Blackmagic Camera App - Issues/Bugs

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

willtindall

Blackmagic Camera App Internal Storage Issue and Feature Req

PostThu Jan 04, 2024 9:15 pm

Hi everyone, just want to make sure this issue is known in the Blackmagic Camera App and if anyone is facing the same one, but on my new iPhone 15 Pro with the base 128 GB storage, it doesn't appear whether I delete or add media that the internal storage changes much and the same goes when I attempt to change resolution, frame rate, or color space.

This is in the storage indicator function of Blackmagic Camera App. And the amount of recording time changes regularly every time I open the app again. I'm not a professional filmmaker by any means but I want to know if this is a bug in the Blackmagic Camera app and if it is, hopefully can be fixed. Hopefully this issue isn't one that just always happens with the base model iPhones.

I understand how hard the development team works on this app as much as the other apps and appreciate it greatly. This app is still a great app in my opinion, other than this internal storage reading issue. And unless there is a way to audio monitor in Blackmagic Camera App, I think this could be a great feature to add in as well. :D

Huge respect to how much work is put into this app.
Last edited by willtindall on Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Uli Plank

Re: Blackmagic Camera App - Issues/Bugs

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 4:20 am

@Kurt
Please see my post in the CP3 thread regarding time-lapse:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=193419&p=1011170#p1010845

For me, it's case closed if there are no new observations.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rick.lang

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 5:17 pm

Just a heads-up on MediaInfo:
I couldn’t get rid of the 371 GB ProRes test file that I had opened in MediaInfo. Only by checking the iPhone Storage did I learn it was hanging onto the videos it had reviewed. Had to delete the piece of crap to finally reduce my phone storage. Glad your experience has been better but the iOS MediaInfo app has been horrible. I’ll just use the MediaInfo version I have on the Mac.
Rick Lang

kfriis

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 5:20 pm

rick.lang wrote:Just a heads-up on MediaInfo:
I couldn’t get rid of the 371 GB ProRes test file that I had opened in MediaInfo. Only by checking the iPhone Storage did I learn it was hanging onto the videos it had reviewed. Had to delete the piece of crap to finally reduce my phone storage. Glad your experience has been better but the iOS MediaInfo app has been horrible. I’ll just use the MediaInfo version I have on the Mac.

It also was short-lived on my iOS/ipadOS gear.

On macOS it works, as expected (haven't discovered any "side effects", like those for iOS).

Regards

rick.lang

PostFri Jan 05, 2024 5:21 pm

Thanks, misery loves company so I’m feeling better already.
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostSat Jan 06, 2024 2:00 am

Yeah, that one is crap. Get the MacOS or Windows version.
On the Mac, I can recommend Invisor for a few bugs. It offers side-by-side comparisons, which make it much easier to spot suspicious differences.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

film6x6

PostTue Jan 23, 2024 5:23 pm

Is there any talks of a "Select all" "Slide to select" feature to be added when exporting media? This would be great rather than having to tap files individually.

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 24, 2024 11:21 pm

Use “Files” instead.

Peter McLennan

PostThu Jan 25, 2024 4:41 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Use “Files” instead.

Indeed. A swipe motion selects all.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

robedge

PostThu Jan 25, 2024 7:43 pm

The apps Files and Photos are mature Apple apps. Both have ways to select multiple files. Blackmagic offers them as storage destinations. "In-App", like the Blackmagic app generally, is presumably a work in progress.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices

LackMagic

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 11:49 pm

I'm noticing often when bringing footage I've shot in 24fps that it shows as 24.01fps in Premiere Pro. Is this a Premiere thing? Or is the app shooting this buggy?
iPhone 15 Pro Max here.

rick.lang

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 9:35 pm

There are many posts here about getting small variations in frame rate. Sometimes it may only be at the very beginning of the shot. Review the relevant posts in this thread.
Rick Lang

LackMagic

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 10:27 pm

rick.lang wrote:There are many posts here about getting small variations in frame rate. Sometimes it may only be at the very beginning of the shot. Review the relevant posts in this thread.

