BMPCC6k wouldn't turn on (screen wouldn't illuminate) or off

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sean Weaver

BMPCC6k wouldn't turn on (screen wouldn't illuminate) or off

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 5:19 am

The BMPCC6k I bought mid 2021 has had a few rounds of bizarre behavior the past 6 months or so. One time last November or so the touchscreen locked, and I had to power down and restart. After that, several times I'd flip the camera switch to the off position but it wouldn't actually turn off. The screen would turn off if I recall correctly but the camera was still running and I could hear it. I had to remove the battery and re-seat it in order to get things up and running again.

By far this was the worst and scariest just now.

Since the Status light has not been turning off when charging (but the camera works fine -- and to be clear, the status light DOES turn off when I power off the camera with no charging cord connected), I was going to switch it on to see the voltage reading on the battery-icon....but when I flipped it on, the screen was black and no indication of a working camera. Switching off was the same as the other times before when I could still hear the camera background/operating noise and the status light remained on despite switching off.

This time, re-seating the battery didn't fix it and this state of disconcertment went on for about 5 minutes.

Around that time the phone rang and it was my Dad, so I told him what was happening in that moment.

He said to take the battery out, and then to flip the switch from Off to On, and then back to Off. Then he said to put the battery back in the camera and try again.

I now have a BMPCC6k that is working once again. He said he'd learned that somehow about other devices and that it may have drained a residual charge preventing it from operating before.

I have the camera connected to my computer because I wanted to confirm the Software Version that I have on it: It is version 7.9.1 and BlackMagic Camera Setup says the software is up to date.

I did not enjoy this experience and am wondering about two things:

(1) Should I re-install the camera software? Could the issues be related to a software glitch?

(2) The red charging "Status" light is still illuminated red when connected to my computer (or via the charging adapter to the wall). The battery is a 7.4 volt battery but the LCD screen clearly shows that my battery is beyond full. It's actually showing a charge of 7.7 volts at the moment. Could this all be related to a battery issue and should I replace the battery?

I bought this camera in June 2021. Obviously it's well out of warranty and the model itself has been discontinued and update with a new BMPCC6k since then.

As a matter of principle and integrity, the modern shelf-life of consumer electronics continues to trouble my mind even though it's out of my hands. Leo Fender built a tube guitar amp in 1955 (actually Lupe at Fender Electric Corp. built it because she signed her name in the chassis) that survived 5 days under the Cumberland River in 2010 and, still, it lives all these years later....WITH the original Power and Output transformers intact! My amp tech was able to save it all and the speaker still worked too but we took it out and replaced it with one that hadn't been submerged due to prudence and caution. So what's that? An amp approaching it's 70th birthday after being submerged under a river for days on end. I get that times have changed but the amps made me happier than computers and guitars are known to live longer than humans.
DR 18 Studio
macOS Monterey 12.7.2
MBP 16-Inch, 2019
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
32GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB

Return to Cinematography