Ursa Mini 4.6k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sergei Smolovich

Re: Ursa Mini 4.6k

PostWed May 20, 2015 4:24 am

Sergei Smolovich

PostSat May 30, 2015 5:47 am

I’m not so crazy about RAW compression..... ( or ND filters, even will be good to have it ), but some parts of my experience with my Blackmagic 4K camera make me sad and mad all the time:

1. LCD screen of BMCC 2.5K and BMPC4K is GLOSSY, with very NARROW angle of view! Almost useless outside! :mad:
If URSA Mini gonna get the same poor quality LCD screen – that will be terrible..

2. Tap on screen to get 100% image for easy focusing – but ... silly SLATE jump ON... instead of 100% image .. I can’t imagine something more idiotic than this ! :mad:

---------
also, almost TWO years I asking Blackmagic Design to give us and option to set a DIFFERENT ASPECT RATIO GUIDES on SCREEN and on EXTERNAL MONITORS!!!

is it “too much” to have option to insert different ASPECT RATIO markers in about $10,000.00 URSA Mini 4.6K ?? :(

( ..and I never understand WHY they make this screen on URSA and URSA Mini NOT DETACHABLE ? :) .. in case to give an option for Camera Operators to place it ANYWHERE near the camera, but.. I can live with it )

3. If I need to change the Aperture on Canon-lenses – WHY I need to go INTO SCREEN MENU and push knobs to go up or down? .. INSTEAD to TORN some kind of WHEEL on camera…

4. The same problem with SHUTTER ( I use ANGLE ) – I ‘d like to have a wheel on camera to turn it and change Angle from 11.25 to 360 degree

but when I look to this:

Advanced Touchscreen Interface
"No more complicated buttons and menus!"

Or My God! .. "buttons are COMPLICATED!"... a hundred years thousands photographer USE that "complicated buttons" WITHOUT PROBLEMS!!! and even EVERY cheap $500-$800 DSLR today have that kind of "wheels and buttons" in CAMERA CONTROL:

... but Blackmagic Design coming to teach us that "going into that touching screen" is "SIMPLE" and "COMFORTABLE" ? :mad:

When I see the SAME MENU as on BMPC4K IN TOUCH SCREEN AGAIN without even a FEW "wheels and buttons" - I feel like they mock us! :mad:

I understand that Blackmagic Design team seems “play too much with I-phone “…, and they like to “drumming they fingers on camera screen”, …but this is CRAZY ! :mad:,

...and I hope they listen us and add at list TWO little wheels somewhere on camera body or on handle – to help us to do OUR JOB without drumming fingers every time for every little settings..

IMHO

adamroberts

PostSat May 30, 2015 7:33 am

The current camera firmware includes frame guides on both the LCD and external monitor (coming to the BMPC4K soon). So you can scratch that from your angry list. ;-)

You don't need to go into menus to change the aperture. You use the buttons. ;-)

Most people set the shutter speed based on the look and feel they want to achieve or to avoid flicker. Once it's set you generally don't change it for the scene you are shooting so having it in the menus is not really an issue for most people.

While I agree with some of your points you also need to consider the price point of the camera.

Adding buttons and jog wheels would add to the cost.

Making the screen detachable would add to the cost.

No camera is perfect... Even the Arri Alexa has some odd design quirks and that camera cost substantially more...

Sergei Smolovich

PostSat May 30, 2015 2:44 pm

adamroberts wrote:The current camera firmware includes frame guides on both the LCD and external monitor (coming to the BMPC4K soon). So you can scratch that from your angry list. ;-)

-------------------
I know that, but this "frame guides on both the LCD and external monitor" IS "in current camera firmware" because I was asking this long time ago!
-----------------
You don't need to go into menus to change the aperture. You use the buttons. ;-)
---------------

Oh, yes! I just push "IRIS" button... and... my aperture JUMP to the MINIMUM.. and I have to push to one button several times and to another button several times, in case to go to a level I need... :evil:
---------------
Most people set the shutter speed based on the look and feel they want to achieve or to avoid flicker. Once it's set you generally don't change it for the scene you are shooting so having it in the menus is not really an issue for most people.

--------------
This is only if you OK to change ISO and Aperture in case to get proper Exposure...
But, when we NEED to keep the same Dept of Field, we will NEED to have an option to change shutter speed/"obturateur angle" FAST and without interruption of filming!!!
--------------

While I agree with some of your points you also need to consider the price point of the camera.

