Update for the micro coming soon?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ryan Payne

Update for the micro coming soon?

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 1:07 am

From what I can see the micro cinema camera and studio hasn't received a firmware update since 3.0, now coming up on 4.4 can we expect any updates to features or fixes?

Fixes to cross hatching footage? FPN in the shadows? Are there plans to expand upon what can be controlled via the expansion port? Menu controls, fps and recording format? Maybe some additional features that the V2 chip might be able to handle at 1080p? Anamorphic shooting etc.

Feels like it's time to show this micro range some love, I hope it hasn't been abandoned.

Denny Smith

Re: Update for the micro coming soon?

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 5:57 am

Abandoned, no, but it's not likely going to see any major changes. Both Micro cameras firmware is/has all we can expect to get. There will be no V2 of any HD sensors (per BM), and Micro Studio is already at UHD, which is all that is currently required for most broadcast applications.

The 1929x1080p HD format has reached its "End of Live" and no new HD cameras are planned by most manufacturers, as they will not sell well in today's market. BM has stated any new small sensor cameras like these and the Pocket need to be at least UHD or fill 4K, and no suitable sensors are currently available.

Remote connections via SBus, etc already control the camera functions that can be controlled remotely.
So I doubt if we see any future changes. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

GeranSimpson

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 8:27 am

That's a damn shame, because I'd pay good money for a micro with a 2.5k sensor, no other improvements.

Ryan Payne

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 11:24 am

Seems a bit pessimistic to say that's all there is, no need for any improvement or expansion. While there isn't a V2 sensor there was a V2 chip used to reach 60p and lower rolling shutter. Companies like Panasonic push their products to get them as feature rich as possible while still working within the limitations of the hardware.

So either BM was extremely short sited with some of the obvious lacking feature like having a remote control camera that is completely controllable. Who would want to lower their drone each time they want to change their fps for slow mo. Or they are simply neglecting to expand upon a product that isn't that old and originally had it's sites set on global shutter. So I feel like there is untapped processing power in this little micro and everyone who has one should be asking for more. More fixes, more features more anything, if the potential is there then why not, instead of writing off the product.

The pocket went through years of updates to get it to it's point and feature set and simply because the micro is derived from it shouldn't and doesn't mean it's simply done, it has it's problems and missing feature that simply should be there but for some reason is not.

Dmytro Shijan

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 1:13 pm

Yep, new firmware for BMMCC is in unknown state. Wonder if it so complicated to add clear 16:9 overlays, more customized overlay guides, few additional focus peaking colors, more mapping options to control camera menus with s.bus, 432 and larger shutter angles to be able shoot 60fps for 60fps delivery with classic motion blur and for better timelapses.
More complicated options are LUT support add FPN calibration.
BMMCC/BMMSC Rigs Collection https://bmmccrigs.tumblr.com
My custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Would be nice, but I think we have not seen these updates due to hardware limitions, like Global Shutter, hardware/sensor could not support a quality looking image that was needed, so it was dropped. I would not look to seeing thismon the current hardware platform.

The reason you can not control frame rates with a remote, is frame rates are not independently selected, as they are on the larger Ursa Mini, but they (FPS) are tied to the camera's resolution setting. When you cnage this, the camera needs to reboot, to enable the new selection, so this is outside of what SBus can currently do on the Micro, with the camera's current design.

Maybe we can get some of these features on the next 4K small sensor camera BM comes up with. I think this camera is going to be different from bothnthe Pocket and current Micro camera.

Other features, like framing guides, etc could be done via firmware, but not a BM priority currently right now, it seems. :roll:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stu Aitken

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 7:57 pm

I share the doubts it will happen but will add my voice anyway

I'd love to see a firmware upgrade - my biggest asks:

full menu control over sbus (just mirror the front camera button functionality)
or at least add framerate and codec settings to sbus controls
fix crosshatching de-bayer issue

that's about it to be honest for me

Ryan Payne

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 4:39 am

They've obviously put a lot of resources into the 4.4 ursa firmware update and I know a new product does deserve the front line. All I can hope for is that fixes and updates may come at some point now that 4.4 is complete. Maybe we might get some overflow from it who knows.

If the 4k production camera was able to over come it's FPN with further updates and calibration then I can't see why the micros crosshatching and fpn issues can't be solved.

I'd imagine a global shutter would have been too hard to achieve but that means there must be more that this camera can do, more power sitting there to be utilized for less demanding features, features that only run at 30p etc because why not.

I know the ursa line is where the money is but I hope the rest of the range are next in line for an update even to simply fix problems let alone additional features.

Scott Thomas

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 9:55 am

Six months on from the original post and there is nothing significantly new on the Micro cameras.

What I would expect (and hope) to see in any future versions of the camera are:

Onboard 4K recording (RIP Production Camera 4K) or as a back pack option between battery and body.

WiFi monitoring (its fits in a GoPro so why not?)

Wider FOV for more action shots.

The Sony RX0 is an interesting comparison but doesn't have the quality of the BM micros and AVCHD S is a nightmare.

Come on Blackmagic Design, late Christmas present?
Senior video editor. Freelance London
Host of DaVinci Resolve Users Group on Facebook.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 10:29 am

Haven't you seen the update that came out 3 weeks ago??? :lol:

But to comment on a few of your ideas..

Recording onboard.. Why not put a VA on it.. I mean it is a Studio camera. Why would i want to record inside.. And don't forget that a recorder to put on as a backpack will also costs 400-500 dollars.. So why not use the VA. and get the screen for free ;)

Wifi monitoring.. Why not.. Again it is a studio camera. Designed to use in studio's, To work with shading and to do live video..
Why not just ask BMD for a Action cam if you want a replacement for the Gopro so badly.. :P
And then all people will ask for 12G sdi output, exchangable lenses, shading, 6K Raw @ 240FPS.. etc etc..

All in all nice features but were is the balance between a camera that can do it all, and the price you want to pay for it.. Because all those options are nice.. But don't forget the price of such camera will be 2 or 3 times the price you buy them for now.. OOh wait with that price point we are almost talking about the UMP :lol: :lol:

This is what it is. This product is still sold in numbers and not yet EOL. They are probabbly working on some new camera that will come out in 2 years or so.. And yes i do have the feeling this could be a 12G version..
But give BMD a break. They make such diversity of products. And a lot of them have still a lot of firmware changes to go.. Let them finnish the products they have now and we wil see what the future brings..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Also, to get a wider FOV from a given focal length, would require a larger sensor, then you would have a Panny GH5s... the Micro camera’s are great, if you want a wider FOV, just put in a wider focal length lens, like a 9.5mm or 8mm Super Speed! :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography