Composite PAL Capture Not Working At All / Intensity Shuttle

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

beatkamp

Composite PAL Capture Not Working At All / Intensity Shuttle

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 1:43 am

I purchased the Intensity Shuttle specifically to capture PAL composite video from a
video synthesizer.

The synthesizer works on everything, old monitors, new projectors, VCR's, DVD recorders, really cheap video digitizers, etc.

It does not work at all with the Intensity Shuttle. I am using the USB version.

Ocasionally, I will see a flash of a single frame and then the capture screen goes black.

I have read all of the documentation and tried every combination of settings and cannot get composite video to capture. Is there some kind of secret setting somewhere to get this to work? The box is clearly marked "Video In" so this must work.

Help appreciated. I have spent hours and hours and gotten nowhere and need to work.

Massimiliano Celindano

Re: Composite PAL Capture Not Working At All / Intensity Shu

PostFri Jun 28, 2019 6:06 pm

It sounds like it's not stable enough or the sync is disturbed by the macrovision pulses. Try to bypass the signal through a DVD recorder with "TBC-like" functionality (eg. Pana DMR-ESXX series)

Eric-Jan

PostSat Jun 29, 2019 2:20 pm

You are very shure you have set the Video Desktop "driver" for the Intensity Shuttle ? resolution, fame rate, progressive or interlaced must be exact set, Otherwise like allready said, using a VCR as throughput may help, it should have a TBC feature, or it should be VCR,DVD combo (both have recording features, so not a VCR DVD player)
btw. what do you need as output format ? MPG2(DVD) or MP4 ?
The Intensity Shuttle does need a very stable PAL/NTSC signal, indeed a big chance this video synteziser, isn't up to that. You should be careful if you are thinking buying something like a TBC, these devices come in different levels of quality or specifications what they are capable of.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

beatkamp

PostTue Feb 18, 2020 6:18 am

Yes, I had everything set correctly. The PAL video sources I need to record are of various types from 70's and 80's era computer equipment. The box should have had a warning on the front cover of something to the effect of "warning, this device will only capture the most pristine and synchronized video". I got rid of the Shuttle and now use a very very inexpensive chinese capture device that works perfectly.

There is no reason why the Intensity Shuttle could not be coded to capture all variety of crufty and bizarre composite video sources. I am sure its a great product in other areas but it is useless for composite video in general.

Eric-Jan

PostWed Feb 19, 2020 12:00 am

And we are also a few months further, since you posted... what i recently discovered, is that when using a composite to HDMI converter between any VHS VCR and the Intensity Shuttle , which previously did not work on the Intensity Shuttle, will work via the HDMI input with this converter, it works, but sometimes you see some imperfections, but this converter is relative cheap, (matchbox format) not as cheap as any easycrapture device, but you get what you pay for, and with real crappy vhs tapes, all of them will drop frames, or get out of sync (with audio). My recorder combo was a lucky shot, that's mostly because it has component out for the vhs deck in it. The component output was mostly for video projectors in those days, and HDMI was not a fact then...
This converter has also no problems with PAL60 or NTSC50 it converts to 1920x1080p60 or 1280x720p60 (with a switch) advantage is, you have a de-interlaced capture, you only have to set your aspect ratio to 4:3 because the image is stretched up to the full 16:9 format.
So you can use Davinci Resolve for this, only the Studio version can do de-interlacing.
Resolve has a very useful crop and transform functions, using ProRes422 Proxy is also enough for capturing with Media Express.
Intensity Shuttle, ATEM Mini, Video Assist 5"(mini USB), Hyperdeck ShuttleHD,Analog to SDI mini-converter, software: Davinci Resolve 15 on Sierra, Resolve 18 on Catalina. (Using Apple OS 32 & 64 bit on different MacBook Pro's

Return to Getting Started