Gimbal for BMCC and BMPC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Pavel Polden

Gimbal for BMCC and BMPC

PostSun Mar 29, 2015 2:16 am

Please advise inexpensive gimbal for BMCC and BMPC.
Handled gimbal (like Ronin) and with the possibility install it for multicopters (with converter kit).

Maybe has anyone tried it? - loading weight about 3kg - BMCC/BMPCC+lens (Tokina/Samyang) ~ 2.3Kg:
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/eagle-eye-dsl ... -1555.html
with kit for install to copter:
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/eagle-eye-hhg ... -1464.html
What do you think - will it work?

Thanks!

Best regards, Pavel

alexmaslov

Re: Gimbal for BMCC and BMPC

PostSun Mar 29, 2015 10:54 pm

Good day,

I'm currently using EAGLE EYE gimbal with my BMPC4K. But I had to upgrade it myself. Cinema camera is too large for this gimbal and it will not fit on the standard mount of EAGLE EYE. So you'll have to make some modifications. Other part is YAW motor is too small for this weight. Had to change is to more powerful one.

Alexander.

Pavel Polden

PostSun Mar 29, 2015 11:29 pm

alexmaslov wrote:Good day,

I'm currently using EAGLE EYE gimbal with my BMPC4K. But I had to upgrade it myself. Cinema camera is too large for this gimbal and it will not fit on the standard mount of EAGLE EYE. So you'll have to make some modifications. Other part is YAW motor is too small for this weight. Had to change is to more powerful one.

Alexander.

Thanks Alexander!
Please tell me what a new motor you use?
And how you change mount?
Other parts of this EAGLE EYE work good?
For this gimbal I need add only battery with cables?

PS You not from Russia?

Best regards, Pavel

Chris Lukasser

PostMon Mar 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi,
we are using the DJI-Ronin with the BMD Pocket at the Moment, but we have ordered the BMPC 4K and are going to test it at the end of the week. I´ll post some resuts then.
regards
Resolve studio 18.1.2, Minipanel, Editorkeyboard, Ultrastudio 4k, MacPro2013/128GB, MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Mar 30, 2015 5:01 pm

lunatic wrote:Hi,
we are using the DJI-Ronin with the BMD Pocket at the Moment, but we have ordered the BMPC 4K and are going to test it at the end of the week. I´ll post some resuts then.
regards

I had a chance to tool around a little bit with a Ronin, and there's also a review of it up on Red Shark News that's pretty thorough. It's a great gimbal, though a bit on the large and heavy side. Comically excessive for a Pocket cinema camera, but it will still work just fine with one, I'm sure ;)

I have a Letus Helix myself, and it's been serving me extremely well, mostly with a BMCC. I haven't tried running a Pocket cinema camera on it yet, but I'm sure it would handle the much lighter camera just fine also. :)

It's quite a bit more compact than a Ronin, and noticeably lighter, but the Ronin is probably still the best value in a gimbal currently available, given that its price includes a case, joystick, stand, and so on... basically everything you need for dual operator use besides a wireless transmitter... which is what the Moza is apparently banking on as a way to break into the field. That one looks promising, but I haven't seen reviews of it yet.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Pavel Polden

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 12:53 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:
lunatic wrote:Hi,
regards

I had a chance to tool around a little bit with a Ronin, and there's also a review of it up on Red Shark News that's pretty thorough. It's a great gimbal, though a bit on the large and heavy side. Comically excessive for a Pocket cinema camera, but it will still work just fine with one, I'm sure ;)

I have a Letus Helix myself, and it's been serving me extremely well, mostly with a BMCC. I haven't tried running a Pocket cinema camera on it yet, but I'm sure it would handle the much lighter camera just fine also. :)

It's quite a bit more compact than a Ronin, and noticeably lighter, but the Ronin is probably still the best value in a gimbal currently available, given that its price includes a case, joystick, stand, and so on... basically everything you need for dual operator use besides a wireless transmitter... which is what the Moza is apparently banking on as a way to break into the field. That one looks promising, but I haven't seen reviews of it yet.

Thanks!

