Teranex Mini convertors and DAs not working together

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

ksummerall

Teranex Mini convertors and DAs not working together

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 3:41 pm

I have 2 Teranex Mini Converters (HDMI-SDI) and 2 Teranex SDI DAs in a rack with a Hyperdeck Mini and Web Presenter along with a bunch of other gear. This is an open rack so I don't think that heat plays a part here.

All of the Teranex products are running FW 7.0. Converters are set to Force HD and Interlace, if we didn't do this they were not working with the switcher or anything else.

So here's our set up and what's happening.

Mac Mini (latest OS, etc) Thunderbolt to HDMI converter (Apple) feeds into Mini Converter, then SDI out to DA feeding Ikan Teleprompters. When connected in this manner we get NO signal on the Teleprompters at all.

We also have another DA in the rack. It is feeding program monitors around the studio, as well as the Web Presenter and Hyperdeck Mini with an SDI feed directly from the BMD TV Studio Pro switcher. This works fine.

We did ALOT of trouble shooting, checking cables, etc. We narrowed down the issue by trying this. I took one of the outputs from the DA that feeds our Teleprompters and connected it to the output of the Mini Converter and it worked on that one prompter. So I figured we might have a bad DA. I ran the output of the Mini Converter to the other DA in the rack (goes to the Program monitors) and everything went black. I should be seeing the prompter output on the Program monitors but I am getting nothing. I look at the confidence monitors on the Hyperdeck and Web Presenter and I can see an image but it is distorted.

Seems if I eliminate either of the Teranex products then things work. Connecting the two together seems to break things.

Things I've tried-
Downgraded to FW 6.0 - same thing
Double checked Mac Mini outputs, set to 1080i/60 - same thing
Switched from the HDMI adapter to the HDMI output on the Mac - Same thing
Called Tech Support - don't get me started
Double and triple checked all cables and connections and settings

Did I mention that I have an identical Mac running ProPresenter that we are feeding into the switcher with an identical Mini Converter that works fine. If I connect an output from that Mini Converter to a DA however, it breaks.

I'm at a loss.

BTW, I am a BMD dealer so this isn't our first rodeo.

I need to figure this out and I need your help!

Thanks
Ken Summerall
Ken Summerall, Jr
Ken Summerall Productions

ksummerall

Re: Teranex Mini convertors and DAs not working together

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 2:18 pm

I've spoken with Blackmagic tech support and they seem to be scratching their heads as well.

Could this be a power issue?

I can't remember without looking in the rack if all of the converters and DAs are powered from the same Furman Power Distro or not. I'll look tomorrow when I am on site.
Ken Summerall, Jr

ksummerall

Re: Teranex Mini convertors and DAs not working together

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 9:15 pm

OK. I have sort of figured it out.

The DAs DO NOT like it when you convert an HDMI signal from a Mac and try to distribute it. I'm not sure if this is some DHCP thing or not. I tried the Teranex converter, and micro converter and a Decimator MDHX, all with the same results.

Ended up removing the Teranex units and using the 4 SDI outs on the Decimator. Problem solved.

K
Ken Summerall, Jr

Return to Getting Started