ursa mini power consume W/mAh

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michael Moore

ursa mini power consume W/mAh

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 2:30 pm

I dont find in Blackmagic manual or techincal specification nothing about ursa mini 4K power consume. I use a 150W v-mount battery and with firmware 3.3 i can shoot nearly 3 hours (without use phantom power). After the update to 4.0 firmware i see that its nearly 2h 45 minutes or less. You have same problem with yours ursa mini? What is official power consume in W or mAh for ursa mini 4K?

Denny Smith

Re: ursa mini power consume W/mAh

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 4:04 pm

This would be normal, as DW 4.0 is actually a new, larger OS for the camera, requiring a little more power to run. The more features you use on the camera, the greater the power consumption. So power requirements, vary depending on what is running in the camera, like phantom power, external EVF connected, etc. All these add up to a greater power drain.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Bill Hall

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 8:12 pm

Power delivery also depends on the battery manufacturer, age / condition of battery and how recently it was charged. I charge my batteries after every use and top off if it sits for 4-5days before I use it again. I have a 90 whamphr battery by Swintronics that delivers about 2.5 hours of run time URSA Mini 4K with Phantom power to mike. Then I have a 180 monster from Blueshape that I ran for 6.5 hours, not quite drained but could call it done under very similar conditions. I was running 4.0 Beta, installed the new 4.0 last night.

Michael Moore

PostThu Oct 27, 2016 10:04 pm

Bill Hall wrote: I have a 90 whamphr battery by Swintronics that delivers about 2.5 hours of run time URSA Mini 4K with Phantom power to mike. Then I have a 180 monster from Blueshape that I ran for 6.5 hours, not quite drained but could call it done under very similar conditions.

I don't understand. Even with 3.3 firmware my Beillen 150W (its 8 month older buy it same time with my ursa mini 4K) give me just 3 hours autonomy. I don't use usual phantom power mic but i use the viewfinder when i shooting from the shoulder mount rig. But when i use the viewfinder the LCD screen is turned off so the power consume must decrease. How its possible that your Swintronics 90W to give you 2 hours 50 minutes and my Beillen 150W to give me maxim 3 hours? You use the viewfinder?

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 12:14 am

Not all batteries are created equal, Switchtronic batters are very well made from premium battery cells.
Many lower cost batteries like the Beillen, use lesser quality cells. Also, some manufactures claim a higher wattage on the batterynlabel, than the battery actually has. So your 150-watt batter might not really be a 150 watts.

With batteries Michael, you really get what you pay for. Standard batteries cost less, have smaller charge capacity, while premium batteries like Switchtronics, IDX, Bebob cost more, they hold a charge longer, are correctly labeled as to charge, and give better performance. In the long run they end up costing less per hour of use, over the lifetime of the battery.

I have a 5-year old 75-watt IDX, that outperforms a Sony 75/100 watt battery of the same age.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Michael Moore

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 9:23 am

I find this articole http://nofilmschool.com/2015/09/everything-you-wanted-know-about-working-blackmagic-ursa-mini. I quote what the author say: "We own a couple of Lanparte V-lock batteries (150wh). A single battery lasts a little under three hours, which actually surprised me. I figured it was going to be less. Just for reference: the BMCC (and the BMPC) draws way less power -- one V-lock battery lasts about 12 hours. It’s a bother that the Lanpare batteries don’t communicate with the Ursa Mini. Supposedly the remaining battery life should show on the screen, but it doesn’t. I’m sure that the issue is just with the Lanparte’s though."
So my Beillen 150W its ok if give me 3 hours autonomy? So the ursa mini power consume is 50W/hour? Why Blackmagic don't give us this technical information?

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Yes, but the WH power drain depends on how the camera is set up, and if the EVF is connected and on.
You could say that camera in an average configuration draws about 50WH, bit since this can vary, BM (I guess) is not making any official claim, due to the various country consumer protection laws.

If BM says the camera uses 45WH, for example, and someone sets a UM up with a EVF connected to (powered from) the camera, runs tow phantom Mic's, with power on, records at a high frame rate using ProRes 444, and only gets two hours from a 150WH battery, because their are now drawing 60WH of power, can complain the camera is not delivering up to the claimed specs of 50WH power draw.

So BM does not make a power consumption claim, too many variations in using the camera, that can change the actual power consumption.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Michael Moore

PostFri Oct 28, 2016 11:03 pm

How i say already my viewfinder is always connected to my my ursa mini 4K but i use it just when i shooting from shoulder mount kit or when camera is on tripod but i cant see nothing on LCD because is a bright sun. In few situation i use my MKH 416 with phantom power.
I think BM can say the medium power consume with or without viewfinder or phantom power microphone.

