Buying the BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

StoytchoStoytchev

Buying the BMPCC

PostFri Jul 21, 2017 8:21 pm

Hello everyone,

My mind is now pretty much set on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. I do however have some questions about lenses, battery etc... and as we're talking about pretty expensive items, I don't want to buy something that is not compatible or could damage the camera.

For the battery, I found this one : MAXOAK 177 (12000mAh/14.8) (Couldn't post URL)

Is it ok for the BMPCC ?

Secondly, I originally wanted to get a speedbooster + sigma 18-35. But there are so much posts out there from people complaining about focus problems that I changed my mind.
As a cinema student I want to make cinema and as such I decided to get a true cinema lens : the veydra 16mm. I did however come across some posts talking about play in the mount and the necessity of getting the veydra universal lens clamp + the rod adapter. If I don't get it, will it damage my BMPCC ? Is a SmallRig lens support enough ?

Then comes the question of monitoring. Are there any good monitors out there for 150 euros max ? Also, concerning the HDMI, to preserve it, is it enough to plug a mini HDMI/HDMI cable and leave it there with a cable clamp from ?

Thank you so much

Stoytcho

Johan Cramer

Re: Buying the BMPCC

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 8:47 am

StoytchoStoytchev wrote:For the battery, I found this one : MAXOAK 177 (12000mAh/14.8) (Couldn't post URL)

Is it ok for the BMPCC ?

It doesn't seem to have a power cable for the BMPCC. In addition, do you really want a heavy V-Mount battery that weighs 2.4 lbs/1kg, three times the weight of the BMPCC body? I'd rather opt for buying a cheap (ca. $20) SmallRig battery adapter for Sony NP-F batteries, and one or more offbrand NP-F batteries. An NP-F 970 will power the Pocket for hours, and you can optionally buy smaller NP-F batteries for situations where you need a more compact/lightweight setup.

Secondly, I originally wanted to get a speedbooster + sigma 18-35. But there are so much posts out there from people complaining about focus problems that I changed my mind.

Which posts are you referring to? The combination of the Metabones 0.58 Pocket Speed Booster and the BMPCC is splendid. I'd advise to get the Nikon version of both the adapter and the lens since this will give you a full manual, stepless aperture ring. If your original plan was to use the Canon EF Speedbooster + Canon EF version of the lens together with autofocus, then the simple answer is that the BMPCC is a camera that cannot be sensibly used as an autofocus camera. The focus and aperture buttons are just crutches to make the camera work with fully electronic lenses.

As a cinema student I want to make cinema and as such I decided to get a true cinema lens : the veydra 16mm.

This is a beautiful lens, with a perfect standard focal length for the BMPCC. But don't forget that the Sigma is also sold as a cinema lens (in a different housing but with identical optics). The advantage of the Veydra mostly is that it (a) is compact and lightweight, (b) can be used together with other Veydra lenses without having to change focus gear setups.

Then comes the question of monitoring. Are there any good monitors out there for 150 euros max ? Also, concerning the HDMI, to preserve it, is it enough to plug a mini HDMI/HDMI cable and leave it there with a cable clamp from ?

Strong recommendations: Avoid external monitoring with the BMPCC, since the HDMI port is the weak part of its construction. It's soldered directly on the mainboard. Using an HDMI monitor with the camera is a recipe for damaging, sooner or later, the HDMI port and with it the whole mainboard of the camera.

If you want to use an external monitor, better get the Micro Cinema Camera instead of the BMPCC. (Which has the same sensor and image as the Pocket, with the addition of higher frame rates, a better battery solution and a much more robust HDMI port.)

rick.lang

Buying the BMPCC

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 5:49 pm

The advantage of the BMPCC is stealth, but as you add a rig, you lose that. If you don't need stealth, and are buying a new camera, I'd also go with the Micro Cinema Camera as mentioned. 60 fps comes in very handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Leon Benzakein

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 6:33 pm

I have the BMPCC, the Nikon to Metabones SB and Sigma 18-35 mm lens.
I agree with the idea of purchasing the Micro Cinema Camera instead.

