDMI at the same time - and vice versa?

Graham Hay
Helicam International

Denny Smith

Re: SDI / HDMI cross convert on BM Viseo Assist monitor reco

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 4:36 pm

Yes, both Video Assist recorder/monitors have independent inputs/outputs. None are true “loop through”.
The signal feed into either the HDMI or SDI is sent to the video processor, which then outputs the “processed signal” to both the HDMI and SDI outputs. So a HDMI or SDI input is feed to both HDMI and SDI outs. Since the output is post processed video, there is is slight delay between the input signal, and the output signal. When the VA is not recording, the signal is passed through tomthe outputs from the inputs, so very little if any delay. The VA 5-inch will take a UHD input, and down convert it to HD, for recording and the outputs are HD (not UHD even if UHD is on the input side).
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Greg_E

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 5:23 pm

And I believe (haven't tried it yet) that you can apply a LUT to the output signals (example LOG in and REC709 out).

Xtreemtec

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 5:38 pm

Greg_E wrote:And I believe (haven't tried it yet) that you can apply a LUT to the output signals (example LOG in and REC709 out).

Only in the 4K version if i remember correct. This is not possible on the 5".
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Helicam International

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 8:49 pm

Thank you gentlemen, very helpful responses.

The reason I ask is because I am considering an external monitor recorder a) for a better on-camera monitor and b) to record to ProRes instead of the Panasonic P2 internal MXF files, which require converting before being able to edit.

I had been considering an Atomos Shogun Inferno, because that one certainly gives out SDI and HDMI, but I am really bothered by its inability to display the whole image with some aspect ratios. If the BM VA does the job, there is no need to spend the extra.

Greg_E

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Yes, I'm not sure if the 5 inch will apply the LUT to the output. But I do know they added LUTs to the 5 inch for the display. In theory they could be calibrated by one of these LUTs.

Return to Getting Started