Yeah I looked, but I don't have time to review the forum's history, sorry if that's irritating, but it's life. Gotta jump in somewhere!
I had hoped this app would be a little closer to a professional tool, to use it in a pinch, but this and a few other things are disappointing and holding it back. It's a great hobbyist tool and the price is right, so I guess putting up with random crashes and annoyances is the real cost. :ugeek:

robedge

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 11:33 pm

LackMagic wrote:I'm noticing often when bringing footage I've shot in 24fps that it shows as 24.01fps in Premiere Pro. Is this a Premiere thing? Or is the app shooting this buggy?
iPhone 15 Pro Max here.

Smartphones have a variable frame rate. As Rick suggests, you're about to learn about that :)

Uli Plank

PostFri Feb 09, 2024 1:55 am

All smartphone recordings I have come across have such variations. The amount of variation I get from the iPhone is the lowest in the industry, but it’s still there. Far less than one percent, though.
Live with it, get a “real” camera, or wait for a fix (if ever). Apart from some drones and most computer recordings I never seen variations, even from relatively cheap cameras.

Steve Ascher

Unstable image - due to stabilization? Autofocus?

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 7:11 pm

Shooting with an iPhone 15 pro; 23.98 fps; 1/48th shutter. in Prores LT, Log; 4K. I'm a professional filmmaker.

I'm finding a jumpiness in the image -- a kind of shakiness even on some locked down shots where it appears to vibrate and reposition. I'm looking at a shot now that looks like someone keeps kicking the tripod (they aren't) but the image jumps off position, then back, with a look of vibration in the process.

Also seen in handheld footage, where the camera moves and objects don't smoothly transition from one point to another, but jump in an unnatural way. This is NOT judder as one sometimes finds with slower frame rates.

I've tried turning off all stabilization, which may help a bit. But if so, means that feature is useless.

Also wondered if it might be an anomaly with autofocus - instead of smoothly transitioning from one focus point to another, it holds then jumps. But manual focus doesn't seem to kill this, and even so, autofocus shouldn't perform this way. And I'm seeing it even in locked shots where focus shouldn't be hunting.

Is anyone else seeing this? Any ideas for solutions?

Also, would love the ability to see and move or delete individual clips with finder when connecting the phone to a Macbook, instead of having to grab a folder with all the phone media in it. Unless I'm missing some other workaround?

Thanks!
Steve Ascher

AndrewInFL

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 12:48 am

I am having the exact same problem. Was there ever a resolution to this? Most clips were absolutely fine, but a two minute clip shot outside had the exact same blue “cover” that your clip did. Thanks.

kfriis

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 1:33 am

@Steve Acher Have you tried Apple Camera? Does it behave differently? If so, you’ll need to look closely at your settings (I know, Apples defaults are probably different, but just to get a feel for what is “usual standards”). Film maker or not, bad settings… and all that jazz.

A really, really good alternative to the Blackmagic Camera App is the paid app Cinema P3 Pro. In some circumstances it’s far better, than BMC. that’s not frequently maintained.

Regards

Adriano Oliveira

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 1:30 pm

False color still doesn't work over Apple Log in iPhone 15 Pro.

It should be a simple fix, I hope.
-----
Adriano Oliveira
Windows 11
RTX 3060 6GB

kfriis

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 1:02 pm

ProRES 422LT does NOT play back

I've just returned recording ProRES 422LT material the last hour around Albert Street/Center in Singapore the last hour. All internal UHD, 25fps, red or green focus peaking, otherwise fairly normal (Cinematic stabilization).

On my iPhone 15 Pro with recent iOS 17.3.1 upgrade, it is impossible to play back (even show initial image) inside Blackmagic Camera (thumbnails are shown).

When trying via the Files App, no luck. After transferring to external Samsung T7 Shield 4TB (APFS formatted) drive, no playback possible on iPhone.