Adding buttons and jog wheels would add to the cost.

-------------
I don't think that to add just ONE simple jog wheel into "Side Hand Grip" will add too much to camera cost!!!
Look how that can be SIMPLE!!! -->

This simple ONE jog wheel will be able to operate with:

1.Aperture of Canon EF lenses if you push ONCE "IRIS" button" and turn this wheel in any direction.

2. Change ISO, when you push once "ISO" button

3. Change White Balance, when you push once "WB" button

4. Change change shutter speed/"obturateur angle" when you push once "ShS" button

so, ??... as we ready have "IRIS" button" and "Focus button, we have to be able to setup FUNCTIONS of ISO and WB to available "F1" and F2" buttons! ..
---------------------
Or, we can use CURRENT jog wheels of SOUND control, temporary give them any function by pushing current buttons for a few seconds: -->

( ...but I 100% would prefer one jog wheel on "Side Hand Grip" !!! )

so Blackmagic do NOT even need to add buttons and jog wheels !!!
Just find a way I'm talking about in current FIRMWARE of the URSA Mini and improve it!

Making the screen detachable would add to the cost.

No camera is perfect... Even the Arri Alexa has some odd design quirks and that camera cost substantially more...

Oh, Yes! .. but this is what I'm trying to do: to HELP Blackmagic Design "TO MAKE URSA MINI 4.6K PERFECT" as much as possible, without adding too much cost!!!
------
WHY NOT? :shock:

rick.lang

PostSat May 30, 2015 2:54 pm

Sergei, some good ideas and who knows, they may well be implemented someday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

PetePolyakov

PostSat May 30, 2015 4:30 pm

the focus assist (zoom to 100%) well know problem in bmpc4k and bmcc. nothing more annoying when in the middle of the scene I need to check the focus on the talent and the menu offers me to write notes to the scene. no thanks. I just need to check the focus.

Sergei Smolovich

PostSun May 31, 2015 12:38 am

PetePolyakov wrote:the focus assist (zoom to 100%) well know problem in bmpc4k and bmcc. nothing more annoying when in the middle of the scene I need to check the focus on the talent and the menu offers me to write notes to the scene. no thanks. I just need to check the focus.

The IRIS button on BMCC and BMPC4K.. and, unfortunately, on URSA Mini handle certainly functions as the "auto Iris attempting to prevent clipping" function. I Don't know more idiotic attempt than this "automatic attempt to prevent clipping" !!! :mad: What they did it for?
Every educated cinematographer know how to prevent clipping... :D

...we have ENOUGH buttons for everything, because 3 PLAY buttons is NOT really useful in RECORD mode, so we can make them as F3, F4 and F5 buttons -->

1. IRIS - push it and turn Control wheel to change the aperture on EF-lenses

2. FOCUS - actually it should be "Focus Hold / Focus Push" button - when CAMERA in AUTO FOCUS MODE to push it will STOP auto-focusing, and when camera in MANUAL MODE to push it will START auto-focusing
This way is very useful, when you want to prevent auto-focus JUMPING from character to background, because it found something with high contrast.. ) ( LENS must be ALWAYS in Auto-focus mode )
( this two buttons useless on PL-mount cameras and can be use for OTHER FUNCTIONS !!! )

3. F-1 - this button can have different level of "digital Zoom" push it and turn CONTROL WHEEL to choose level of zooming... - someone can see perfectly with 30%-50% zoom, but someone need a 100% zoom, so better if we have different options..
4. F-2 - Push it and turn Control wheel to change GAIN/ISO level
5. F3 - Push it and turn Control wheel to change Shutter Angle
6. F4 - Push it and turn Control wheel to change White Balance
7. F5 - Push it and turn Control wheel to change Frame Rates

this SEVEN BUTTONS in combination with Control wheel can give us a hundred functions!!!, because in SETUP MODE they cam be used in combination with Control wheel for many other function!

I hope you can see how COMFORTABLE it can be, if BMD listen us and COMBINE those FIVE Custom Buttons with just ONE jog wheel on "Side Hand Grip"

Ian Cresswell

PostSun May 31, 2015 1:58 am

Sergei Smolovich wrote:The IRIS button on BMCC and BMPC4K.. and, unfortunately, on URSA Mini handle certainly functions as the "auto Iris attempting to prevent clipping" function. I Don't know more idiotic attempt than this "automatic attempt to prevent clipping" !!! :mad: What they did it for?

