Looking to buy 5" model Video Assist and have a question

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

peter-s-c

Looking to buy 5" model Video Assist and have a question

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 4:29 pm

Since the 5" model records to U3 SD cards, it's limited to 1080p as I understand it.

However, when recording long videos where the file size will exceed 4GB, does the 5" Video Assist model create multiple 4GB files with no frames dropped?

Peter Charles

Brad Hurley

Re: Looking to buy 5" model Video Assist and have a question

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 5:02 pm

I don't think the 4 gigabyte file size limit applies here -- the only two formats supported are exFAT (not FAT32) or the Mac HFS+ format. You can record very large files in either format. For example see http://www.ntfs.com/exfat-comparison.htm

However, your bigger issue with the 5" Video Assist will be finding compatible cards. See the discussions in the Cinematography Forum on compatible cards for the original Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera; the same issues generally apply to the 5" video assist, except that since it can't record raw you can get by with slightly slower cards. There are a few models available from Kingston and Angelbird. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83050
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

peter-s-c

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 5:10 pm

If the unit supports MAC HFS+ or exFAT then we're fine as typical prosumer cameras only record in FAT32. I'll look up the card issue.

Thanks

Denny Smith

PostMon Aug 26, 2019 11:00 pm

There are some SD cards that will work with the VA, since it is not recording Raw, it is not like the BMCC and Micro camera with the card issue. Angel bird makes two size SD cards that will work, and depending on your fraame rate, if you keep it at 30p or lower, some of the SanDisk newer cards will work.
See BMD’s suggested SD card list for the VA.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Getting Started