What's the best gimbal for BMPCC 6K on a low budget?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Mixolydian

What's the best gimbal for BMPCC 6K on a low budget?

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 5:57 am

Looking for recommendations on a decent gimbal for my BMPCC 6K that is not as expensive as the Ronin everybody recommends or those well over $400. Basically I need one that is decent enough to do walk around homes and apartments for a real estate client. While my lens has optical stabilization, I tried to practice walking with the cage and two side handles I bought for the camera, and no matter how hard I try, I can still see the times when I put my foot down. Stabilization in Resolve doesn't do much because as we know, the BMPCC 6K G2 has a rolling shutter, and stabilization just looks weird.

So I need some kind of way to stabilize the camera while walking slowly. Something preferably $300 and below. If I get a lot of these jobs, then I can think of something better, but for now, it's not something I need except for this client, so I don't want to spend too much.

Jim Simon

Re: What's the best gimbal for BMPCC 6K on a low budget?

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 2:38 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Cary Knoop

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 4:44 pm

Just my personal opinion here. The BMPCC cameras are great cameras for studio or on location on a tripod. They are not suitable for run-and-gun situations. For run-and-gun you would be far better off using a Panasonic GH6 or similar cameras that have stabilization of the sensor in conjunction with stabilization of the lens.

Adding a gimbal to the BMPCC makes things a lot more complicated.

But again that is my personal opinion.

Mixolydian

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 5:18 pm

Thanks for the link. That looks like you have to hold the handle located right below the camera. It would seem rather heavy for one hand in the long run, especially for a camera that is rather heavy in itself. However, I don't have experience with those kinds of things.

Mixolydian

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 5:22 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:Just my personal opinion here. The BMPCC cameras are great cameras for studio or on location on a tripod. They are not suitable for run-and-gun situations. For run-and-gun you would be far better off using a Panasonic GH6 or similar cameras that have stabilization of the sensor in conjunction with stabilization of the lens.

Adding a gimbal to the BMPCC makes things a lot more complicated.

But again that is my personal opinion.

It's a fair opinion, but my goal here is not to run, but rather to walk slowly and if needed, speed up the footage just a bit, as long as the gimbal provides the stability so that it looks smooth.

Besides, I'm already out of the return period, and this was THE purchase for me, I'm not buying another camera. I have a Lumix G7, but the rolling shutter in that camera is a lot worse than the BMPCC 6K, and I'm not going to mix different signature looks, which it's going to be a pain to match.

robedge

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 8:49 pm

Mixolydian wrote:

Thanks for the link. That looks like you have to hold the handle located right below the camera. It would seem rather heavy for one hand in the long run, especially for a camera that is rather heavy in itself. However, I don't have experience with those kinds of things.

Shouldn’t take much to find out how well the DJI RS 3 Mini works with your camera. At $365, it’s $65 above what you want to pay: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... imbal.html

You could also consider the Flycam. Note, just for info, that the person who made this video worked with Devin Graham before going out on his own:

Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices
Monitor: Eizo | Computers: Mac Studio, iPad Pro

John Paines

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 9:15 pm

Mixolydian wrote:my goal here is not to run, but rather to walk slowly and if needed, speed up the footage just a bit, as long as the gimbal provides the stability so that it looks smooth.

If you work that way, the movement won't be either smooth or continuous. And the rig will bob up and down with your footfalls, which the speed change in post will exaggerate. There's a reason youtubers feature quick cuts, slow motion and fast running shots in areas with no horizontal references on either side. That way you don't notice how bad the footage is.

Poozon

PostSat Apr 06, 2024 9:17 pm

Regarding Flycam: I have Flycam Redking and BMPCC 6K G2.
And well, this combination is not suitable for stabilization while slowly walking. It is much easier to stabilize fast walking this way.
And there is another issue: the camera is not symmetrical left-right and I have to move it substantially left on my Flycam to get a kind of stabilisation. And it is not easy to keep it balanced.
I use Gyroflow to correct accidental movements that are inevitable and Gyroflow + DaVinci Resolve do a good job.
Frankly speaking I do not recommend this camera to be used neither on a gimbal nor on Flycam.
Maybe somebody else had a better experience with this than me.

robedge

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 12:53 am

I would ask forum participant Florent Piovesan for advice on using the 6K, which he uses himself, for your subject and constraints. My impression is that he makes quite limited use of gimbals, although he’s reviewed some, and I think that he'd have constructive advice on how to approach this.

This is one of his recent films, and there’s a detailed behind the scenes video on how he and his crew did the cinematography. There are a fair number of “at home” scenes. The gear list includes a DJI Ronin RS 3, but I suspect that it was used pretty selectively. Piovesan makes fairly liberal use of an EasyRig, but they aren’t for walking but maybe open up a different approach (they aren’t cheap, but you could rent one), and of drones, probably not the best idea at your client’s residence :) There are lots of motorised boards on the market, although they take some practice.

