Video Assist Dark Spot

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Rob Lawrence

Video Assist Dark Spot

PostTue Nov 24, 2015 2:21 am

I have been testing the Video Assist and have discovered a dark spot near the center of the screen. It is not a sensor or lens issue as I have checked both. The unit has no perceptible damage to the exterior or any scratches or indents to the screen itself; however, the unit was purchased used from B&H (registered as quality #9 "Shows signs of use, but very clean").

I could talk to B&H about this matter, but was curious if this problem can be fixed somehow by a user, I'd like to keep the unit, and I guess I could live with it, but it would be annoying when people keep asking me what the smudge is...

I have uploaded a JPEG for reference. I took it with my cellphone so it is hard to see, but it is there and I added an arrow to indicate where the dark spot is located.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob
Attachments
video assist dark spot.jpg
video assist dark spot.jpg (765.93 KiB) Viewed 9086 times

rick.lang

Re: Video Assist Dark Spot

PostMon Nov 30, 2015 7:36 pm

Have you cleaned the surface? I wonder how f something dripped on the LCD screen's glass cover and it wasn't completely removed by cleaning. Hope it's not on the inside surface of the glass!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Ivon Visalli

PostMon Nov 30, 2015 9:19 pm

I've seen this with LCDs when they are damaged by impact. Can you take a look at the VA, looking at it horizontally to see if the surface is completely smooth and level?

Jason R. Johnston

PostMon Nov 30, 2015 9:42 pm

Ivon Visalli wrote:I've seen this with LCDs when they are damaged by impact. Can you take a look at the VA, looking at it horizontally to see if the surface is completely smooth and level?

I was going to say the same thing. Also, when an LCD surface is pressed too hard that part of the surface will glow white for an instant. When it's broken, it'll take longer for the white blob to go away. And sometimes they don't go away. Sometimes the white blob becomes a black blob. The little screen bruise in your picture suggests the screen was pushed too hard, either operator error or maybe in transit? Gently tapping a touchscreen shouldn't break it so it must be something else.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

Denny Smith

PostMon Nov 30, 2015 11:33 pm

I just checked my Video Assist with a white card, and have a smilar blueish spot off to the left of center, you can see it also in the zoom to focus feature. Did not notice that before the update. So, needless to say, I am looking into this, and going to roll back to Ver. 1.0 and see if is an LCD issue or something else.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 12:53 am

Rob Lawrence wrote:I have been testing the Video Assist and have discovered a dark spot near the center of the screen. It is not a sensor or lens issue as I have checked both.

I could talk to B&H about this matter, but was curious if this problem can be fixed somehow by a user, I'd like to keep the unit, and I guess I could live with it, but it would be annoying when people keep asking me what the smudge is...

I have uploaded a JPEG for reference. I took it with my cellphone so it is hard to see, but it is there and I added an arrow to indicate where the dark spot is located.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

OK, rolled back the firmware update, but the little bluish spot (as shown in the above photo) is still there. Also when monitor is turned on, you can see the area when looking at it at an angle, and it gets wittily, if you press gently in the screen in this area.

Sent a note to BM support, referenced this thread. Mlet's see what happens.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Rob Lawrence

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 1:35 am

Interesting that you have the same issue Denny. I worked with it on two commercial shoots and with the speed of my operation is became a non-issue for me. It is only annoying when I have time to slow down and really scrutinize every detail... So, it is something I could live with, however BMD is advising me to have it sent it for possible repairs, but I am trying to figure out if my used VA is covered.

John Brawley

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 2:31 am

It looks like what I call an impact bruise.

It might be worth checking with B&H if they will look to do a return if you think it's not been caused by you.

