Can we have a DNG->3:1 RAW file converter?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Scott Pultz

Can we have a DNG->3:1 RAW file converter?

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 7:54 pm

Although I don't expect the new compressed raw to come to the BMPC, it would be nice if we could convert our existing dng files to save some storage space. Go ahead and tie the software to the Davinci dongle if you need to!

Csaba Nagy

Re: Can we have a DNG->3:1 RAW file converter?

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Near certain that the 3:1 compressed DNG is the same compression used by the lossy DNG already available in Adobe DNG converter.

( they added support for it Lossy DNG in one the more recent versions of Resolve. That's why it leads me to believe its the same.)
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

David J. Lee

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 9:01 pm

I would love this.

My gut tells me that the BMCC (which I have) won't be able to do it in camera (though that would be amazing if it could). But I would gladly settle for a feature in the next Resolve which would allow me to compress RAW on my workstation.

Scott Pultz

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Csaba Nagy wrote:Near certain that the 3:1 compressed DNG is the same compression used by the lossy DNG already available in Adobe DNG converter.

( they added support for it Lossy DNG in one the more recent versions of Resolve. That's why it leads me to believe its the same.)

It would nice to get some confirmation from Black Magic.

John Brawley

PostFri Nov 21, 2014 9:56 pm

Csaba Nagy wrote:Near certain that the 3:1 compressed DNG is the same compression used by the lossy DNG already available in Adobe DNG converter.

I don't think so.

The lossy compression everyone refers to in the DNG spec wasn't designed for cDNG. As far as I know there hasn't been a lossy cDNG spec, only DNG which is fact, different.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Csaba Nagy

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 1:12 am

John Brawley wrote:

I don't think so.

The lossy compression everyone refers to in the DNG spec wasn't designed for cDNG. As far as I know there hasn't been a lossy cDNG spec, only DNG which is fact, different.

JB

After further investigation I do believe that yes you are correct. Lossy DNG's out of Adobe DNG converter are not compatible with Resolve. This must be another form of "Visually Lossless" compression introduced with 1.9.9
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Scott Pultz

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 1:50 am

Csaba are you from Hungary? I just ask because I knew a Csaba from there :)

Csaba Nagy

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 2:13 am

Scott Pultz wrote:

Csaba are you from Hungary? I just ask because I knew a Csaba from there :)

My parents are yes, I was born in Canada. ( me and my father share the same name. ;) )
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

thomas bruegger

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 8:07 am

yes id also like to see a dng converter to compressed dng format wich works in resolve.
Thomas Bruegger / garage5 GmbH
www.garage5.ch

Csaba Nagy

PostSat Nov 22, 2014 8:22 am

Anyone with URSA willing to upload a DNG using the 3:1?
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

rick.lang

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 6:21 am

Csaba Nagy wrote:
John Brawley wrote:

I don't think so.

JB

After further investigation I do believe that yes you are correct. Lossy DNG's out of Adobe DNG converter are not compatible with Resolve. This must be another form of "Visually Lossless" compression introduced with 1.9.9

There was a comment from Grant Petty at NAB that it would be something new that no one has done if BMD offered lossy compressed raw. Sorry I'm not going to find that clip with the comment, but I do recall that he commented on it in terms that implied it would be developed by BMD. It may have been in Marco Solorio's interview of Grant, but I can't swear to it.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Csaba Nagy

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 7:25 am

rick.lang wrote:There was a comment from Grant Petty at NAB that it would be something new that no one has done if BMD offered lossy compressed raw. Sorry I'm not going to find that clip with the comment, but I do recall that he commented on it in terms that implied it would be developed by BMD. It may have been in Marco Solorio's interview of Grant, but I can't swear to it.

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD

Yeah I often go back to those interviews to clarify whats been said in the past.

Actually funny enough, if you go 8:20 where the discussion starts.

He talks about the lossless compression which as we all know has been implemented in the pocket, 4k and URSA.

Then he brings up the "Lossy" Jpeg type compression. ( which I believe is the type I was referring to at the beginning of this thread. )

Then he talks about "their own 3:1" compression......which I'm assuming is the one were discussing here right now.

Interesting they went that direction given that he said they want to use the open standards.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

John Brawley

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 7:57 am

That was my original point.

There is no standard, even within cDNG for lossy compressed.

Everyone thinks their was, but it was only 8bit JPEG for DNG, not CDNG.

So BM my have implemented their own compressed lossy standard. And my understanding is that its DCT compression not JPEG, but still 12bit.

BMD are part of the CDNG consortium so I'm sure it will end up becoming an official part of the standard.

This is what is meant when they go it alone. Standards bodies don't keep up with the pace they work at.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

rick.lang

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 4:48 pm

Csaba, thanks for finding that interview discussing the three flavours in the DNG standard. Most interesting at NAB 2013, Grant said words to the effect of "we have our own 3:1 compression but we're not going to use that" because we are using the standard options. Obviously they changed their mind on that one and as John Brawley points out, it will likely become the standard eventually through their participation in the standards group..

Rick Lang
Sent using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography