H.264 Pro Recorder Ubuntu installation. Device not detected.

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

jznack

H.264 Pro Recorder Ubuntu installation. Device not detected.

PostTue Aug 13, 2019 5:42 am

Hello, thank you in advance for any assistance.

I'm trying to setup an H.264 Pro Recorder box in Ubuntu. The goal is to have a camera stream captured on a mini PC and the file transferred to a server on the network. This currently works with Windows 10, but we'd like to switch to Linux for security and performance.

Unfortunately I'm having some trouble having the device show up. When launching Media Express it says "Blackmagic hardware could not be found in your system. Please the the installation."

Here are the details and what I've tried so far.

The mini PC is a low powered Atom unit, but the box is detected and media express is able to capture the camera stream without issue. So I know the mini PC is capable of it.

I've tried the following in Ubuntu 19.04, 18,04, 17,10, 17,04 with the same results. I've also tried it on another PC entirely with Ubuntu 19 and 18. Same results.

On a clean install, I download Desktop Video 11.3 (also tried 11.2 and all the way back to the last version 10 release.

I verify that dkms is installed.

I run
Code: Select all
# sudo dpkg -i desktopvideo_*.deb desktopvideo-gui_*.deb mediaexpress_*.deb
and the packages install successfully.

I run
# sudo apt-get install -f
and nothing else needs to be updated.

I run
# lspci | grep Blackmagic
and get no response.

I run
# lsmod | grep blackmagic
and get no response.

I run
# dkms status -m blackmagic
and it says both blackmagic and blackmagic-io 11.3 are installed.

I run
# sudo modprobe blackmagic
and
# sudo modprobe blackmagic-io
both complete without errors.

Now when I run code]# lsmod | grep blackmagic[/code] it replies with blackmagic_io and blackmagic.

I run
# lspci | grep Blackmagic
and get no response.

I've tried rebooting, I've tried different USB ports both USB2 and USB3. The device never shows up in Media Express.

After a reboot, lsmod shows no driver loaded, and I have to use modprobe to get it to show up again.

I never get any errors messages that indicate something is gone wrong.

I know 19.04 isn't supported, so I tried with 18.04 which apparently is, but the result is the same.

I've found a few threads from searching that may indicate similar issues with no real solutions.

I did find this thread from a few months back, but I'm not a Linux guru and I don't know if this is my issue or how the fix applies. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=83962#p490323

I'm stuck at this point and would appreciate any help or guidance. I really don't want to have to go back to Windows for this. Managing a windows install is one thing, but trying to manage 30 or 300 remotely is a nightmare. If we can't get this to work I'm afraid we'll have to switch to a different capture option entirely.

Thanks

jznack

Re: H.264 Pro Recorder Ubuntu installation. Device not detec

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm

Is there no one that has any input on this?

We're literally buying dozens of these encoder boxes at 600$ a piece.

Return to Getting Started