Software for multiple recording

Getting started with a Blackmagic product? Ask questions here about setup and installation.
  • Author

Rune Antonsen

Software for multiple recording

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi!
Anyone know of a software that can record multiple streams (4 hd streams), and encode it on the fly to mp4 and h.264.

And maybe do playback of one of the streams with a choosen delay (like 1,5 min)
My hardware:
Macpro,12 core, max ram. Gonna buy new hdds (ssd raid) since there is only one 1tb hdd in it now and probably wont manage 4 HD recordings at one time. And a decklink quad card.

Any help is highly appricated!

Kind regards
Rune Antonsen

movie-apps

Re: Software for multiple recording

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi Rune

If you need to to establish your workflow on one computer only you may have a look on the website of our colleques : http://www.softronmedia.com/products/movierecorder.html

If you can afford 4 x macmini's with attached UltraStudio 3D than we can offer you soon a 64Bit recorder app with a remote control which handles your job perfectly. The controller remotes currently up to 6 recorder apps. We are testing 1080p 60 captures from an Ultrastudio 3D Device and have no dropframe yet. For output format you have beside ProRes422 also mp4 / h.264 available.

For playback streams during recording (playback while ingest) you can use our new movieola player.
See : http://www.movie-apps.de

regards
Heinz

Rune Antonsen

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 9:31 am

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.
I've tried Softron's software and I'm very pleased with it, the only thing is that the h.264 settings are all fixed so i can't tune it to my needs. When i try to record a 720p stream it becomes very huge. Like 7-8GB for 30 mins, i would preferable get 4GB or below for 30 mins, i think the macpro is powerful enough to do a better compression rate since it's fully spec'd with 12 cores and 64gb mem. And with the new 4xSSD raid it should be no problem on the write speed to the hdds either?
Or am i wrong here?

I have 3 cameras and a Quad combiner. The 3 cameras i would like to get stored as mp4/h.264, the quad combiner could be stored in a format that i can do edit-while-ingest so i can play it back to a monitor.

Kind regards
Rune Antonsen

movie-apps

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 10:28 am

Hi Rune

As far as I am experienced h.264 compression is fix. You might choose a smaller output format, like half the size of a frame, if that helps for your application.

What is a quad combiner ?

regards

Heinz

Ivan Tanaskovic

PostTue Aug 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Try toolsonair.com

Rune Antonsen

PostWed Aug 29, 2012 9:38 pm

movie-apps:
Yeah, the compression is fixed :/ 480p looks so bad compared to 720p.

http://www.decimator.com/Products/MD_Quad/MD_Quad.html
It's just to combine all the video feeds to one feed.

Ivan Tanaskovic:
Thanks, I'll look at this.

What I've started to play with as well is VLC. What I've read i could completely control every setting and if it should be played back or it should just run in the background and so on..
But so far I've been unable to compile VLC under Mac do to lack of knowledge on how install different library's and stuff. I've installed Mac ports and installed most of them, but the compile doesn't find any of the... Trying more on this tomorrow.
One solution is to just install Ubuntu or something on the Mac and us that instead...

Kind regards
Rune Antonsen

Return to Getting Started