Uli Plank

PostSat Oct 29, 2016 3:55 pm

The UM46 with the EVF (lcd off) needs about half as much as Red Epic Dragon running with an LCD, if that helps.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Denny Smith

PostSat Oct 29, 2016 4:48 pm

Good one Uli :D
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Michael Moore

PostSat Oct 29, 2016 9:57 pm

Uli Plank wrote:The UM46 with the EVF (lcd off) needs about half as much as Red Epic Dragon running with an LCD, if that helps.

Nice joke Uli. If you want i can tell you how much power consume Sony FS7 because the big company don't make a secret from these theme. But here is a forum about Blackmagic, so lets keep the brand flag up.

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Nov 06, 2016 10:07 pm

Bill Hall wrote:Power delivery also depends on the battery manufacturer, age / condition of battery and how recently it was charged. I charge my batteries after every use and top off if it sits for 4-5days before I use it again. I have a 90 whamphr battery by Swintronics that delivers about 2.5 hours of run time URSA Mini 4K with Phantom power to mike. Then I have a 180 monster from Blueshape that I ran for 6.5 hours, not quite drained but could call it done under very similar conditions. I was running 4.0 Beta, installed the new 4.0 last night.

I've got that 98Wh Switronix Hypercore, but I'm getting barely 90 minutes of runtime on the Ursa Mini from a fresh fully charged battery. I don't have any extra accessories plugged in that would draw more juice, so I'm really scratching my head trying to figure out how others are getting 2.5 hours or more out of the same battery. Marco Solario says he's getting nearly 3 hours in his article on that battery and the Ursa Mini:
http://www.onerivermedia.com/blog/switronix-hypercore-reviewed/

Anyone else have a similar issue?
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Emilian Dechev

PostSun Nov 06, 2016 10:29 pm

130Wh gives me 3 to 3.5hrs on the Ursa Mini 4.6K. Dont forget the display brightness.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Nov 06, 2016 11:11 pm

There's no secret. I posted this more than a year ago :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40714#p235279

CaptainHook wrote:Hi, the URSA Mini with a Viewfinder attached is around 45-50Wh, depending on your framerate etc.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Jamie LeJeune

PostSun Nov 06, 2016 11:37 pm

CaptainHook wrote:There's no secret. I posted this more than a year ago :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40714#p235279

CaptainHook wrote:Hi, the URSA Mini with a Viewfinder attached is around 45-50Wh, depending on your framerate etc.

That really makes me wonder how Marco Solorio is getting 2.5-3 hours out of the exact same 98Wh Switronix Hypercore battery I'm using. Based on the stated power draw he should only be getting the 2 hours or less that I've been getting. How can Marco be getting more time out of the same battery even when he has more powered accessories attached than I do?
www.cinedocs.com

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 1:22 am

You'd have to check with him. I use globalmediapro 190Wh batteries and get around 3.5-4 hours. I have two which generally cover me for a day.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Jamie LeJeune

PostMon Nov 07, 2016 3:24 am

CaptainHook wrote:You'd have to check with him. I use globalmediapro 190Wh batteries and get around 3.5-4 hours. I have two which generally cover me for a day.

I sent Marco a message, but haven't heard back. I've got a Switronix 190Wh and get the same out of it as your 190Wh, about 3.5-4 hours. Good to know that it's normal and there's not something wrong with my batteries or camera.
www.cinedocs.com

Liviu Georgescu

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 9:53 pm

Beillen batteries are just fine, too fine if you ask me. I am owner of Ursa 4k the big one, with 10 inch display and another two. The big one is set to 100% brightness, the other 5 inch at 90%. A digital power (cheap one) or known as wondland 95 WH form start, recording all the time, I got 1 hour and half of recording time until shut down. Battery is new in mint condition. An old Bebob 75 Wh lasts only one hour. A 4 year Old Beillen, 150 WH, which one year was left to rot in a closet which I just bought Second Hand and was drained of power, after charging, gave me 2 hours and half. I ordered a new Beillen 150WH to compaire it with this old one. I have a strange feeling that will give me roughly the same, 2.5 hours. The housing of Beillens I saw it in some more expensive batteries. I also ordered a 190 WH Patona (cheap line less than 200 eur) I will test that also. I will use batteries with Lightstorms from Aputure and also the big Ursa. Just wanted to let you knwo guys that Beillens are not as low quality as some peoples are assuming.

Return to Cinematography