Very new user: Can't add media

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DocRap

Very new user: Can't add media

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 1:23 am

I'm a brand new user to Resolve. Used to use Adobe Premiere and loved it.
I can NOT add new media. When I click on the directory on the left of the screen, NO files appear (even though there are dozens there). I try to drag and drop from a separate window, but it won't work. I tried with the original media files (.mpg's), then converted them all to .avi's, but neither format seems to work. What am I doing wrong?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: VERY new user: Can't add media

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 11:27 am

It could be your files are not ones that Resolve can read, or not that the free version can read, or that you do not have the appropriate hardware to work correctly.

Please review this thread on the DaVinci Resolve forum for guidance on providing info so someone can assist.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

note, there may be more help on the specialty Resolve forum.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

DocRap

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 1:35 pm

Can't seem to find the FAQ that answers the question, but I'll look again. Meantime, the videos I'm trying to add are .avi's. My computer can play them, so the codec is there. I also tried .mpg's, but my computer doesn't have that codec. What videos does the free version support?

J

Brad Hurley

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 3:34 pm

DocRap wrote:What videos does the free version support?

J

See https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... c_List.pdf

Note that .avi and .mpg are not actually codecs; you'll see the full list of file formats and codecs in the PDF file linked to above.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

DocRap

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 5:29 pm

Ok. Well, according to that it SHOULD have supported the .avi AND the .mpg, which it didn't. I don't mind paying for the upgrade to full format, but it didn't seem that upgrading changed the compatibility issue. Is there something I'm missing? I'll try again, and I'll try converting the videos to .mov's, but it doesn't seem I should have that much trouble on step 1, "drag and drop."
Thanks for the help so far. Fingers crossed I get past this quickly. Any and all advice appreciated.

Ole Kristiansen

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 6:05 pm

Can you upload a avi and mpg clip - then we can test if we can get them to work in Davinci ?

VioletWolf

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Are the clips 4k? I think the free version won't do 4k but I might be mistaken..
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

DocRap

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 6:33 pm

I doubt it. They're from a 15 year old Sony Handycam (mpg's converted to avi's). I doubt it worked in 4K, but I'll double check. That might be simple to correct. And would be worth investing in the full version.

DocRap

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 7:10 pm

Ole: Probably CAN upload a clip. (Tomorrow, though...they're at home and I'm at work.)

teemochs

PostWed Jul 24, 2019 12:17 am

I'm discovering that Davinci cannot seem to decode the Blackmagic Raw file that are in the 12x compression factor. Seems to read others without a Problem. These are 4k DCI files.... Have to play some more, but DV just will not import them..

Return to DaVinci Resolve