Video Assist-might be stupid...

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Mark Day

Video Assist-might be stupid...

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 4:03 pm

This might sound a little stupid but.... You'll say, "why don't you read the manual?" Well I did but it seemed a little ambiguous to me. Am I understanding the manual to say that when I use the video assist, that I can actually record to the SD cards in the Video Assist INSTEAD of having to record to the SSD I have in the camera? The manual seems to suggest it, but.... I have the original Blackmagic Cinema Camera in 2.5K.
Thanks
"Never mistake education for intelligence".

Denny Smith

Re: Video Assist-might be stupid...

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 4:15 pm

Yes, you can record any signal on the VA being received and displayed, by just pressing the record button on the VA. But, this is limited to recording ProRes or DNxHD codec (Rec 709 or Film Log) only. No Raw recording. No advantage over the SSD in the camera, other than media type and cost. But if you have the smaller 5-inch HD model finding a SD card that currently records video is limited.

The only advantage is to have a possible backup Film Log file or ready to view Rec 709 file to give to a customer. Otherwise, the camera’s SSD is a better recording media, if you use the correct SSD.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Mark Day

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Thanks!
"Never mistake education for intelligence".

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 7:23 am

Павел, you posts are not published as your registration does not include your full real name as per the forum requirements. Please contact Tony from this thread to update your registration
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24780
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to Getting Started