JB.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 4:05 am

Thanks John, that is what I think, and since it is in the same spot approximately on two monitors... I sent a note to BM. My VA came from Adorama, so getting it back to them is not easy.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

cinetrade

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 9:00 am

I have that exact dark spot in the exact same spot on mine too

Alexsey Baranez

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 1:03 pm

BM should fix this global problem!
Last edited by Alexsey Baranez on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my bad english
BMVA 5" + Canon EOS C100 mk2 + Canon XC10 ...

rick.lang

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 1:24 pm

Quality Assurance Quality Control? This doesn't look like an isolated issue with several people finding the same problem once it is drawn to their attention. No doubt BMD will stand behind the product, but what or who is causing the LCD to be damaged?

Rick Lang

Paul Swan

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 1:45 pm

so the main phrase of "shipping when" topic is that people trully beleive blackmagic doesn't ship products at time to make sure everything will be super perfect and we all will receive spaceship technologies
But i read this forum for a while and see that its products are great but far away from perfect
Especially this is a big problem for countries that doesn't have official dealers. I planned to buy VA but will hold for a while

Leon Benzakein

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Having checked my VA after reading this post I too have a blueish spot on the right side of the monitor.
With the video I/O on the left side(auto rotation) the spot is in line with the "NO CARD" indicator on the VA screen.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 5:22 pm

Me thinks this is a manufacturing issue, or a quality control miss on the panel itself, or how they are being assembled, causing the bruise in the relative same spot. Mine is fairly faint only shows up on a light colored background, and does not stop using the VA to focus, frame, etc. But, that said, it should not have an issue like this, either. I have sent a note to BM, will follow up with a call today, now that we can show this is not an isolated issue. Hope it is only on the first run, and not all of them!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 02, 2015 12:17 am

Heard back from BM, they sent me a RMA request form to complete and get a RMA to return the Video Asisist for repair or replacement. So I will compete form, and see what happens next.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tom Jones

PostWed Dec 02, 2015 5:42 am

Denny Smith wrote:Heard back from BM, they sent me a RMA request form to complete and get a RMA to return the Video Asisist for repair or replacement. So I will compete form, and see what happens next.
Cheers

Hopefully you get a fix for the problem soon.

I also had the same issue with mine but just cancelled my order for the 4.6K URSA Mini so might be returning the monitor too. It's a bit of a shame because it is actually a half decent external monitor.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Go ahead and contact your regions support office and they can give you further guidance if you happen to see this with your Video Assist.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 02, 2015 9:38 pm

Thanks for the update Tony. Is this an issue,you have ID and corrected with the Video Assist, or is?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostThu Dec 03, 2015 3:14 am

I'm supposed to get a VA tomorrow. I'll check on this problem and report my findings.

Denny Smith

PostThu Dec 03, 2015 7:26 pm

I sent my RMA request in yesterday, will let you know how it goes.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostThu Dec 03, 2015 11:08 pm

Received a Return Authorization and sent VA back to BM Calif. will keep you posted
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 3:31 am

Just got my VA a few hours ago. Set it up, did a 1.1 firmware update. Shot a uniform white background, changed the time. Here is what I got so far.

1. When upgrading the firmware the unit did not like my USB hub. It would only load about 27% and then stop. At one point I thought I had bricked the unit. Then I tried a USB port connected directly to my motherboard and it worked fine. I'm now upgraded.

2. The battery charge display appears to have a significant update lag. It took it a few minutes to register that I had installed 100% charged batteries.

3. I did not notice any dark spots on the display. It does appear to have a side to side gradient. Not too bad but noticeable.

4. I set the time when 1.0 was installed. Was able to change the time with no problems. After installing 1.1 the time was still set correctly however I was unable to change it.

5. No problems recording. Seems to work fine with my BMPCC.

This is my first VA, and I think it's a pretty neat gadget. But then what do I know.

Denny Smith

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 6:17 am

Looks like they fixed the known issues, with dark spot and time/date changing. Mine is on its way to BM, it will be interesting to see what comes back. Note, as you learned, always plug a camera or video device directly onto the computer directly, not to a USB hub, including the Apple keyboard hub/connectors. You need full bandwidth for running firmware upgrades, a hub shares the bandwidth with connected devices.