Chris Lukasser

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 1:40 am

Yes Rakesh, you are right: the Ronin is quit a heavy tools especially for the Pocket Cinema Camera, but the intention was always to buy a gimbal, that can handle a lot heavier cameras too. Besides our Pocket setup is not a light as you might think: Cage, lens, follow focus, hyperdeck shuttle, teradek clip, V-mount plate and battery sum up.
Resolve studio 18.1.2, Minipanel, Editorkeyboard, Ultrastudio 4k, MacPro2013/128GB, MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 1:45 am

I took my BMCC out of its cage for that reason :)
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

kevinconder

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 4:42 pm

varavon birdy cam fits a bmcc. You won't be able to use a external monitor as the space on the sides is too cramped. But you can see the bmcc screen when it's mounted. With a smaller lens it works very well. It is as light as a full size gimbal can be. I have a review of it. just do a search if interested
Kevin Conder
On Broken Ground Films
http://vimeo.com/kevinconder/tunnel
http://www.onbrokenground.com/blog
http://vimeopro.com/kevinconder/portfolio

Jules Bushell

PostTue Mar 31, 2015 5:25 pm

Using the DJI Ronin this Thursday, filming a scene with quite a lot of fighting. It handles everything BMCC loaded with ext. monitor, follow focus and sdi wireless transmitters etc. really easily. We're filming all day and it's fun to use with the Altas Support Rig, as there's a version designed for the Ronin. Makes the weight easily managable for a long shoot.

Ronin comes with a remote too, means you can have another person precisely controlling the framing.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

justin lovell

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 4:16 am

Using the allsteady 5 and it's great for what I need it for. They are just releasing the allsteady 6 which I preordered through kickstarter. Using with my Bmpcc and kowa 8.5mm cmount lens and dp4 monitor.
Justin Lovell
Assoc. CSC Cinematographer

Demo Reel:
www.justinlovell.com
5K Film Scans:
8/16/35mm > 5k/4k/3k/2k/HD
www.framediscreet.com

Paul Kapp

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 11:57 am

I just received a Came-Mini.
It's the first electronic stabiliser I have owned but I'm pleased so far.
I have it working with the Pocket Camera, EF Speedbooster and Sigma 8-16.
At 2kgs all up it is very easy to handle and it works well.
I will be testing it more on the weekend and will report more.
Came-Mini_BMPCC-EFSB.jpg
Came-Mini BMPCC EF SB Sigma 8-16
Came-Mini_BMPCC-EFSB.jpg (948.69 KiB) Viewed 15497 times

justin lovell

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 12:03 pm

Anyone own one of these in Toronto? I'd be interested in testing at our studio www.ipstudio.ca and can grade footage next door at www.framediscreet.com
Justin Lovell

Demo Reel:
www.justinlovell.com
5K Film Scans:
www.framediscreet.com

Pavel Polden

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 2:26 pm

justin lovell wrote:Using the allsteady 5 and it's great for what I need it for. They are just releasing the allsteady 6 which I preordered through kickstarter. Using with my Bmpcc and kowa 8.5mm cmount lens and dp4 monitor.

Thank you, please tell me - AllSteady-6 is fully compatible with BMCC 2.5k and BMPC 4k ?
Not need AllSteady-7 ?
And what difference between AllSteady-6 and AllSteady-6Pro ?
And AllSteady-6 better than Ronin ?

Jules Bushell

PostWed Apr 01, 2015 4:33 pm

Pavel wrote:
justin lovell wrote:Using the allsteady 5 and it's great for what I need it for. They are just releasing the allsteady 6 which I preordered through kickstarter. Using with my Bmpcc and kowa 8.5mm cmount lens and dp4 monitor.

Thank you, please tell me - AllSteady-6 is fully compatible with BMCC 2.5k and BMPC 4k ?
Not need AllSteady-7 ?
And what difference between AllSteady-6 and AllSteady-6Pro ?
And AllSteady-6 better than Ronin ?

Dunno,
Can the AllSteady-6 do briefcase mode (filming along the ground)? Don't think it can. Says payload is 20lb so should easily work with fully loaded BMCC or BMPC and larger cameras. Half the weight of a Ronin is pretty nice.

Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

AndrewConrad

PostMon Apr 06, 2015 10:50 pm

Hi my name is Andrew and I work for Turbo Ace. We make the Allsteady gimbal! Feel free to ask me any questions!

Can the AllSteady-6 do briefcase mode (filming along the ground)? Don't think it can. Says payload is 20lb so should easily work with fully loaded BMCC or BMPC and larger cameras. Half the weight of a Ronin is pretty nice.

