Bmpcc 6K Pro suddenly died

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

FraSpe79

Bmpcc 6K Pro suddenly died

PostTue May 14, 2024 2:09 pm

Hi everyone,

My first time here.. Maybe someone can help me.

Last week I was on set, waiting to start the shoot with my camera turned on (it was on for a couple of hours) with remote focus and video transmitter all powered by a v-mount battery via d-tap (with an LP battery in the camera as I usually do).
Suddenly the camera died and from that moment was impossible to turn it on anymore. I tried d-tap, internal NP, 12V AC.. nothing worked it out. My mac doesn't find the cam if I connect it with usb. I tried the "focus" button too.
The led light turns on, red with the internal NP or orange via 12V connector, but never green anymore.
Putting an ear to the LCD, it's possible to ear a subtle buzz of electricity passing trough.

Anyone who ever had a similar issue? Possible solutions?

Thanks

Francesco

carlomacchiavello

Re: Bmpcc 6K Pro suddenly died

PostThu May 16, 2024 8:57 pm

I hate to tell you that probably you did a short circuits between tools. You should contact Blackmagic Design and hope they can repair in the some way.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

FraSpe79

PostFri May 17, 2024 9:26 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:I hate to tell you that probably you did a short circuits between tools. You should contact Blackmagic Design and hope they can repair in the some way.

Thanks Carlo, I imagined that, but I’d like to know why. I did things as usual and never had issues till now.

Anyway, I’ll ask Blackmagic assistance and try to get it fixed.. or to understand how to prevent that in the future at least.

carlomacchiavello

PostFri May 17, 2024 4:50 pm

FraSpe79 wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:I hate to tell you that probably you did a short circuits between tools. You should contact Blackmagic Design and hope they can repair in the some way.

Thanks Carlo, I imagined that, but I’d like to know why. I did things as usual and never had issues till now.

Anyway, I’ll ask Blackmagic assistance and try to get it fixed.. or to understand how to prevent that in the future at least.

the problem could be caused from single battery that power up more device video connected.
if you google ground loop video you can find nightmare about it. unfortunately.
may be you are lucky and only a connectors are fried, i wish for you.
it's not a bmd problems but a common all cameras problems.
here a link about method to connect and disconnect cable to avoid it...
https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/02/15/ ... i-outputs/

ShaheedMalik

PostFri May 17, 2024 5:52 pm

Only way to avoid the ground loop is to use a single dtap from the battery to a Dtap splitter.

rick.lang

PostFri May 17, 2024 10:00 pm

Presumably with regulated voltages.
Rick Lang

FraSpe79

PostSat May 18, 2024 12:03 am

Thanks guys,

it’s good to know, I was totally unaware of it and I’ll definitely have to warn my 1st AC about that.
Maybe it was because of the v-mounts batteries from the rental, I’m not sure, but I think we were using one of those when the cam shutdown. I never had issues with mines, but perhaps it was just luck till now, if it’s something happening randomly.
Anyway, I’ll be careful from now on.
Next week I’ll try to figure out with BMD if there’s any chance to revive the cam… I’ll let you know.

Thanks again for your help!

F

FraSpe79

PostTue May 21, 2024 11:20 pm

ShaheedMalik wrote:Only way to avoid the ground loop is to use a single dtap from the battery to a Dtap splitter.

I thought that ground loop was something to be aware of to avoid frying SDI (I know the advices, from Arri and Red, about 12G, to follow a specific protocol of cable and power connections) and HDMI ports, but not the cam!
Till now, all the reports I found about ground loop issues were always related to video outputs…

Paul Jonathan

PostWed May 22, 2024 7:45 pm

Sounds like ground loop might have been indeed the issue, but there is one more thing you can try. Insert a battery in the camera, switch to on (when the red light shows up) and then remove the battery while the camera is set to on and the red light is showing. This resets some power circuitry inside the camera. It works for me for a different issue I had.

Return to Cinematography