On my MacBook 14 Pro M1 Pro everything pays back smoothly (at least according to initial tests on a few representative recordings out of 17.

Haven't noticed it before, since I usually transfer videos to Thunderbolt</USB drives before using. Yesterday's catch of some 300GB video from the Chingay Parade 2024 in Singapore seems to be OK, when played on the MacBook (or else... !!! ;-)

It's time to give Blackmagic Camera a thorough overhaul - or deregister the App. It is becoming more and more "flakey" in my eyes. YMMV.

Regards

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 2:36 pm

Works fine here under 17.2.1. I'm always a bit cautious with an early update.

Edit:
My wife gave me her iPhone 15 Pro, which she already updated.
It works with ProRes LT.

robedge

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 3:38 pm

kfriis wrote:
It's time to give Blackmagic Camera a thorough overhaul - or deregister the App. It is becoming more and more "flakey" in my eyes.

I have a lot more confidence in Blackmagic Design than I do in your posts.

I am not having any problem whatever playing back files in the codec that is the subject of your latest sky is falling schtick.

iOS: 17.3.1

kfriis

PostSat Feb 24, 2024 4:51 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Works fine here under 17.2.1. I'm always a bit cautious with an early update.

Edit:
My wife gave me her iPhone 15 Pro, which she already updated.
It works with ProRes LT.

Did some testing after some 3 hours (first opporyunity).

Short recordings, ProRES 422LT, 422 and 422HQ (5-6 seconds, same motif, handheld). Only codec selection modified. Blackmagic Conventions.

Same result. None of the recordings into the Blackmagic folder could be read on the iPhone.

Did a complete “reboot” (power off followed by power on).

Went immediately into BMC play. The same files in the same positions did play on tje iPhone.

Special note: Apple Camera ProRES 422HQ was not affected.

Regards

kfriis

PostSun Feb 25, 2024 1:22 pm

Recording UHD 25fps ProRES HLG recently

After around 500GByte videos, around half Apple Camera ProRES 422HQ 2020 HLG (some internal mostly external), and intermittendly ProRES 422LT (internally in ⅔ of the cases).

BMC biggest benefit:

32-bit float Audio (saved from a lot surprises)

BMC worst problem:

Switching between lenses has abrupt and visually/audibly bad influence on video and sound.
A 2x lens setting is really missed.
There is no running update of remaining “space” (lead to one nasty surprise). You can loose valuable footage that way (I lost ending of fireworks).

Suggestion (lenses)

Allow optional panel with settings x0.5 , x1, x2 and x3 buttons selectable on the fly, without “crashing” the recording during the lens switch (Apple does this beautifully, nigh to elegant).

Allow user selectable zoom speed. For example add an up and down button to the lens setting panel(6 buttons in all). When up is tap’d, there is the user specified zoom duration from current to next higher, reverse process, when down is selected. A full up and full down option would be nice too.

That would enable quick action, when needed, without loosing the options for “managed zoom”.

Conclusion:

When I’m not space restricted and using external recording, I prefer Apple Camera any time. It’s simpler to handle in a pinch, no (not so)hidden gotchas, and Apple automatically switches between external and internal recording. When you get the feeling. that now is the time to switch media, just stop, unplug external media. Should anything unexpected turn up, just start recording (internally). When you’re ready to switch from internal to a new external media, just connect and continue as you were. Automatic switching at it’s most intelligent.

Extra comments: s

If you use APFS formatted target SSD’s 4TB poses no problems. With ExFAT problems start around 2TB.

I haven’t tested APFS encrypted media (may be of value in some reportage situations, where the “rubber hose” based universal key is not the most probable “unlocking approach” ;-)

YMMV.