I actually really like the auto iris button to prevent clipping. When doing landscape videography it's nice to be able to click that button and get JUST under clipping on the highlights. Because a lot of times I can barely see anything at all on the screen. Histograms and waveforms are nice, but the auto iris button is actually useful to me. I use it in conjunction with a variable ND and keep hitting the button and adjusting the ND until the auto iris lands around f/7, it's a nice quick way to get set and nail shots quickly. Sometimes a sunset is only perfect for 20-30 seconds before it's gone. No time to sit around checking waveforms, etc. I need to know I'm just below clipping, and need to be there NOW. Just imo

Rakesh Malik

PostSun May 31, 2015 5:11 am

Sergei Smolovich wrote:The IRIS button on BMCC and BMPC4K.. and, unfortunately, on URSA Mini handle certainly functions as the "auto Iris attempting to prevent clipping" function. I Don't know more idiotic attempt than this "automatic attempt to prevent clipping" !!! :mad: What they did it for?

I hate it also. I'd rather just have direct control over the aperture like on a proper lens, or at least with a dedicated control like on professional SLR and mirrorless system cameras. On-lens iris control is the best ergonomically, but at least a dedicated dial come close.

The auto iris hasn't ever been right in my experience, at least so far. I always end up overriding it, so it really is just slowing me down. A histogram or waveform is faster than spot metering, which what I learned with using 4x5.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Steven Abrams

PostSun May 31, 2015 9:01 am

False Color is the fastest, most informative exposure tool for me. I can see instantly where everything in the image is actually at. Glad to see it was on the EVF at NAB. Hopefully the cameras soon too.

Like Ian, I use the auto iris as a quick "get in the ballpark fast" button, then fine tune quickly from there to taste. So rather than pressing rewind/fast forward potentially 7-8 times when walking outside, I press maybe 2-3 times after hitting auto iris. Saves me a bit of time.

Sergei Smolovich

PostSun May 31, 2015 11:41 am

Steven Abrams wrote:False Color is the fastest, most informative exposure tool for me. I can see instantly where everything in the image is actually at. Glad to see it was on the EVF at NAB. Hopefully the cameras soon too.
this is something MUST TO BE!
So rather than pressing rewind/fast forward potentially 7-8 times when walking outside, I press maybe 2-3 times after hitting auto iris. Saves me a bit of time.

LOL ... this is what I was ASKING: WHY do we have "to pressing rewind/fast forward potentially 7-8 times" in a first place? :shock:

Look: I use to do photography since I was 9 y.o.

..and I took my first pictures with Medium Format 60Х90mm captured German camera my father bring from Berlin in 1945 .. :) ..I found it in his storage and getting crazy to use it :D

there was a wide format film of only 8 picture 6X9 sm.. and I was really surprised of super wide dynamic range of this format and start to understand WHAT IS IT !!!

When I was 12 - my mom get me my first 8mm kino-camera "Ekran" ->

that was crazy time in Soviet Union - nothing was available in stores, no any photo-services , and I was mixing chemicals myself and doing all process of developing my films in our bathroom :lol:

and in a year I was filming with 16mm Krasnogorsk camera:

Finally, I was filming with 35mm Soviet professional film camera Konvas when I was 14 -16 y.o. -->

that camera was really big and too heavy for me.. as I never been tall and healthy

...and I tell you - NONE of any Digital cinema camera yet really as good as even my old 16mm FILM camera in case of character of the image!!!

16mm Krasnogorsk and 35mm Convas cameras have a mirrored obturateur system, and I was able to see in optical viewfinder exactly what I filming with it !!! and none of that cameras ever have so stupid "automatic" exposure..
I was not able "to measure the light" and that teach me to FEEL it and I learn how to get the RIGHT EXPOSURE in photography and filming.. so, I HATE any kind of "AUTO" in modern cameras.. they are always STUPID and never give me as much as I do it myself!

... some of young modern "photographers" will be not able even to take a single, properly exposed pic with that time old cameras without any kind of "automatic" crap... :lol:

rick.lang

PostSun May 31, 2015 2:04 pm

Thanks for sharing that trip down memory lane, Sergei. Rather amazing how you persevered under those conditions and advanced so quickly from stills to motion pictures in 8/16/35mm by your teens. I started in my early teens using stills cameras borrowed from a teacher and bought a used WWII era 16mm Bolex in my early 20s which I have today. I did my own processing in the school darkroom and also relied on experience to make my exposures. Film can be so forgiving when you are doing your own processing and printing so sometimes my negatives were poorly exposed but I could salvage a good image in the darkroom. Shooting digital is quite a different experience. It was a good training ground to learn on manual lenses which I prefer but quite nice to have tools like focus peaking, zebras, and at least a histogram, etc. I just can't use auto Iris but like auto white balance, it probably wouldn't be want I want anyway.

Rick Lang

Scott Pultz

PostSun May 31, 2015 5:00 pm

The single tap to get to the info screen can be infuriating. I was filming in Hawaii with a Gratical HD and otherwise had the camera gear covered in plastic since I was on the beach with the tripod in the Ocean. I would push the record button and nothing would happen. WHAT!?! It's because I had accidentally touched the screen bringing up the info screen. But there was no way to determine this from looking through the Gratical.

Would be really nice to have a way to disable the info screen or bury it in a menu.

Anna Petrova

PostSun May 31, 2015 8:30 pm

Sergei, if you dont like an auto button, just dont use it.
There is no reason to call the others stupid.
In such a trivia things... too much emotions and hate in your words, dont you think...

rick.lang

PostSun May 31, 2015 8:53 pm

No worries, Anna. Sergei's just passionate! And that's without having a couple of glasses of wine!

Rick Lang

Anna Petrova

PostSun May 31, 2015 9:43 pm

:D sure!

Sergei Smolovich

PostMon Jun 01, 2015 4:01 pm

Anna Petrova wrote:Sergei, if you dont like an auto button, just dont use it.
There is no reason to call the others stupid.
In such a trivia things... too much emotions and hate in your words, dont you think...
I never call anyone stupid (except "brainless cameras" and dictators Hitler and Putler )
Real hate today - in Moscow, and Ukrainian Crimea and Donbas!, not in my words....
so, I'm not wonder that you like everything "auto"... like "auto button" and AK-47... :evil:

Joey Ardion

PostMon Jun 01, 2015 4:29 pm

quick couple of questions that you may know or not know. Can the lcd screen turn a full 180 degrees like most dslr's for shooting yourself and being able to check focus? And number two, can we hook this up some how to the PC and stream live from it? Im looking forward to this camera but wish it had more information then what we got at NAB.

paul schefz

PostMon Jun 01, 2015 4:58 pm

for every person complaining about no buttons there is a person complaining about too many buttons...i tend to agree that in the real world some things are handled easier with buttons...my sony FS7 has a ton of buttons and no touchscreen....i prefer that to my red epic which has no buttons which is why people buy remotes and handgrips and such....
the sony actually is pretty sensible....6 user customizable buttons can take care of most things pretty quickly, funny thing is that most of the functions are already assigned to buttons but people don't really like where they are on the camera....hard to make everybody happy, options are good but too many buttons are strange....
i realized that a touch screen is not always the way to go when i got one in my car and all of a sudden had to take my eyes off the road to adjust the volume on my radio....you always know where your volume dial is in a car...tactile feedback is a nice thing when you just should not spend an extra split second taking your eyes off the road....working a camera can be pretty similar...

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Joey Ardion wrote:quick couple of questions that you may know or not know. Can the lcd screen turn a full 180 degrees like most dslr's for shooting yourself and being able to check focus?

90+ and 90- no selfies (could be seen as a public service).

Rick Lang

Sergei Smolovich

PostMon Jun 01, 2015 6:28 pm

paul schefz wrote:i realized that a touch screen is not always the way to go when i got one in my car and all of a sudden had to take my eyes off the road to adjust the volume on my radio....you always know where your volume dial is in a car...tactile feedback is a nice thing when you just should not spend an extra split second taking your eyes off the road....working a camera can be pretty similar...
Funny that I've got the same analogy in my mind, when I'm thinking about my proposal of making for us one Jog Wheel and options to work it with Function Buttons: I imagine "a car driver, who have a touch screen instead of steering wheel and brake pedal " :D :D :D

Joey Ardion

PostMon Jun 01, 2015 6:55 pm

rick.lang wrote:
Joey Ardion wrote:quick couple of questions that you may know or not know. Can the lcd screen turn a full 180 degrees like most dslr's for shooting yourself and being able to check focus?

90+ and 90- no selfies (could be seen as a public service).

Thanks, just wondered because the whole time at NAB 2015 i didn't see anyone play with the LCD. I guess you have to purchase a separate monitor system.

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 01, 2015 7:01 pm

Joey, there is the BMD Video Assist. It's the same panel as the fold out 5" touchscreen on the URSA Mini.

