Sound is captured, but video isn't?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Rob Rosenblatt

Sound is captured, but video isn't?

PostTue May 14, 2019 6:31 pm

I don't use this often, but the last time I did (at least a year ago), everything worked fine. I've got a VHS in the VCR, which is hooked up to a TBC, which is hooked up to my Intensity. As I'm trying to capture the video in Media Express, I'm not getting any video. When I play back the file that was captured, I can hear the audio, but I get a blank screen (not even static).

Can anyone advise on an incorrect setting I might have or something else?

Rob Rosenblatt

Re: Sound is captured, but video isn't?

PostWed May 15, 2019 4:01 pm

JasonWilli wrote:I suggest you can try stellar repair for video software which is helpful to repair your video files if it's corrupted or damaged.

I don't think anything is wrong with the file. It's not that the file won't play, it's that the video isn't captured from the VHS.

Denny Smith

PostWed May 15, 2019 4:55 pm

That’s my guess also, this is why you need a monitor between the VCR player and the TBC and between the TBC and intensity (you can use a single monitor switched to show one and the other). This way you can see what the VCR/TBC is doing and conform you actually have a video image, and it’s quality. I use a Sony 8-inch CRT type SD field monitor which has two inputs you can switch from the front. I have an extra monitor available, if you need one, send me a PM for details.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Rob Rosenblatt

PostThu May 16, 2019 7:52 pm

It was the time base corrector. Apparently I no longer need it. <shrug>

Return to Getting Started