Regards

sevrin

PostMon Feb 26, 2024 10:21 am

Lock focus/exposure stabilisation issue
Hi All
New member, I have just started using the BMC app on my iPhone 15 Pro Max, and experiencing a problem with the lock focus and exposure mode, it works fine when in off and standard stabilisation, but when stabilisation is set to cinematic or extreme, as soon as you hit the record button, it goes out of focus, can anyone help me out with this please, is it a bug, or just me doing something wrong? Many thanks in advance.

kfriis

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 1:06 am

sevrin wrote:Lock focus/exposure stabilisation issue
Hi All
New member, I have just started using the BMC app on my iPhone 15 Pro Max, and experiencing a problem with the lock focus and exposure mode, it works fine when in off and standard stabilisation, but when stabilisation is set to cinematic or extreme, as soon as you hit the record button, it goes out of focus, can anyone help me out with this please, is it a bug, or just me doing something wrong? Many thanks in advance.

Happens to me to. Sometimes it helps to tap to refocus, but it is inconsistent in my view. I’ve stopped using Blackmagic Camera, where the 32–bit float audio is not mandatory.

Until Blackmagic solves the problem use Apple Camera, if possible.

If a paid solution is fine with you, try Cinema P3 Pro.

Regards

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 1:13 am

Second that, those few bucks (no subscription) are money well spent. I have an ongoing love affair with CinemaP3, as Rob Edge likes to word it, and she didn't disappoint me ;-)
And then, the developer is very responsive, while the development of the BM Camera app seems to have cooled down a bit a few weeks after all the initial hype with the Apple presentation. I don't blame them for this, it's a free app, and they are probably very busy with other stuff for NAB.

Peter McLennan

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 4:04 pm

Cinema P3 Pro paid version is $20 USD, IIRC. Not what you'd call a usurious price point.

The developer is extremely responsive, usually replying within hours.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 4:15 pm

I paid 12 €.

sevrin

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 4:53 pm

kfriis wrote:
sevrin wrote:Lock focus/exposure stabilisation issue
Hi All

Happens to me to. Sometimes it helps to tap to refocus, but it is inconsistent in my view. I’ve stopped using Blackmagic Camera, where the 32–bit float audio is not mandatory.

Until Blackmagic solves the problem use Apple Camera, if possible.

If a paid solution is fine with you, try Cinema P3 Pro.

Regards

Many thanks Kurt, thought it was just me doing something wrong!, hopefully a bug that will be ironed out in a future update.

kfriis

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 5:38 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I paid 12 €.

I can’t even remember, what I paid. Was long ago…

I agree wholeheartedly with everybody’s assessment. The developer is unique, in the positive sense.

Regards

Jamie LeJeune

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 6:30 pm

A consequence of the variable frame rate issue is that Resolve, FCP and Premiere all duplicate frames in playback and render of the random variable rate ProRes files recorded on iPhone 15 Pro by the BMD app. Quicktime Player does not display the source files with duplicated frames, likely because it doesn't have to adhere to a constant frame rate like an NLE. Randomly duplicated frames are a real problem that will trigger a QC fail. I would not shoot anything that matters on this until Apple is able to make it reliably record constant rate.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

kfriis

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 12:11 pm

Lens switching problem/bug

It’s about time, to solve the “lens switching bug” in the Blackmagic Camera App (and also add the option “x2” to the standard selections 13, 24 and 77mm for completeness).

The effect of a very few lens switches (from 24 to 77 and back), can clearly be seen here:

Recording without any lens selection
    Video
    ID : 1
    Format : ProRes
    Format version : Version 0
    Format profile : 422 HQ
    Codec ID : apch
    Duration : 1 min 35 s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 1 479 Mb/s
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 2 160 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 49.917 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 50.083 FPS

Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 3.565
    Stream size : 16.4 GiB (100%)
    Title : Core Media Video
    Writing library : Apple
    Encoded date : 2024-03-05 07:43:51 UTC
    Tagged date : 2024-03-05 07:45:27 UTC
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics : HLG
    Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Similar recording with very few lens selections
    Video
    ID : 1
    Format : ProRes
    Format version : Version 0
    Format profile : 422 HQ
    Codec ID : apch
    Duration : 1 min 55 s
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 1 459 Mb/s
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 2 160 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 49.736 FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 4.150 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 50.125 FPS

Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 3.537
    Stream size : 19.7 GiB (100%)
    Title : Core Media Video
    Writing library : Apple
    Encoded date : 2024-03-05 07:47:20 UTC
    Tagged date : 2024-03-05 07:49:17 UTC
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics : HLG
    Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant

The effect is dramatic, and affects everything, including sound.