Rick Lang

Andrew Bell

PostMon Jun 01, 2015 8:01 pm

Sergei Smolovich wrote:2. Tap on screen to get 100% image for easy focusing – but ... silly SLATE jump ON... instead of 100% image .. I can’t imagine something more idiotic than this ! :mad:

Hey mate! I can give you huge advise for that? To get better and more workable taps on you screen you can touch with your hand also the camera's metal body. It works like a grounding. I was mad first time using it just like you but after I found a workaround. If I need to tap the screen I first touch the camera's body and then tapping all the way. This time touchscreens is capacitive and if you have dry skin than your tapping can be a challange. So ground yourself with the camera's body first. It quickly became a habit for me.

Sergei Smolovich wrote:3. If I need to change the Aperture on Canon-lenses – WHY I need to go INTO SCREEN MENU and push knobs to go up or down? .. INSTEAD to TORN some kind of WHEEL on camera…

WHAT? You should know your hardware better! You can do it pressing the |< and >| buttons without any menu entering.

What you thinked about before getting you camera mate? It is NOT perfect at all! (Show me the perfect camera haha!). But it costs low and you can get so beautiful pictures! I am not happy too with interface and glossy screen but I got the darn RAW picture and it just beautiful! I love how it looks much more than Red's or Alexa's blurred pics! Because it is crystal sharp! Eye-blowing sharp! And I love it! This is modern times!

Blackmagic Production 4K Camera
https://www.youtube.com/user/reklama4demo

Joey Ardion

PostMon Jun 01, 2015 8:23 pm

rick.lang wrote:Joey, there is the BMD Video Assist. It's the same panel as the fold out 5" touchscreen on the URSA Mini.

So say for example i use an sdi out into the video assist, am i then cornered into recording at 1080p?
What if i simply want to use it as a second monitor assist without recording anything, is that possible?
Im reading the specs and it looks like a great tool to use but i don't want to only use it to record, most times just mainly as a monitor to maintain correct focus.

Andrew Bell

PostMon Jun 01, 2015 8:39 pm

Don't expect a lot from this Joey. This is usual "bright" LCD screen with only 135° viewing angle. Advantage here is 1080p only.

rick.lang

Ursa Mini 4.6k

PostMon Jun 01, 2015 8:52 pm

Joey, you can use it as a 1080p recorder and/or simply as a monitor.

Rick Lang

Sergei Smolovich

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 12:06 am

Andrew Bell wrote:Hey mate! I can give you..
WHAT? You should know your hardware better! You can do it pressing the |< and >| buttons without any menu entering. What you thinked about before getting you camera mate?
I never drink with you on "Brudershaft", so what a reason do you have to teach me? :oops:
you better TEACH your dictator putler - to move out Russian militants from Ukraine!! :evil:
... ... I just got the PROOF of my critique of Blackmagic Design - I INSTALL NEW FIRMWARE !!!
so,now I can SET UP ASPECT RATIO GUIDES - exactly as I was asking them for about TWO YEARS!!! :D :D :D

Steven Abrams

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 3:29 am

Sergei Smolovich wrote:I INSTALL NEW FIRMWARE and no I can SET UP ASPECT RATIO GUIDES - exactly as I was asking them for about TWO YEARS!!! :D :D :D

Other people were asking for them for 3 years.

Actually none of what you're asking for is anything new and I bet Blackmagic has considered all of it before you even knew about the URSA Mini. I heard a ton of the same suggestions/questions at NAB, and some of the BMD employees talked about scrollwheels etc before anyone asked when I was there.

Also, capitalizing words is used to emphasize important points, but when you do it as often as you do then nothing you type seems important anymore. Just something to consider.

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 3:50 am

rick.lang wrote:Joey, you can use it as a 1080p recorder and/or simply as a monitor.

It has a very nice display, especially in light of its price.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Joey Ardion

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 5:05 am

Thats good to hear, im using this down time to figure out what ill need before everything comes out.
Also another important question i had, Looking at the specs and size of the Ursa Mini, looks like i would be able to successfully handle it on my Manfrotto 502 fluid head, but im not too entirely sure. Looked like they were using manfrotto fluid heads at NAB, this year with the Mini but i could be wrong. What do you guys think? Might the 502 work or would i need a larger head?

riccardocovino

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Has anyone noted that on the specs the speed of 120 fps in cropped fullHD is disappeared?
Now max available speed seems to be 60p :(

Andrew Bell

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 12:50 pm

Right now I can clearly read the next:

URSA Mini can capture full resolution 4.6K recordings at up to 60 frames per second and up to 120 frames per second in regular 1080 HD!