Yes the Allsteady 6 can run in briefcase mode! The gimbal uses the popular Alexmos firmware, and we've programmed each gimbal to work in brief case mode, inverted mode, and work with small, medium, and large cameras. We don't want to to have to plug the gimbal into a computer if you don't want to. Right out of the box, the gimbal just works.

The Allsteady 6 is compatible with the BMPCC and the BMPC 2.5K and 4K.

Pavel Polden

PostTue Apr 07, 2015 12:49 am

AndrewConrad wrote:Hi my name is Andrew and I work for Turbo Ace. We make the Allsteady gimbal! Feel free to ask me any questions!

Yes the Allsteady 6 can run in briefcase mode! The gimbal uses the popular Alexmos firmware, and we've programmed each gimbal to work in brief case mode, inverted mode, and work with small, medium, and large cameras. We don't want to to have to plug the gimbal into a computer if you don't want to. Right out of the box, the gimbal just works.

The Allsteady 6 is compatible with the BMPCC and the BMPC 2.5K and 4K.

Hi Andrew

Very good.

Please tell me:

1. Allsteady 6 without any problem working fine with BMCC (2.5K) and BMPC (4K) + wide lens = 2.3 Kg ?
2. I can use INFINITY 6 HEXACOPTER with gimbal Allsteady 6 with this setup BMCC or BMPC + lens = 2.3 Kg ?
3. Why INFINITY 6 better than DJI S1000+ ?

Best regards, Pavel

AndrewConrad

PostWed Apr 08, 2015 7:57 pm

Pavel wrote:
1. Allsteady 6 without any problem working fine with BMCC (2.5K) and BMPC (4K) + wide lens = 2.3 Kg ?
2. I can use INFINITY 6 HEXACOPTER with gimbal Allsteady 6 with this setup BMCC or BMPC + lens = 2.3 Kg ?

Hi Pavel,

1. The Allsteady 6 can run the BMCC 2.5 and 4k cameras. The only known issue is the limited access to the connections on the side of the camera. The Allsteady 6 tray is wide enough to accommodate these cameras, but with certain lenses the camera may be mounted in such a way that these connections can be sitting right up against the vertical tilt axis support bar. Longer heavier lenses may counter balance the camera enough to push the BMPC back far enough in the tray to give access to these connections. More testing is required.

2. The Infinity 6 hexacopter would be a great option for the BMPC even with the heavy lens. The BMCC 2.5k or 4k is reaching the upper limits of the weight limits of the hexacopter. The Infinity 9 octocopter would be a better option for this large of a camera.

3. The Infinity 6's main advantage over the DJI products is the possibility of heavy customization to fit your exact needs. The DJI Zenmuse gimbals are very limited with their camera and lens selections. The Infinity 6 and Allsteady 5 combination let's you fly anything from the BMPC, Sony A6000, or GH4 up to a fully loaded Canon 5D. It can also accommodate a large selection of lenses with these cameras, and load outs can be changed in 30 minutes or less with minimal tools.

Pavel Polden

PostThu Apr 09, 2015 3:53 am

AndrewConrad wrote:
Pavel wrote:

Hi Pavel,

1. The Allsteady 6 can run the BMCC 2.5 and 4k cameras. The only known issue is the limited access to the connections on the side of the camera. The Allsteady 6 tray is wide enough to accommodate these cameras, but with certain lenses the camera may be mounted in such a way that these connections can be sitting right up against the vertical tilt axis support bar. Longer heavier lenses may counter balance the camera enough to push the BMPC back far enough in the tray to give access to these connections. More testing is required.

2. The Infinity 6 hexacopter would be a great option for the BMPC even with the heavy lens. The BMCC 2.5k or 4k is reaching the upper limits of the weight limits of the hexacopter. The Infinity 9 octocopter would be a better option for this large of a camera.

3. The Infinity 6's main advantage over the DJI products is the possibility of heavy customization to fit your exact needs. The DJI Zenmuse gimbals are very limited with their camera and lens selections. The Infinity 6 and Allsteady 5 combination let's you fly anything from the BMPC, Sony A6000, or GH4 up to a fully loaded Canon 5D. It can also accommodate a large selection of lenses with these cameras, and load outs can be changed in 30 minutes or less with minimal tools.