In some cases, when unexpected things happen in wild and wonderfull life, there is no alternative to switching lenses during recording - except completely forego the use of Blackmagic Camera App in all situations involving the possible occurrence of unplanned elements (travel, reportage etc).

In some cases, the ONLY reason for selecting Blackmagic Camera is the option to record in IEEE float, compared to using Apple Camera, when external and separate audio recording is not an option in the moment.

Apple Camera has no such side effect. Cinema P3 Pro doesn’t exhibit the problem either.

Is there a tentative prognosis and time horizon for an "update and bug removal" version in the works?

Regards

Uli Plank

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 2:08 pm

BM never talks about such things, but if they care beyond the huge Apple presentation hype, I'd assume NAB would be the right time for a new version.

kfriis

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 2:12 pm

Uli Plank wrote:BM never talks about such things, but if they care beyond the huge Apple presentation hype, I'd assume NAB would be the right time for a new version.

Never is a strong word (smile)

It doesn’t hurt to (tentatively) indicate the direction and speed of one or more possible journeys.

Regards

Steve Ascher

PostTue Mar 19, 2024 6:59 pm

kfriis wrote:@Steve Acher Have you tried Apple Camera? Does it behave differently? If so, you’ll need to look closely at your settings (I know, Apples defaults are probably different, but just to get a feel for what is “usual standards”). Film maker or not, bad settings… and all that jazz.

Yes - the native Apple app has none of that instability. but manual control much more limited, so it's not a good substitute. Some shooting with BMC has been more successful, esp when left on autofocus and stabilization minimal or off.

A really, really good alternative to the Blackmagic Camera App is the paid app Cinema P3 Pro. In some circumstances it’s far better, than BMC. that’s not frequently maintained.

Just switched to Cinema P3 which is really nicely designed. Motion seems smoother. Controls are good. File management better (easy to get access to individual files via finder on iphone which I cannot make work with BMD app.) Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards

Steve
Last edited by Steve Ascher on Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamiSeeker

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 am

I've been using this app and loving it but there has been one issue that I haven't been able to figure out a solution for.

When any type of notification comes up the recording stops. Iphone 12 and iphone 12 pro max fully updated. I've mostly been able to get around this issue by putting the phones on airplane and turning off wifi and bluetooth. Recently the %20 battery notification stopped my recording and it seems there is absolutely no way to avoid this notification on iphones. Anyone else know how to prevent notifications from stopping recordings? I film yoga classes on my phones and it is a pain to finish and see the recording had stopped. Even if I connect an external battery to fix this issue I'm afraid I'll just experience another random notification that with stop the recording. The default camera app seems to keep recording but I'd definitely prefer to use blackmagic cam.

Another bug that hasn't been too big of an issue:
Sometimes the available recording time says I can't record very much but there is plenty of space on the phone. Or I'll go to my storage and there will be "system data" taking up the whole phone after deleting videos and I need to restart the phone to reclaim the space.

Thanks!

kfriis

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 pm

SamiSeeker wrote:I've been using this app and loving it but there has been one issue that I haven't been able to figure out a solution for.

