Mini Converter Optical Fiber 12G throwing signal out of sync

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

hhelmbold

Mini Converter Optical Fiber 12G throwing signal out of sync

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 5:14 pm

This has been the toughest troubleshooting but also the most extensive troubleshooting I have ever done and the conclusion is that the Mini Converter Optical Fiber 12G modules throws the video signal out of sync. But what makes this even worse is that it only happens with certain slides in a presentation and there is absolutely nothing special about these slides. It is a basic background image with text over it.

We run a mini Mac with macOS Sierra on it through a BM HDMI-SDI mini converter that goes into a Carbonite switcher. We have ruled out the Carbonite because the problem happens directly from the BM converter as well (bypassing the Carbonite)

From the switcher it goes into a Mini Converter Optical Fiber 12G and then about 60m fiber to another Mini Converter Optical Fiber 12G which is connected to the projector.

I have used 2 other Mini Converter Optical Fiber units and connected it to a HDMI screen using a SDI-HDMI mini converter, this replicated the problem

When I replace the Mini Converter Optical Fiber 12G with a SDI cable, then everything works perfectly.

We have used 6 different Mini Converter Optical Fiber 12G modules and different SFP modules and different fibre cables. We can replicate this issue with all the converters.

We are running in 1080i/50 - switching to 1080p/25 seems to make the problem worse.

My understanding is that once you set the output on a Mac or PC to a certain resolution, it should only be able to output at that resolution. Why is it changing that for different slides in Keynotes and on Powerpoint, and why is this only an issue with the fiber converters?

Xtreemtec

Re: Mini Converter Optical Fiber 12G throwing signal out of

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 7:32 am

What fiber modules (SFP's) are you using?

Might have to do with bandwitdh that the SFP can handle. Depending on what you are using. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

hhelmbold

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 3:25 pm

We using Mikrotik and Scoop (supplier branded) SFP modules - SFP LC 1310nm. Typing this I just realised it might definately be the SFP modules... These are only 1.25Gb/s modules, so for basic networking they will be fine but 3G is more than double that speed. I am definately going to try other ones.

It still doesn't answer the question on why one slide or HD video will work 100% fine and the next slide with just text will throw out the signal completely?

Thank you! I have been looking the problem in the face the whole time and I cannot believe the penny didn't drop. So used to doing networks and thinking WOW we have a 1Gbps connection and not thinking about 3G actually being faster than 1G :lol:

Greg_E

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Wouldn't you want the SR fiber links for this (850nm) since the distance is so short? I know you can get these in 10gb versions because I'm using them on my network right now for server to switch connections. I don't have any of the BMD fiber converters, so I may be completely wrong here.

hhelmbold

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 8:03 am

Greg - do you mean Multi Mode fibers? I am not familiar with SR. The fiber cable we have is Single Mode and it's much easier to obtain. If something claims to be able to go 3 - 10km then it should definately be able to go 100m :lol:

Xtreemtec

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 9:31 am

Well network SFP's are not even suitable for video transmission. There is a different error correction algoritm active due too the way the video data is transported.

Check the word Pathelogical Pattern ;)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49172&p=323070&hilit=pathelogical#p289360
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Greg_E

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 4:17 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Well network SFP's are not even suitable for video transmission. There is a different error correction algoritm active due too the way the video data is transported.

Check the word Pathelogical Pattern ;)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49172&p=323070&hilit=pathelogical#p289360

That is also true, really need the video specific SFP modules, had forgotten about that.

hhelmbold

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 5:14 am

@Xtreemtec Thank you so much... I just feel so stupid that I actually stared at the problem all along and it never clicked :oops: My mind kept saying 1K video = 1G, 2K video = 2G etc :o Very silly I know.

Swoped SFP modules and all is good now.

Return to Getting Started