Thanks Andrew!
But it is possible to use your Infinity 6 with Allsteady 6 with BMCC (2.5k)/ BMPC (4k) - 1.7kg
(not small BMPCC 1080!) + wide lens about 600g - Total 2.3kg? Or not?
The Infinity 9 (15k!+) too expensive for me.

AndrewConrad

PostThu Apr 09, 2015 9:17 pm

Pavel wrote:But it is possible to use your Infinity 6 with Allsteady 6 with BMCC (2.5k)/ BMPC (4k) - 1.7kg

Unfortunately, that would be going over the weight limits of the hexacopter. We are still exerimenting with new motor configurations, and frame designs to get heavier cameras in the air with less expensive multirotor systems. Be sure to follow us as things progress! We could have an affordable BMCC lifter soon ;)

Feel free to email me periodically to catch up on recent products and innovations. sales@turboace.com

-Andrew

Pavel Polden

PostThu Apr 09, 2015 11:26 pm

AndrewConrad wrote:
Pavel wrote:But it is possible to use your Infinity 6 with Allsteady 6 with BMCC (2.5k)/ BMPC (4k) - 1.7kg

Unfortunately, that would be going over the weight limits of the hexacopter. We are still exerimenting with new motor configurations, and frame designs to get heavier cameras in the air with less expensive multirotor systems. Be sure to follow us as things progress! We could have an affordable BMCC lifter soon ;)

Feel free to email me periodically to catch up on recent products and innovations. sales@turboace.com

-Andrew

Thank you!

Rafael Molina

PostMon Apr 20, 2015 8:52 pm

Seems that the Ronin-M isn't designed to be used with the BMCC 2.5K version. -____- ¿Am I wrong?
Rafael Molina
Independent Professional Filmmaker and Producer
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF
Reseller: Televisión y Video Digital Ltda.
Ordered: 28th january 2013
Arrived: 5th june 2013

Devin Pense

PostTue Apr 21, 2015 4:58 am

Rafael Molina wrote:Seems that the Ronin-M isn't designed to be used with the BMCC 2.5K version. -____- ¿Am I wrong?

I can't seem to find the answer to this either. I saw where they said a stripped down Epic will work but no mention of the BMCC.

Rafael Molina

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Devin Pense wrote:
Rafael Molina wrote:Seems that the Ronin-M isn't designed to be used with the BMCC 2.5K version. -____- ¿Am I wrong?

I can't seem to find the answer to this either. I saw where they said a stripped down Epic will work but no mention of the BMCC.

Well, if an Epic fits there, the BMCC will definitely fit better because the BMCC is less heavier. But we'll need a more solid answer.
Rafael Molina
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF

Mike Poff

PostWed Apr 22, 2015 9:09 pm

In my experience and testing the Red without the Redvolt battery, handle grip, and lcd, its only about 5lbs. That was with a 50mm rokinon. The BMCC 4k is near the same exact weight. The BMCC is wider, and the Red is more narrow and taller.
Risen Aerials
www.risenaerials.com

Devin Pense

PostThu Apr 23, 2015 1:21 am

Mike Poff wrote:In my experience and testing the Red without the Redvolt battery, handle grip, and lcd, its only about 5lbs. That was with a 50mm rokinon. The BMCC 4k is near the same exact weight. The BMCC is wider, and the Red is more narrow and taller.

Mike, are you referring to testing the Ronin-M with the Red?

Mike Poff

PostThu Apr 23, 2015 4:59 am

The original question was finding a gimbal to use with the BMCC. At some point Rafael said if the Epic fits there, the BMCC definitely will fit. I was clarifying that the two cameras are vastly different in size. A Red stripped down is way more narrow than a BMCC. I was also clarifying that the weight isn't that drastically different.

Talking gimbals in general, I bought one of the cheap chinese carbon fiber ones with no motor cages and 5208 motors. I eventually purchased cages and 8017 motors. You can get them cheap now. All total, what you see in the picture is $1040 with dual motors, alexmos, huge strong motors. The gimbal cages are the "WASP'S" There is some DIY but nothing most people can't handle.
Attachments
IMG_4102.JPG
IMG_4102.JPG (448.14 KiB) Viewed 14715 times
Risen Aerials
www.risenaerials.com

Manuel Wolf

PostTue Apr 28, 2015 7:54 pm

Hey there!
Unfortunately, the Ronin-M will not work with the BMCC & BMPC (width 166 mm, 6,54 inch) because of its max. width of 160 mm (6,3 inch). I'm pretty sure, nobody will try with resorting to violence :)

Pavel Polden

PostTue May 05, 2015 3:04 am

Manuel Wolf wrote:Hey there!
Unfortunately, the Ronin-M will not work with the BMCC & BMPC (width 166 mm, 6,54 inch) because of its max. width of 160 mm (6,3 inch). I'm pretty sure, nobody will try with resorting to violence :)

Yes... I saw this a few millimeters too. Maybe only BMCC (6,5 inch)- to push in Ronin-M with force? )
So the money users BMCC/BMPC do not need DJI ?)

