same dongle for Linux- Mac and Windows-version of DaVinci

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

bill890

same dongle for Linux- Mac and Windows-version of DaVinci

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 2:39 pm

Hello

I intend to buy the Studio version of DaVinci Resolve. Whether the Linux-, the Windows- or the Mac-version is not yet deceided..

Does the same Studio-Dongle work for the Linux-. on the Mac- and on the Windows-version of Davinci Resolve 15?

Thank you!

Bill

Greg_E

Re: same dongle for Linux- Mac and Windows-version of DaVinc

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 6:51 pm

Yes.

It has also been said that you might want to buy the Fusion dongle, because it will run the full version of Fusion, and Resolve, the version of Fusion built into the Resolve suite is said to missing some features (not fully integrated yet). There are a few posts on this in the Resolve section of this forum.

Also be very careful about who you buy a dongle from! There are a lot of counterfeit dongles for sale and they generally stop working with the next upgrade of the software. Also technically, the dongles that come with cameras are only supported if you still possess the camera, so you may be able to buy a real dongle from someone that bought several cameras, without the camera serial number you may lose service at some time in the future. It's a risk that you need to know about ahead of time.

bill890

Re: same dongle for Linux- Mac and Windows-version of DaVinc

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Thank's for the feedback!

->Also be very careful about wo you buy the dongle from!
My idea was, if I am going to order the studio version, the dongle will be automatically shipped by BMD to my address. Is that not the case? And why does the BMD Dongle feature a camera?

->It has also been said that you might want ro buy the fusion dongle, because
->it will run the full version of Fusion.
Interesting. In this case I will buy Fusion Studio (and do hope that Resolve Studio is "supported" as well:-)

Thank you!

Best regards,

Bill

Return to Getting Started