When any type of notification comes up the recording stops. Iphone 12 and iphone 12 pro max fully updated. I've mostly been able to get around this issue by putting the phones on airplane and turning off wifi and bluetooth. Recently the %20 battery notification stopped my recording and it seems there is absolutely no way to avoid this notification on iphones. Anyone else know how to prevent notifications from stopping recordings? I film yoga classes on my phones and it is a pain to finish and see the recording had stopped. Even if I connect an external battery to fix this issue I'm afraid I'll just experience another random notification that with stop the recording. The default camera app seems to keep recording but I'd definitely prefer to use blackmagic cam.

Another bug that hasn't been too big of an issue:
Sometimes the available recording time says I can't record very much but there is plenty of space on the phone. Or I'll go to my storage and there will be "system data" taking up the whole phone after deleting videos and I need to restart the phone to reclaim the space.

Thanks!

Try looking into “Focus” option “Do not disturb”. That will stop most notifications.

You can assign the effect on a per app basis, so they when you start - for instance - BMC “Do Not Disturb” is activated (shown on screen), and when the App is stopped, “Do Not Disturb” will be automatically deactivated again (also indicated on screen).

Try it. It actually works. Automagically,

Alarms and timers cannot be “blocked”, but phone calls will not reach you, and the caller will automatically be notified, that you’re occupied.

Maybe there exists a few other warnings (lik low battery - haven’t tested that one), but…

Regards

stjernholm

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 12:52 pm

Overall, I think the current release of the Camera app is nothing short of amazing. It really fills a hole, having a timecoded B-roll ready in your pocket at all times!

ONE PROBLEM REMAINS THOUGH! : FILE management!

With a iPhone 15 Max you could shoot for a couple of hours in Prores 4K format, and this is where hell breaks loose, as there is no real intelligent, FAST way of transferring the files to the workstation in apples closed loop access to the phone storage.. Airdrop is a joke for files this big. I often get weird stops where one side looses connection.. iCloud is a joke as well, not prioritizing speed.. and wifi ITSELF is a limiting factor..

Well, the phone has a fast USB-C connector, but there is no option to save the files in a way, that can make them transferrable via that, UNLESS you save them in the photos library, witch causes a hell on earth for your iCloud account that is not build to handle files that size.

Is it possible for blackmagic to build in a smarter way of doing good, old, (FAST) file transfers from the app to the computer, NOT using wifi, bluetooth, cloud?

Anyone else having this problem? Am I missing something?

kfriis

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 1:09 pm

stjernholm wrote:Overall, I think the current release of the Camera app is nothing short of amazing. It really fills a hole, having a timecoded B-roll ready in your pocket at all times!

ONE PROBLEM REMAINS THOUGH! : FILE management!

With a iPhone 15 Max you could shoot for a couple of hours in Prores 4K format, and this is where hell breaks loose, as there is no real intelligent, FAST way of transferring the files to the workstation in apples closed loop access to the phone storage.. Airdrop is a joke for files this big. I often get weird stops where one side looses connection.. iCloud is a joke as well, not prioritizing speed.. and wifi ITSELF is a limiting factor..

Well, the phone has a fast USB-C connector, but there is no option to save the files in a way, that can make them transferrable via that, UNLESS you save them in the photos library, witch causes a hell on earth for your iCloud account that is not build to handle files that size.

Is it possible for blackmagic to build in a smarter way of doing good, old, (FAST) file transfers from the app to the computer, NOT using wifi, bluetooth, cloud?

Anyone else having this problem? Am I missing something?

Look here:

https://www.stratospherix.com/products/ ... fessional/

FileBrowser Pro (Stratospheric) is NOT free, but has been updated and extended for years on end. It's serious stuff, so... better look, at their website for the Full Monty on the product (AND of course in the AppStore). Version 24.3 was made available two weeks ago.

I've used it for years and years and years. The current versions has options, you don't get anywhere else (my opinion). It's not the fastest (transfer speed), but it is the only App I trust (mostly ;-) for once in a lifetime file copies.

