UM46K - clean glass (in front of sensor) with "Green Clean"

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Emilian Dechev

UM46K - clean glass (in front of sensor) with "Green Clean"

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 11:48 am

The camera is Ursa Mini 4.6K

Someone have experience cleaning (OLPF ?) the glass in front of the sensor, with this system "Green Clean"?

This is by NO means advertising, its just the first product someone recommended to do the job.

NOTE: I dont have the vacuum thing, only the swabs. I have some other blowers though, so I will get rid of tiny particles, before getting in.
Last edited by Emilian Dechev on Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Emilian Dechev

Re: UM46K - clean OLPF glass with "Green Clean"

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 2:55 pm

So I had 3 dark spots on the image, that were located in the same place. I could see them, while stopped down do f22. And tried that with 2 different lens. So it was clearly the OLPF or the sensor itself.

Now I cleaned the OLPF and cant see the spots anymore. So I am glad with the results, but there are 3 things you need to consider, if you are going to clean OLPF or sensor:

1. You need to go with the "dry swab" immediately after the "wet swab". And I mean immediately. That is because, the wet thingy dries up very fast and then it leaves some smudge marks.

2. No matter how much time and effort you spend - the glass will never look 100% clean. There will always be some left-over smudges, but as long as they dont show in the image - that is ok!

3. Cleaning the OLPF is alright, but I would never clean the sensor itself. I would look for a service center.

Dan Shay

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 3:21 pm

Huh. I thought the 4.6k didn't have a on olpf. Hence these guys selling one

Kyle Gordon

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 10:04 pm

the BM sensor has a piece of glass over it, it's not really an olpf, but I think thats what he meant, so theres still an application for the olpf that mosaic is selling. I bought them for my 5Dmkii and then BMCC, and loved both.
Kyle Gordon
Professional Singer/Composer/Producer and Director/Editor/Colorist

Emilian Dechev

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 7:25 am

Yes, that piece of glass. So it is not olpf? Well it may be for protection only, and to provide "dust proof" operation while changing lens. I am glad I had to clean this guy, instead of the sensor.

Uli Plank

Re: UM46K - clean glass (in front of sensor) with "Green Cle

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 8:27 am

Definitely not an OLPF. The UM46K and the Pro show the same amount of aliasing and sharpness. A Red at the same resolution is softer, but free from aliasing under all normal conditions (with the exception of mild effects with very critical test patterns). It has an OLPF, even exchangeable ones with the Dragon sensor.

I just wonder how the Mosaic OLPF will interact with the ND wheel and the planned improvement for the rainbow flare, both mechanically and regarding double IR filtering.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Cinematography