KeyKode and Audio Reader issues

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

wilcox36

KeyKode and Audio Reader issues

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Hello! I'm hoping users who have the KeyKode and Audio Reader attached to their cintel scanner can help. Every time I try to capture 16mm film with mag stripe audio, the images look fine but the audio is high-pitched and slightly distorted. I can correct the pitch via Clip Attributes, but should I have to? The Reader is supposed to be maintaining a 48kHz sample rate, but is there something I need to adjust in my capture settings prior to scanning? Please help!

iMac Pro (2017) | macOS Mojave v. 10.14.5 | 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W Processor | 64GB 2666 MHz DDR 4 Memory | 27" Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB Monitor | Blackmagic Cintel Scaner | Blackmagic KeyKode and Audio Reader

James Little

Blackmagic Design

Re: KeyKode and Audio Reader issues

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 4:36 am

Hi There,

this sounds like it might be better off coming through support as it sounds like there is a potential hardware issue. Could you touch base with your local support office and they will get in touch with us.

Please provide them the CRIs from the sample scan in question so we can have a look.

I presume your audio reader is working fine for optical audio.

Cheers,

James

wilcox36

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi James,

Thank you for your suggestions. I have been working with Blackmagic techs on this issue for some time now. I sent back our original unit under warranty and received a replacement unit last week. I tested the new unit shortly before leaving for a conference, and experienced the same issue. With the original unit, the same issue occurred with optical audio. I have not yet scanned optical with the replacement unit.

I will gather the CRIs from the scan I made prior to leaving.

Sincerely,

Matthew

James Little

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 3:25 am

Hi Matthew,

that sounds frustrating. Perhaps there is something amiss with the actual port on the Scanner then if 2x Reader's have experienced audio ingest issues. I would suggest for now to focus all attention on optical audio, to confirm whether the port itself is working correctly or not, given you had previously had issues with that.

If you can kick up another thread with support, it should come my way anyways behind the scenes, but then we can more aggressively focus on what's going on.

Regards,

James

wilcox36

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi James,

Through a collaboration with a Blackmagic Tech and one of my IT colleagues, my KeyKode and Audio reader is now capture and playing back mag stripe audio in the correct pitch. However, I've notice the audio also has a warble, and I know the audio tracking knob only corrects optical audio. Any suggestions?

Matthew

Return to Getting Started