Whatever your needs, you can probably find a "in-app based scripted" solution. If not, contact the company. They are usually very responsive - within a day or two (taking timezones into account). Bugs are handled promptly, and you are informed of their approach in each case (at least I have been, in the few cases I have encountered over the years). As in all "special cases", they may not "see the light" immediately, but if you can document the error or need, they usually accept your persistence. They always listen, is my conclusion. What more can you ask for.

I'm not saying, it suits anyones needs. I'm just saying, the App may suit yours, but ONLY you can decide, if it is fit for YOUR purpose.

Have fun checking the limits ;-)

Regards

Uli Plank

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 1:16 pm

Seconded, but the free solution is this:
You can either hang a USB-C drive onto the phone when shooting, or afterwards. Blackmagic is storing the clips in its own folder, just like other apps. The Files app will be your tool to move them around, and while you need to get used to it, it is fast. This is the main reason to call the iPhone a professional tool, since Airdrop and all the other possibilities are dead slow. It'll look something like this (nearly empty here):
Folders.jpg
Folders.jpg (109.74 KiB) Viewed 2415 times

stjernholm

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 1:51 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Seconded, but the free solution is this:
You can either hang a USB-C drive onto the phone when shooting, or afterwards. Blackmagic is storing the clips in its own folder, just like other apps. The Files app will be your tool to move them around, and while you need to get used to it, it is fast. This is the main reason to call the iPhone a professional tool, since Airdrop and all the other possibilities are dead slow. It'll look something like this (nearly empty here):
Folders.jpg

How do you get access to the files via cable on the mac?

Will the iPhone 15 Pro Max using Bæackmagic cam app record to, AND power a drive like the Samsung T3?

If yes, what format do the drive need to be formatted to?

robedge

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 2:04 pm

stjernholm wrote:

... Am I missing something?

The Blackmagic Camera app expressly allows you to save your files to Apple’s Files app. From there, they can be transferred via USB-C. The Files app is used by countless people every day to store and share/transfer work data.

BM Media.jpeg
BM Media.jpeg (77.9 KiB) Viewed 2345 times

Also, nothing requires Photo app content to be saved to iCloud. If you don’t want that content copied to iCloud as a matter of course, then don’t. Just turn that off.

Uli Plank

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 2:45 pm

I can record directly to a T5, powered by the iPhone. A fully charged Max still showed 42% of battery after 2 hours of recording ProRes 422 HQ at 25 fps in UHD. Format can be APFS or HFS+.

stjernholm

PostSun Mar 31, 2024 10:36 am

Thank you so much for your help, gentlemen! Sometimes, you just cant see the forrest for the trees!

I ended up finding the app iMazing for the file management, that seemed a little more easy to overview for me. Works great and can also manage the phone.

indigogo

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 6:14 pm

Hi everyone!
iPhone 15 pro Max, 50 fps angle 180 4K H.256, standard stabilization, apple log, with and without LUT enabled - the latest update added image jerks during monitoring with medium, fast movements, and in the video review you can see jerks and something like a strobe. This has never happened before...
In the standard iPhone application - at 30 and 60 fps everything is smooth
I tried in Blackmagic cam changing it to 60 fps, there are fewer jerks, but they are still there.

Maybe I missed something or some setting has a problem, who came across? Or an update bug?

Updated app in iPhone 11 pro Max - same problem..!
Last edited by indigogo on Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 6:35 pm

Can you try deleting the app and re installing
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

indigogo

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 6:49 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Can you try deleting the app and re installing

Ok, I'll try now

indigogo

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 7:15 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Can you try deleting the app and re installing

deleting, reinstalled, the problem is still there :(

Shylie

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 7:23 am

AndrewInFL wrote:I am having the exact same problem. Was there ever a resolution to this? Most clips were absolutely fine, but a two minute clip shot outside had the exact same blue “cover” that your clip did. Thanks.

'm experiencing the same issue. Was there ever a solution? Most clips are fine, but outdoor shots have the same blue cover.[https://pmkisanyojanastatus.com/]PM Kisan Status[/url]
Previous

Return to Cinematography