Best budget storage solution for large film project.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

robedge

Re: Best budget storage solution for large film project.

PostMon May 11, 2020 5:46 am

I haven’t tried Kyno, but its utility may depend on how good your video editor is at metadata, whether you want to input metadata for your footage before it’s imported to your editor and whether you don’t have a stock footage container despite having a stock footage need.

Last year, LumaForge uploaded a YouTube video about this app that was quite favourable, but in the comments Final Cut users had questions about its usefulness. The reason is that Final Cut has very sophisticated metadata features and management. LumaForge’s Patrick Southern responded by saying that LumaForge needs to be able to search across Final Cut Libraries because it essentially uses some of its footage as stock footage across projects. However, the simpler solution is to create a stock footage Library. I wonder whether what’s happening, in part, is that Final Cut has progressed on metadata in the last couple of years at a rate that is undercutting Kyno’s utility in Final Cut.

As I say, I haven’t used Kyno. It just isn’t obvious to me, given that Final Cut already has a data base (that’s what a Final Cut Library is) and extensive metadata ability, why one would be in a hurry to purchase an indexing system, which is what Kyno appears to be, on top of that. On metadata content itself, Southern doesn’t say that Kyno can do anything that Final Cut doesn’t already do. Of course, the situation may be different for Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve. I might add that verification of copies can be done for free with terminal commands, or with a commercial application, such as Carbon Copy Cloner, that costs a lot less than Kyno.

Anyway, here’s the LumaForge video. It’s necessary to click through to the YouTube site to see the discussion. There are also some references to using Kyno with DaVinci Resolve:

Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices
Monitor: Eizo | Computers: Mac Studio, iPad Pro

Uli Plank

PostMon May 11, 2020 6:44 am

The main differences to the Pro version are more codecs and more backup features (like tape).
I'd say you are fine with Standard as long as you don't have a big budget project.

If you have a mobile machine to run Resolve, its usefulness is limited. The greatest strength of Kyno is its far lower entry hurdle regarding OS and hardware.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Brad Hurley

PostMon May 11, 2020 10:15 am

Uli Plank wrote:If you have a mobile machine to run Resolve, its usefulness is limited. The greatest strength of Kyno is its far lower entry hurdle regarding OS and hardware.

That's what I was thinking as well. When I'm in the field, I bring a Windows laptop with the free version of Resolve (I used to use a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet, but the Resolve UI is squinty-small on that screen and barely useable); I use it only for doing checksum file transfer using Resolve's built-in Clone tool (transferring from camera media to external hard drive or SSD), for reviewing the day's shoots, and for entering metadata. Back home I export the metadata from Resolve on the laptop and import it to the project on my studio machine. The Advanced Editing with Resolve training book provides instructions for this. Once the metadata are imported, all the footage gets organized instantly in my smart bins, including Resolve's automatically generated keyword-based smart bins, ready to go.

For these purposes, a Windows laptop doesn't have to be high-spec and even integrated Intel graphics works well enough. I'm not doing any editing or color correction on that laptop. This worked fine when I was shooting Prores; we'll see how well it works now that I'm shifting to cDNG 3:1 (I don't have any BRAW-capable cameras).
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

robedge

PostMon May 11, 2020 4:47 pm

Uli Plank wrote:If you have a mobile machine to run Resolve, its [Kyno's] usefulness is limited.

You need a desktop or laptop to run Kyno anyway. It's been around long enough as an app that there would appear to be a demand for it. However, the use case is unclear to me, having looked at it both yesterday and a year ago. It adds an entire workflow step between capture and NLE import, so there needs to be a clear answer to the question "What do I get from this?". Larry Jordan is a believer, but I find his discussions about the app kind of fuzzy when it comes to concrete benefits. While Kyno may make sense for some operations (Jordan posits a workflow in which an assistant uses it to circle and tag takes for later import to the NLE), for my own needs it appears to be a solution in search of a problem.
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices
Monitor: Eizo | Computers: Mac Studio, iPad Pro

Ellory Yu

PostMon May 11, 2020 7:08 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:
Uli Plank wrote:If you have a mobile machine to run Resolve, its usefulness is limited. The greatest strength of Kyno is its far lower entry hurdle regarding OS and hardware.

That's what I was thinking as well. When I'm in the field, I bring a Windows laptop with the free version of Resolve (I used to use a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet, but the Resolve UI is squinty-small on that screen and barely useable); I use it only for doing checksum file transfer using Resolve's built-in Clone tool (transferring from camera media to external hard drive or SSD), for reviewing the day's shoots, and for entering metadata. Back home I export the metadata from Resolve on the laptop and import it to the project on my studio machine. The Advanced Editing with Resolve training book provides instructions for this. Once the metadata are imported, all the footage gets organized instantly in my smart bins, including Resolve's automatically generated keyword-based smart bins, ready to go.

For these purposes, a Windows laptop doesn't have to be high-spec and even integrated Intel graphics works well enough. I'm not doing any editing or color correction on that laptop. This worked fine when I was shooting Prores; we'll see how well it works now that I'm shifting to cDNG 3:1 (I don't have any BRAW-capable cameras).

+1 here too. That's one other reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on Kyno. Previously, I used an underpowered Windows laptop and FreeFileSync to do this transfer. When DR16 was release it performed okay on a 2013 MBP that I have so I started using that on set for clone tool. It does the job although it has obvious limitation with playback in particular when previewing clips.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Shylie

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 2:52 am

John Griffin wrote:The other 'data management' system with RAW is to edit on the go and delete takes or footage you are not going to use.

Editing on the go and deleting unused footage is a practical approach to data management, particularly for projects where storage space is limited or efficiency is paramount. It streamlines the editing process, allowing for quicker decision-making and optimization of resources. This method is especially beneficial for workflows that require flexibility and rapid turnaround times.[https://pmkisanyojanastatus.com/]PM Kisan Status[/url]
https://pmkisanyojanastatus.com/
Previous

Return to Cinematography