All very wise advice given on this post.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 7:20 pm

I have both the BMPCC and the BMMCC and I like the image from the PCC better. The MCC has more artifacts.

StoytchoStoytchev

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 8:19 pm

Thank you all for your responses.

After reading your posts and doing a little research, it seems like the micro cinema camera is all in all better than the Pocket so I think I'm going to go in that direction. I do however have some additionnal questions :

- How much recording time can I get out of a 64gb sd card ? I will be shooting in the best mode possible (Raw 3:1 I think ?). I'm thinking about buying 3 of them, and renting some more when shooting a real project.

- Is Davinci Resolve Lite enough for me to do all the grading I want from the footage I get ?

- I've indeed been looking into a SmallRig power adapter for N970 batteries but on the title it says something like "for bmpcc, bmcc and bmpc". Does it also work on the Micro ? And how long will the 35euro n970 knock off battery power the camera ? Does the n990 work as well ?

- And finally, what do you think of the BM video assist 5" ?

Thanks a lot !

rick.lang

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 10:59 pm

Valuable feedback, Gene.

So there may be a trade off between the image quality if the Pocket camera (which I agree produces a lovely image) and the features and improved build quality of the newer Micro. The Pocket has been BMD's best selling camera. Not always an easy decision for Stoytcho, so we shall await the decision. It's not like there's a right and wrong answer, but which camera best balances the shooter's needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

RobStowell

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 1:50 am

I'd wait to buy a monitor, rig, etc. Depends on what you want to do with the camera, but it's possible to shoot without any of that. I'd think about a tripod/monopod and an audio recorder/preamp first. BMPCC is hard to hand-hold, for sure, but not impossible, depending on your lens. The lcd isn't great, but in many situations it's usable, and with a simple sunshade, even in bright sun. You may need ND filters and an IR cut - but you may not. Depends a lot what and how you are able to shoot. But getting the camera, a lens, and a handful of batteries and giving it a go is where I'd start. You'll find plenty to spend money on as you go :)

Leon Benzakein

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 6:23 am

Gene Kochanowsky wrote:I have both the BMPCC and the BMMCC and I like the image from the PCC better. The MCC has more artifacts.

Good to know.
Television: Lighting/Cameraman, O.B. Camera Operator, Experience in EFP, EPG and ENG , Grip, Lamp Operator
Film: Grip, Lamp Operator
Theater: Lighting Designer, Light board Operator, Stage Electrician, Stage Management

StoytchoStoytchev

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 pm

Bump.

I posted a reply that took some time to be approved. It is situated just after Ricks second message in this post, if someone could be so kind as to answer the few questions I had.

Thanks a lot.

Stoytcho

Johan Cramer

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 6:19 pm

StoytchoStoytchev wrote:- How much recording time can I get out of a 64gb sd card ? I will be shooting in the best mode possible (Raw 3:1 I think ?).

About 35-40 minutes.

- Is Davinci Resolve Lite enough for me to do all the grading I want from the footage I get ?

Yes, by far.

I've indeed been looking into a SmallRig power adapter for N970 batteries but on the title it says something like "for bmpcc, bmcc and bmpc".

With the Micro, you don't need the SmallRig adapter adapter, because its much more potent standard (Canon) battery powers the camera for about 1 hour 30 minutes.

And finally, what do you think of the BM video assist 5" ?

Superfluous, since you won't need the recorder function built into BM video assist. Better buy a smaller dedicated 5" monitor that accepts the same batteries as the BM Micro (such as the excellent SmallHD Focus).

RobStowell

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 2:19 am

- Raw you should get about 19 minutes on a 64GB card. (ProresHQ is 40-45)
- There's not really a 'resolve lite' any more. Resolve 12.5 or Resolve 14 (newer, but maybe a little buggy) are very full featured. Ridiculously so for free software.
They DO require fairly heavy-duty hardware, so take a look at the specs first. There are some great additional functions in the paid versions (approx US$300), primarily noise reduction.
But 98% of the functionality is there in the free version, and it's plenty to work with. In fact it's the best place to start; I've struggled to get raw footage looking any good in other NLEs.

Return to Cinematography