Glad yours is working correctly.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 12:28 pm

They haven't fixed the 1.1 setting time issue.

Al Slamecka

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 12:46 pm

Confirming what Gene is seeing re: saving time/date with v1.1 firmware. I'm able to access and change the time/date in the Setup menu however after clicking on 'Save', the VA time/date is not updated.

Also confirming that my unit has the blue spot on the left side. I wonder what the turnaround time is for an RMA... was planning to use the VA a lot for the Christmas holidays.

Gene Kochanowsky

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Note, as you learned, always plug a camera or video device directly onto the computer directly, not to a USB hub, including the Apple keyboard hub/connectors. You need full bandwidth for running firmware upgrades, a hub shares the bandwidth with connected devices.

Glad yours is working correctly.
Cheers

This would indicate that the VA firmware update algorithm is not synchronous.
Last edited by Gene Kochanowsky on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 3:57 pm

FYI there is a post started for the time/date issue.
I contacted BMD and waiting for response for this issue.
I will be posting outcome on that thread.

Video Assist cannot edit date and time

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42363
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Denny Smith

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:They haven't fixed the 1.1 setting time issue.

You are right, I misread your first post, sorry.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Slamecka wrote:... Also confirming that my unit has the blue spot on the left side. I wonder what the turnaround time is for an RMA... was planning to use the VA a lot for the Christmas holidays.

Unless you send it today and have been told it will be back in your hands in two weeks, I would wait until January. Since it doesn't affect your footage, why gamble? You may win but so what, it's the same video image. And if you lose, and don't get the camera back for the holidays: major impact.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostFri Dec 04, 2015 7:34 pm

I will know shortly, my VA got delivered to the RMA dept in San Lenorando today at 1120, so see when they notify me it is on the way back.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 4:24 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I will know shortly, my VA got delivered to the RMA dept in San Lenorando today at 1120, so see when they notify me it is on the way back.
Cheers

Hi Denny
Do you have an update on the status of your VA?
Mailed mine 12/9/15(yesterday).
I would like to know what I am in for.

Be alert, your country needs Lerts.
Peace! :ugeek:

Denny Smith

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 4:46 pm

Leon, BM got mine last Friday, and it went to their RMA dept. for "repair or replacement" haven not heard anything this week yet, but this is usually a 1-2 week process, hoping for the former. Will keep you posted. It has and will continue to rain around here all week long, so this was a good time to get it fixed.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 11:26 pm

Denny Smith wrote: It has and will continue to rain around here all week long

Good, that means that we in Southern California will be able to shower next Summer.

I hope you keep your feet dry and your whiskey wet.

Bottoms up!

According to FedEx mine should be dropped off in Fremont tomorrow.

Denny Smith

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 11:31 pm

Thanks, but there is a movement up here to dam up the canal at Bakersfield, and keep the water for growing food, instead of watering lawns and filling private swimming pools in SoCal. :mrgreen:

Just got caught in a downpour while filling some holes from stump grinding this morning, had hail coming down too, and got soaked to the skin! Put the tractor away wet! Me, I am warming up in front of a fire with a nice glass of wine.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 1:00 am

OK, Leon, kidding aside, just got a BM/FedEx email that my VA is on its way back to me today, should be here tomorrow. So turnaround time was one week, door to door. Very nice quick service!
PS, SoCal is supposed to get more Rain this winter than we are up here, enjoy the wet!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 3:49 pm

Thanks for the update.

Food? What's that? In Socal we get by living on joie de vivre.

You forgot to mention the golf courses.
Be prepared to defend yourselves from irate golf club swinging hipsters.

Creating and filling in holes, now there's a pastime.

I am impressed with the turn-around time.
Well done BMD.

I am getting my water wings and inner tube ready.

Chin chin!

Denny Smith

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 5:44 pm

Right Leon, forgot about the golf courses, either they survive on ground water as my "lawns" ( actually wild grass fields) do, or they get brown. Now, golf on brown, dry grass could be a challenge in itself!