What are we buying?
Allsteady-6 pro? Or very heavy, expensive and with a strange mount big Ronin?
People say that allsteady have a problems - balance, quality and support?
And Andrew from Turboace wrote here:

"The only known issue is the limited access to the connections on the side of the camera. The Allsteady 6 tray is wide enough to accommodate these cameras, but with certain lenses the camera may be mounted in such a way that these connections can be sitting right up against the vertical tilt axis support bar. Longer heavier lenses may counter balance the camera enough to push the BMPC back far enough in the tray to give access to these connections. More testing is required."

And if I can not use SDI out from BMCC/BMPC in setup with my lens like Samyang, Sigma or Tokina???
How work without external monitor? And how without audio in and remote in?
I wanted to buy allsteady6 pro with options and maybe Infinity copter, but I email them to sales@turboace.com - almost a month simply does not respond... strange...
Or heavy Ronin for future payload and more power battery? (power to BMCC/BMPC from gimbal)

What right gimbal we can buy 1000-2500 usd for use with BMCC/BMPC ?

Please prompt me!

Best regards, Pavel

Timothy Cook

PostTue May 05, 2015 4:27 am

Pavel wrote:

Yes... I saw this a few millimeters too. Maybe only BMCC (6,5 inch)- to push in Ronin-M with force? )

What are we buying?

"The only known issue is the limited access to the connections on the side of the camera. The Allsteady 6 tray is wide enough to accommodate these cameras, but with certain lenses the camera may be mounted in such a way that these connections can be sitting right up against the vertical tilt axis support bar. Longer heavier lenses may counter balance the camera enough to push the BMPC back far enough in the tray to give access to these connections. More testing is required."

And if I can not use SDI out from BMCC/BMPC in setup with my lens like Samyang, Sigma or Tokina???
I wanted to buy allsteady6 pro with options and maybe Infinity copter, but I email them to sales@turboace.com - almost a month simply does not respond... strange...
Or heavy Ronin for future payload and more power battery? (power to BMCC/BMPC from gimbal)

Please prompt me!

Best regards, Pavel

Pavel, I just pre-ordered the Ronin-M and while reading the PDF user manual I noticed DJI list several cameras that have been tested and work with the Ronin-M. And the BMCC is one of them.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... 1.0_en.pdf
I hope this helps. It really looks like the Ronins are the way to go right now.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Pavel Polden

PostTue May 05, 2015 5:41 am

Timothy Cook wrote:
Pavel wrote:

What are we buying?

Please prompt me!

Best regards, Pavel

Pavel, I just pre-ordered the Ronin-M and while reading the PDF user manual I noticed DJI list several cameras that have been tested and work with the Ronin-M. And the BMCC is one of them.

Wow! Cool, but not BMPC 4k ?
And how insert cables to BMCC ? Size butt...
Maybe soon will Arm Extensions for Ronin-M like for Ronin ?

justin lovell

PostTue May 05, 2015 7:53 am

Justin Lovell

Demo Reel:
www.justinlovell.com
5K Film Scans:
www.framediscreet.com

justin lovell

PostTue May 05, 2015 7:54 am

Justin Lovell

Demo Reel:
www.justinlovell.com
5K Film Scans:
www.framediscreet.com

justin lovell

PostTue May 05, 2015 7:56 am

Justin Lovell

Demo Reel:
www.justinlovell.com
5K Film Scans:
www.framediscreet.com

Rakesh Malik

PostTue May 05, 2015 5:30 pm

Timothy Cook wrote:Pavel, I just pre-ordered the Ronin-M and while reading the PDF user manual I noticed DJI list several cameras that have been tested and work with the Ronin-M. And the BMCC is one of them.

