Ultra Studio Mini and Parallels Virtual Machine

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

violin teacher

PostTue May 07, 2019 5:39 am

While my UltraStudio Mini recorder works great on my late model iMac running Mojave, the device isn't recognized at all under a Windows 10 Virtual Machine. Drivers and Media express all installed without any errors. Tried all the rebooting, reinstalling, etc. Even contacted Parallels support, but no luck.

All I see under Parallels is an Ultra Studio Mini Audio Device. But Media Express and OBS fail to find the recorder.

Anyone have any luck making this work?

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue May 07, 2019 8:44 am

This wil not work with your virtual machine software as it does not support the passthru of pcie devices , which is what you would need for it to work. Parralels is limited to simlpe devices like usb, some audio etc
You would require hypervisor type of virtualisation. These solutions can passthru pcie devices like graphics cards , ultra studio cards etc.
It is not something you an install on top of OSX hosts
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

violin teacher

Re: Ultra Studio Mini and Parallels Virtual Machine

PostTue May 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Thank you for clearing that up. Time to find another solution!

Return to Getting Started