The 90 Year Old Cyclist | A Short Documentary (shot on the BMPCC 6K Pro)
Video Cameras: iPhone, Pocket 4K
Microphones: Schoeps, DPA
Audio Recorder: Sound Devices
Monitor: Eizo | Computers: Mac Studio, iPad Pro

ShaheedMalik

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 1:30 am

If you need something cheaper than a gimbal, you could try a Cinesaddle TinySaddle.

Mixolydian

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 1:53 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:If you need something cheaper than a gimbal, you could try a Cinesaddle TinySaddle.

Very interesting. Definitely solves the problem of doing handheld for too long, but I'm not sure it would soften the movement of the body enough.

ShaheedMalik

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 3:43 am

Mixolydian wrote:
ShaheedMalik wrote:If you need something cheaper than a gimbal, you could try a Cinesaddle TinySaddle.

Very interesting. Definitely solves the problem of doing handheld for too long, but I'm not sure it would soften the movement of the body enough.

From the one I bought, it keeps the footage looking handheld but it won't be as steady as a gimbal. I need to play with it more.

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 9:30 am

I use an old (now) zhyune crane2, with dual bar grip, bought when it was out in market and work fine with my pk6 g1 from many years.

I not control camera from gimbal, I only sometimes use a focus control with additional focus control which allow me to use either manual lenses.
For my work is good.

From when Blackmagic Design add gyro stabilization, I loved from stabilised lenses to gyro stabil + gimbal and I’m happy.

Now crane 3 or similar are better like grip for Blackmagic Design pockets shape.
for my experience, try to choose a dual hand grip gimbal, optional or not, after some times i saw that is not only stressing experience, but is simplier to keep stable in front of you. A single hand mean you move right left a bit the camera, a dual hand discarge better the weight and i'm less tempted to move around, is simplier to rotate moving body and more.

Ps remember that a gimbal+camera+monitor is a bit heavy setup, so do your exercise before ;-)

Pps ok it’s 50 years old thought about exercise, but … when you should use gimbal for many shooting at end of day you could be grateful to hours spent on weight in gym or at home ;-)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Last edited by carlomacchiavello on Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michel Rabe

PostSun Apr 07, 2024 9:46 am

Mixolydian wrote:That looks like you have to hold the handle located right below the camera. It would seem rather heavy for one hand in the long run, especially for a camera that is rather heavy in itself. However, I don't have experience with those kinds of things.

It's the other way around in my experience. I can carry one handle gimbals much longer than those with two handles. You'll still use both hands to hold it, but the gimbal can be held closer to the body, which in return puts way less strain on arms and shoulders.

Jim Simon

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 12:21 am

Cary Knoop wrote:They are not suitable for run-and-gun situations.
I use my P4K like that all the time. I find it to be an excellent run-n-gun camera.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostMon Apr 08, 2024 12:22 am

Mixolydian wrote:It would seem rather heavy for one hand in the long run
Some can be. I knew a shooter who had one. The RS2 is one of the lighter gimbals.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Davidsk

PostWed May 22, 2024 6:20 am

Mixolydian wrote:Looking for recommendations on a decent gimbal for my BMPCC 6K that is not as expensive as the Ronin everybody recommends or those well over $400. Basically I need one that is decent enough to do walk around homes and apartments for a real estate client. While my lens has optical stabilization, I tried to practice walking with the cage and two side handles I bought for the camera, and no matter how hard I try, I can still see the times when I put my foot down. Stabilization in Resolve doesn't do much because as we know, the BMPCC 6K G2 has a rolling shutter, and stabilization just looks weird.

So I need some kind of way to stabilize the camera while walking slowly. Something preferably $300 and below. If I get a lot of these jobs, then I can think of something better, but for now, it's not something I need except for this client, so I don't want to spend too much.

I also work for a real estate developer (Union Developers). For stabilizing the BMPCC 6K while walking for real estate videos under $300, a few good gimbal options include the Zhiyun Crane 3S, Moza Air 2, and FeiyuTech AK2000C. The Crane 3S has a 9 lb payload capacity, 18 hour battery life, and smooth stabilization in an ergonomic design, often discounted to under $500. The Moza Air 2 also supports 9 lbs, has a modular design for one or two-handed use, an OLED display, and 16 hour battery, sometimes selling for under $500. At the lower end, the FeiyuTech AK2000C has a 4.4 lb payload, 12 hour battery, and compact 2.6 lb design for around $200. While not as robust as the Crane 3S or Air 2, it can still provide good stabilization on a tighter budget. With proper balancing and use of the gimbal's stabilization modes, along with smooth walking technique, any of these options should help minimize jitter and rolling shutter issues when walking with the BMPCC 6K.
Last edited by Davidsk on Fri May 24, 2024 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Omar Mohammad

PostThu May 23, 2024 8:55 am

Stay away from Dji RSC2 Pro. I bought one second hand, sold it with 130eur loss. It won't balance unless you use counterweights for roll and tilt axes.
MacBook M3 Pro 16”, 18 GPU, 36GB RAM, 1TB | Sonoma 14.5
BMCC6K | Sigma 12-24 f4 | Canon 50 f1.8 | Sigma MC-21 | DJI RS4 Pro
DaVinci Resolve Studio 19 beta 3

Return to Cinematography