AS far as value goes in gimbals, Ronin is a clear winner. Even though I prefer my Helix because it's smaller, lighter, and more ergonomic than a Ronin, it's also more than twice as expensive.

Before picking a Ronin M over a Ronin though, make sure that the M has enough load capacity to handle additional stuff like follow focus and that sort of thing, because you'll need them (which is true for any gimbal).
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Timothy Cook

PostTue May 05, 2015 11:00 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
Timothy Cook wrote:Pavel, I just pre-ordered the Ronin-M and while reading the PDF user manual I noticed DJI list several cameras that have been tested and work with the Ronin-M. And the BMCC is one of them.

AS far as value goes in gimbals, Ronin is a clear winner. Even though I prefer my Helix because it's smaller, lighter, and more ergonomic than a Ronin, it's also more than twice as expensive.

Before picking a Ronin M over a Ronin though, make sure that the M has enough load capacity to handle additional stuff like follow focus and that sort of thing, because you'll need them (which is true for any gimbal).

Thanks Rakesh I'll keep that in-mind. I've pretty much just squeaked by with funds on getting the M version, and so far all I use is the pocket and will add the Micro when it comes out. So I'm staying fairly small with my gear. I do hope to one day own the Mini but it and the gear needed is just out of my budget.
Saying that I'm pretty sure the Mini with out the handle will fit the Ronin M.

What I shoot, where I shoot, and the shots I'm planning in my head will all benefit from having a good motorized gimbal. This for me right now is the main piece of equipment that will help my production value step up to the next level. And Just like I was with Blackmagic Design giving us compact affordable raw, I'm super grateful for DJI giving us high quality, user friendly, gimbals at a affordable cost.
Vimeo.com/dropbars

Rakesh Malik

PostTue May 05, 2015 11:12 pm

Timothy Cook wrote:Thanks Rakesh I'll keep that in-mind. I've pretty much just squeaked by with funds on getting the M version, and so far all I use is the pocket and will add the Micro when it comes out. So I'm staying fairly small with my gear. I do hope to one day own the Mini but it and the gear needed is just out of my budget.
Saying that I'm pretty sure the Mini with out the handle will fit the Ronin M.

For the pocket and Micro, you should have nothing to worry about, even accounting for follow focus and wireless monitoring, should you need them.

What I shoot, where I shoot, and the shots I'm planning in my head will all benefit from having a good motorized gimbal. This for me right now is the main piece of equipment that will help my production value step up to the next level. And Just like I was with Blackmagic Design giving us compact affordable raw, I'm super grateful for DJI giving us high quality, user friendly, gimbals at a affordable cost.

Agreed. It's still not a magic bullet, but a gimbal costs less than a steadicam with comparable load capacity, and allows you to do a lot of things that a steadicam enables like tracking/follow shots without requiring dolly + tracks, and some things that steadicams don't work for, like handoffs.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rafael Molina

PostFri May 29, 2015 3:21 pm

Well, at least at page 12 of the manual you can see that they have tested the BMCC on the Ronin M.
Still, I find weird how the Ronin M camera size requirements are:

Depth: 120mm
Height: 195mm
Width: 160mm
Load capacity: 3.6kg (8lb)

While the BMCC specs are:

Depth: 114mm
Height: 126mm
Width: 166mm
Weight: 1.6kg (3.74lb)

¿How did they fit the camera in that width, something missing with the real measurements?

I mean, the no brainer is going with the Ronin at once, but the Ronin M cost less, you know. I'd like to be 100% sure about the Ronin M compatibility with the BMCC and then decide if I can save some bucks, or if it'll be better to save more for the Ronin, which I really prefer because you can place a variety of cameras and not worrying about the load capacity; It's just a budget matter.
Rafael Molina
Medellín – Colombia

BMCC EF

Mapas Depique

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 3:02 pm

Hey guys, seems that some news are coming for our lovely BMCC and BMPC, and it come from Moza with their Moza Air, a 3axis gimbal who can support up to 3.2kg now. On youtube, some videos are coming since the 2past months, especially one with russian guys https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1bEZuwprrlU
Who are testing it with the bmpc and it seems to work. On the specifications of the brand, they claim to support Bmcc Bmpc and Bmpcc with even the rec/stop function available. I tink its a good option in term of price too.

Could be nice to have some feedbacks on that brand and maybe on that specific product.

Cheers.

Return to Cinematography