Why Your Intensity Thunderbolt Not Connecting via USB-C

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

James Roller

Why Your Intensity Thunderbolt Not Connecting via USB-C

PostWed May 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Hopefully, this will help some of you who are struggling to connect your Thunderbolt to your new MacBook or other USB-C based Mac.

Short answer:
You might just have the wrong cable. You need the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter from Apple.

Longer answer:
When I got my new laptop in 2017, I was a bit put off by Apple's move to having only USB-C ports, but I also remember when they dropped the floppy. It is who Apple is, right?

Anyway, I purchased a multi-function dongle for most of my needs, but when it came time to connect my Intensity Thunderbolt to my new laptop (this is something I might need once or twice a year; I am a teacher and not in the video business), I realized I would need a new cable to make the connection.

I did my research and ended up purchasing what I thought was the right thing. That was a USB-C to Mini Display port connector.

I plugged it in, everything fit perfectly, I turned on the camera... and voila! Only there was no voila...

I couldn't figure it out and gave up.

As the need arose again recently when I was asked to stream our high school's graduation ceremony, I set back to work.

First I thought I had the wrong BM software. The new one I downloaded didn't seem the same as the old one I used that came with the IST.

Kept doing some research but there was simply nothing that was easy for me to find. I reached out to support, (who was helpful and pointed me in the right direction) but in the interim I went back to my Amazon order for the connector I purchased and read the Q&A on that product, searching for "BlackMagic" among the questions/comments.

Lo and behold, someone had asked about the IST and the company responded saying that their product is for going from USB-C out to MDP and would not do what the IST needed.

Then I got the email from BM support telling me what I needed.

Went down to the Apple store, bought the adapter, came home, plugged everything in....and voila!

Only this time there was a voila!

Now everything works great.

Cheers and hope this helps someone out there in my shoes, thinking that you have the right connection because everything fits, but you don't really have the right connector at all.

Xtreemtec

Re: Why Your Intensity Thunderbolt Not Connecting via USB-C

PostWed May 22, 2019 2:52 pm

Display adapter is only output. For outputting to a screen. And is not there to run BMD hardware altrough MDP and TB share the same style of connectors..

The same problem will come with USB-C.. People think that Ultrastudio HD will work because it has a USB-C connector. But the specs clearly state you need TB3 (Which is the same connector style)..

So not every port that is Physical a USB-C port has the hardware behind it to run Thunderbolt. Just to make it that more difficult :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Getting Started