Video Assist 4k bigger batteries? And screen calibration?

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Greg_E

Video Assist 4k bigger batteries? And screen calibration?

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 5:48 pm

I recently bought a VA4K but i didn't come with batteries, I also have a VA 5 inch at work which uses batteries very quickly... Is there a larger battery that will mount on the plate on these monitors? Or am I going to have to get a V mount and attach it to the back of the VA4k?

Trying to avoid the Vmount option for right now.

Also, is there any way that BMD can make software that lets us adjust the RGB levels, and even better if the PC/Mac utility can be made to work with DisplayCal to create a 3D LUT for calibration? I did what I could running the output of Resolve through my Intensity Shuttle USB and used DisplayCal to create a LUT, then loaded that LUT into the monitor... It looks pretty close but I think there are still some improvements to be had if we had the correct controls in the software or hardware menu. The blue level was really low for a D65 video setting that DisplayCal wants to use for REC709 calibrations.

Denny Smith

Re: Video Assist 4k bigger batteries? And screen calibration

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 4:52 pm

This was discussed to death when the VA was released and again, and again every since. A search on VA 5-inch issues would have given you the works.
But here you go with the short answer:
1. Battery you have many choices, but only two Mount directly to the VA. One is to get a NP (Sony) to (Canon) LP-E6-6 battery sled that allows you to use Sony NP type batteries (least expensive, but fiddley)
Next for a larger capacity, see (pg 3): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71520&start=100

This is the solution I use for my Micro Camera and Monitor, this will power both, and comes with correct cables (does not power the monitor via the LP-E6 Mount, which is an option that allows it to be mounted to the monitor. It can also be mounted to a camera or anywhere you want.

2. VA color calibration, what you see is what you get. A color calibrated field Monitor it is not. Adding RGB or normal monitor calibration option has been requested for both VA monitors since day two of its release. The first run of VA 5-inch where high in green, with no option to correct this by user. After more than three years it has not happened, and I would not hold your breath. My so,Union was to run color saturation all,the way down and use the VA as a B&W Monitor, which works better to judge focus and exposure, you are not distracted by the color display.

Hope this helps ;)
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Greg_E

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 2:42 pm

Thanks. I looked a bit for Sony battery to Canon camera adapters and came up empty, I'll do a bit more research on that. As far as building a battery pack thing, it's a novel idea but at that point I might was well just go up to a V mount or build something that takes another common battery. An old NP1 style battery might work out well, and I have those battery boxes around (and chargers and maybe even some batteries if they still work).

To the calibration... Maybe if they keep getting asked, they will one day let us have better controls. Running through the LUT process does help, and it's pretty close now. But it would be nicer if I could hit the correct white point.

Denny Smith

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 4:21 pm

On the current VA, color calibration is a hardware limitation, or it would have been done.
Dimetry’s battery pack, while originally made for the Micro Camera, can be used anywhere a V-Mount can be used, but it is smaller and lighter. He sells the kit ready made (see the last page of the reference I posted), all you do is add the batteries, which is around $20 for a set of batteries. The optional E6 battery mount, allows you do mount it directly to the monitor.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Patrick Baldwin

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 9:07 pm

[quote="Greg_E"]I recently bought a VA4K but i didn't come with batteries, I also have a VA 5 inch at work which uses batteries very quickly... Is there a larger battery that will mount on the plate on these monitors? Or am I going to have to get a V mount and attach it to the back of the VA4k?

I use this with Sony BPU batteries which I already had.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

I screw it to the Smallrig cages I use and it plugs into the mains jack on the VA's.

Denny Smith

PostFri Jul 26, 2019 3:35 pm

As I previously mentioned, Demitry’s new batter back, has great capacity and holds a shelf charge nicely, and is half the size of a V mount battery, would offering similar advantages. It will power a VA for most of the day, and with his optional E6 Mount, will slip into the battery mount on the VA or mount to a cage. Power is via the supplied power cord to the VA power input.
See (pg 3): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71520&start=100
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started