According to this morning's news, it is going to be a "wet" winter due to the El Niño, but I go two boats, one here at the house (small folding dingy) and a 17-foot Faering in the harbor boat house. I am ready -- let it rain!
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 5:50 pm

Denny Smith wrote:According to this morning's news, it is going to be a "wet" winter due to the El Niño, but I go two boats, one here at the house (small folding dingy) and a 17-foot Faering in the harbor boat house. I am ready -- let it rain!

Henceforth you shall be known to me as NOAH. :P

Denny Smith

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 6:10 pm

And Leon, due to your wisdom here on the Forum, he shall henceforth be known as "David"!
Have a great weekend mate!
Cheers
"Noah"
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 7:36 pm

Denny Smith wrote:here on the Forum

A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum.
I hope your weekend is not too wet.
Salud!
"David"

rick.lang

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 8:11 pm

Denny Smith wrote:And Leon, due to your wisdom here on the Forum, he shall henceforth be known as "David"!
Have a great weekend mate!
Cheers
"Noah"

Denny, back to Bible study you go: you meant Solomon, David's son with Bathsheba, as in the "wisdom of Solomon."

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 8:19 pm

Rick, that's a good one, and I thought if that, but Leon's "wisdom" is more in keeping with David's love songs (psalms of David),
So "David" is more of a "tounge in check" reference, as he not know so much for being wise nor as serious as Solomon.

Getting back to the topic, I am still sitting here waiting for the FedEx delivery of my Video Assist, it is, "on the truck, out for delivery" but one of the two main highways into this area is "under water" on the west end if it, and closed.
As I was writing this, the FedEx truck just pulled up, with my VA. So now I have it back, one week turnaround, very good service, thanks BM!
Looks like they repaired the one I sent back. My camera and batteries are out in the studio, so I am going to wait for a break in the rain to go get them to rest the VA.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 9:05 pm

me not wise
me likee David
David the Giant Slayer

I was going to suggest that you use your boat to get the VA, but that is not necessary now.

I am interested in the repair job and if they sorted out the date/time problem.
I asked that that be looked at while they have mine.

FYI it is raining in Burbank 1:04 12/11/15

Denny Smith

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 9:36 pm

OK, it stopped raining, got my Micro Studio camera and batteries from the Studio. Fired up the VA with a previously recorded SD card (one I used to test for the spot, which does not record BTW), screen is great, no dark spot/bruise visible. Also, discovered without a camera connected, the VA will play all the recorded clips (at the same frame rate as the last recordings) and you can use the bar to scrub through all the clips.

OK, will go check the date setting, still not working on this update. I think this is a firmware issue, rather than hardware, because it did work before the firmware update 1.1.

BTW, David is one of my favorite characters from the BC period, like you, he seems to have a great sense of humor, was bold and a lover! What more could you want?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 10:20 pm

So the VA came back better than it left, Great!

It stopped raining in Burbank two minutes after it started.
That is our problem in Socal we have a problem with keeping anything up for any length of time.
That explains the movie business down here and runaway productions.
Must be the food or the lack of penguins.

Denny Smith wrote:BTW, David is one of my favorite characters from the BC period, like you, he seems to have a great sense of humor, was bold and a lover! What more could you want?

My VA working 100%
Last edited by Leon Benzakein on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leon Benzakein

PostFri Dec 11, 2015 10:36 pm

My VA was delivered to BMD Fremont at 1:49 12/11/15
So far very impressed with the RMA process.

Good for you BMD. :)

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 4:13 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:Go ahead and contact your regions support office and they can give you further guidance if you happen to see this with your Video Assist.

Hello Tony Rivera

I have sent you a Private Message concerning my RMA experience regarding my VA and the blue spot.
The PM seems to be stuck in the Outbox.
I would appreciate it if you would read the PM.

Many thanks
Cheers
Leon

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 5:07 pm

Hi Tony

Thank you for getting back to me via PM.

Much appreciated.

Return to Cinematography