using LANC on MicroStudio Cam will preseve other lens ctrl ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Cristian Secară

using LANC on MicroStudio Cam will preseve other lens ctrl ?

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 11:55 pm

Assuming this theoretical scenario:
- a Micro Studio Camera 4K, with a B4 lenses on it (say, a Fujinon); the lens has RS-232 serial remote capability and the camera is connected with the lens, via its expansion cable / B4 connector
- the camera has some manual LANC remote for zoom control connected to the camera, via its expansion cable / 2.5mm jack
- the camera return video comes from an ATEM Production Studio, controlled with software panel

My questions are:
- does the camera know how to route/convert the LANC zoom control that comes from the 2.5mm jack to the serial data passed to the B4 lenses to actually move the zoom ?
- the iris & focus lens controls coming from the ATEM camera panel are passed unaffected to the lens when using the physical LANC ? (this one only for zoom control)
- the zoom control coming from the ATEM camera panel also works together with the physical LANC ? (let's say one at a time)

Thank you,
Cristi

Denny Smith

Re: using LANC on MicroStudio Cam will preseve other lens ct

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 5:35 pm

No, LANC control is for Prosummer lens control. B4 ENF zooms do not use LANC protocol, as they use a 8 or 12-pin dedicated remote for remote camera control that connects to the lens directly. The ATEM can also control the lens via CCU control, if the return Video line is connected to the Micro Studio camera, or an Arduino Shield can be used. I do not think (haven't tried this) the Micro Studio is going to "translate" LANC control commands to control the camera zoom. If you have a Fuji lens, you can try suing the VariZoom Fuji F series LANC controller or the Model for Canon lenses, and see if it works. I have both a LANC and 8-pin Varizoom or Bebob controllers available if you want to give it a go. PM me for details.
Also, a 8-pin controller can be adapted to a 12-pin ENG lens.

Also, Sony/Canon and Fuji B4 zooms use a different protocol. The smaller Prosummer servo zooms used in 1/2-inch and 1/3-inch CCD cameras line the Canon XL series, included LANC control, but not the larger Pro 1/2 or 2/3rds CCD B4 Zooms. You need the correct dedicated ENG remote for either Canon or Fuji servo zooms. Some models inc'uded a switch to be used with both lenses.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Cristian Secară

PostMon Aug 21, 2017 7:31 pm

I know that B4 does not use LANC protocol, matter of fact the Fujinon digital/serial lens uses L10 protocol – on Arduino forum there is somewhere a specification for version 1.40 available.

The possible lenses in my case would be a Fujinon ZA17x7.6BERD-S6 (Z... being conferencing series).

Let's say, forget about LANC. A chain system using ATEM Production Studio (even including a physical panel) connected back to a Micro Studio Camera 4K knows already how to talk Fujinon L10 protocol with such lenses ?
(the B4 serial protocol type, if different between Fujinon/Canon/etc. lens, is somehow user selectable or configurable ?)

Edit:
Denny Smith wrote:I do not think (haven't tried this) the Micro Studio is going to "translate" LANC control commands to control the camera zoom.
Hmm. Given that, in practice, I found that pin 1 from the expansion cable / B4 connector is in fact LANC signal (and NOT Ground, as wrongly specified in camera manual) wired physically from the 2.5mm LANC socket, then probably the Micro Studio is indeed not able to translate the LANC directly to B4 serial (i.e. it looks like it was put there "as is" and left at the user discretion).

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 2:23 am

OK, the way you asked the question, was not sure. Glad you got it sorted. I didn't think the camera was going to translate LANC to L10 protocol, or any other ENG lens control protocol. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Howard Roll

PostTue Aug 22, 2017 5:14 am

Typically the zoom control is independent of the camera B4 connector as is focus, though the lens zoom and sometimes focus can be controlled from this cable. The B4 connector is the same for all lenses and connects directly to the camera. Zoom is another cable altogether and they are specific to Canon or Fujinon and interface with those zoom and focus controllers directly.

Lanc aside, with proprietary controls, the engineer and operator are not allowed to share control, it's one or the other, a typical configuration is the engineer controlling iris with the operator in charge of zoom and focus. FIZ are all based on encoders and 2 values can't exist simultaneously, it's me or you but not both. Good Luck.

Return to Cinematography