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... icursamini

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 2:03 pm

The pre-production models would probably do fine on a 502, and the production models will be a bit lighter, so I think it will be good. If it's enough for a BMCC, it will do for an Ursa Mini.
Rakesh Malik
System:
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

riccardocovino

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 6:14 pm

Andrew Bell wrote:Right now I can clearly read the next:

URSA Mini can capture full resolution 4.6K recordings at up to 60 frames per second and up to 120 frames per second in regular 1080 HD!

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... icursamini

As I said, on the Tech Specs page is said only up to 60p

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... techspecs/

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 6:57 pm

The 60 fps refers to the project frame rate. The sensor frame rate can be set at 120 fps. No problem here.

Rick Lang

Paul Kapp

PostTue Jun 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Joey Ardion wrote:, Looking at the specs and size of the Ursa Mini, looks like i would be able to successfully handle it on my Manfrotto 502 fluid head, but im not too entirely sure. Looked like they were using manfrotto fluid heads at NAB, this year with the Mini but i could be wrong. What do you guys think? Might the 502 work or would i need a larger head?

They were using 502's at NAB, going off the videos. The 502 can take 8.8lbs and counterbalance. With EVF, battery., lens and baseplate it would exceed that a bit I think. I have a 504 which handles 16lbs and an.older Vinten V3 which handles 20lbs+ which is smooth but heavy. The 504 looks just right. We will see. I would want 75mm bowl type for this camera.

Daryl Gregory

PostWed Jun 03, 2015 2:06 am

riccardocovino wrote:Has anyone noted that on the specs the speed of 120 fps in cropped fullHD is disappeared?
Now max available speed seems to be 60p :(

I would like to remind people who want Slow Motion that taking 120FPS from the URSA MINI in 1080P
and using Twixtor you could create some amazing 180FPS or even 240FPS slow motion with minimal distortion or visual anomalies, depending on the type of shot of course.

Paul Kapp

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 5:02 am

control-grop-features.png
control-grop-features.png (274.6 KiB) Viewed 25828 times
http://www.zacuto.com/control-grip
Costs almost as much as the camera but,
would round out the ENG form factor of the EF Mini as with a B4 lens but at a fraction of the cost of EF Cine zooms.

Kevin DeOliveira

PostFri Jun 05, 2015 7:12 pm

I'd love to see an aftermarket grip with real buttons and a wheel. The BMD menus system leaves a LOT to be desired on set. I love minimal design, but it goes too far.

Red gets away touchscreen control because the menu structured smart, on the periphery of the image. After shooting dragon again over the past week, I can't overstate how much smarter this is.

Leaving the image to make small adjustments (shutter/iso for example) is crazy. You don't get that real time visual feedback on the adjustments you're making. Think about toggling between crop modes and frame rates. You have to leave the image, make the adjustment, then go back to review the image. It's doable, but it drives me nuts.

Thus, I at least want a grip with good, programmable button controls.
BMPC4k / BMPCC / URSA Mini (Pre-order)
kevdeo.com

Sergei Smolovich

PostMon Jun 08, 2015 1:06 pm

Kevin DeOliveira wrote:I'd love to see an aftermarket grip with real buttons and a wheel. The BMD menus system leaves a LOT to be desired on set. I love minimal design, but it goes too far.

Red gets away touchscreen control because the menu structured smart, on the periphery of the image. After shooting dragon again over the past week, I can't overstate how much smarter this is.

Leaving the image to make small adjustments (shutter/iso for example) is crazy. You don't get that real time visual feedback on the adjustments you're making. Think about toggling between crop modes and frame rates. You have to leave the image, make the adjustment, then go back to review the image. It's doable, but it drives me nuts.

Thus, I at least want a grip with good, programmable button controls.
BINGO !!! That's exactly what I asking Blackmagic for !!! :)

John Brawley

PostTue Jun 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Kevin DeOliveira wrote:I'd love to see an aftermarket grip with real buttons and a wheel.

I've been using this one lately and though it doens't have wheels, it's a hell of a comfortable grip to use day in and day out.

The MK4 Cinegrip supports LANC and I know that BM are looking to expand the LANC functionality. It has 3 buttons plus you can mash them together and program even more functions.

https://www.shootingmachine.net/

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles
Previous

Return to Cinematography