Nikon and Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

bcb22089

Nikon and Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

PostWed May 22, 2019 2:58 pm

I have a D7500 which records the same frame rate which the Ultrastudio Mini Recorder says it is compatible with. My MacBook pro is reading the USMR, but the camera is not being recognized.

I also own an older BMPCC and it is connecting fine on a second USMR.

Does the USMR simply not work with Nikon cameras?

Denny Smith

Re: Nikon and Ultrastudio Mini Recorder

PostWed May 22, 2019 5:02 pm

You need to,pay attention to how you have the D7500 setup. According to Tom Hogan, check the following:
You should probably take the internal storage cards out of the camera (e.g. XQD and CompactFlash on the D4, CompactFlash and SD on the D610, D800 models, XQD and SD on the D500, D850, and D5 models). This isn't technically necessary any more, but there are things you can do if a card is in the camera that'll reset the HDMI output to 720P that won't happen if no card is in the camera. On the D4s, D5, D500, D750, D810, D850, D7200, and D7500 models you don’t need to take the card out...

You set your frame size/rate via Movie Settings, as usual.
You need to turn HDMI/Advanced/Live view on-screen display to Off and HDMI/Advance/Output display size to 100%. These are not the defaults!

Depending upon what you're trying to do and what quality you desire, there may be more HDMI/movie settings you'll want to make. One to pay attention to is whether you want to output full or limited range. If you're new to video, you're going to get caught by this one eventually. Best choice: Limited range, as it puts black and white points within broadcast video safe limits.

If you're doing long takes, you must set CSM #C4 Live View to No Limit.
You generate the HDMI stream by using Video Live View (i.e. move the Live View lever to video, press the Live View button)

While Tom says you can leave the card in, try removing it to see if this fixes your output issue. Also hook the camera hdmi to a TV monitor to see what the camera actually outputs at the setting you have selected.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

bcb22089

PostWed May 22, 2019 5:37 pm

thanks for that. unfortunately, still not working. i have tried the mini recorder with a BMPCC and it works fine so i know that's not the issue. all of the setting are correct unless there is something I am missing.

tbandej

PostMon Mar 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Was this issue resolved? I have the same issue.

Return to Getting Started