SLR Magic ND and IEND filters IBC2017

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 5:08 am

Here’s a quick look at 10 new ND 82mm filters from SLR Magic. As well is included a brief look at the IEND1.2 86mm filter which combines four stops of ND with an Image Enhancer to control infrared contamination. From 1 stop to 10 stops with screw-on ND filters has you covered for most any situation. What do you think, Daniel? I hope to add more tests shortly.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

Re: SLR Magic ND and IEND filters IBC2017

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 5:21 am

Another test of the SLR Magic ND 82mm screw-on filters with an emphasis on examination of colour consistency and ND strength. There are variations in lighting due to the light cloud cover once again, but the strength of the ND filtration can vary plus or minus a third of a stop. This really needs to be evaluated in lab/studio conditions. This test ran from about 11:30 am to 12:30 pm. The tests with the SLR Magic ND exhibit remarkable colour consistency as shown by the grey rock faces (lower centre and lower right of the frame). They appear to show some infrared contamination after four of five stops but it’s far from severe especially as the strength increases to 10 stops. The new 4-stop IEND 86mm screw-on is effective controlling infrared wavelengths from 700nm.

For the last few clips, I show the ND filters with my SLR Magic Image Enhancer Pro screw-on filters that I regularly use when shooting with my SLR Magic Variable-ND II filter. The IE Pro does have some colour shift as you can see a warmer colour compared to the prior clips singing the IEND. I like the look of the IE Pro which is flattering on skin tones so it’s another tool in the box. SLR Magic glass intentionally is not pursuing a cool or completely neutral look, but chasing a creamy flattering effect. That is reflected in their cinema lenses and professional filters.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Rick, would be nice to have a 82mm version if the combined 86mm 1.2 ND filter, to use on the Super Speeds. How did you like this filter performance with regards to IR control and overall look?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Denny, the IEND 86mm was specifically designed for two reasons. It's an improved version of the Image Enhancer Pro with very little colour cast on the IEND compared to the IE Pro which does show some warming as my video of the garden illustrates. So the overall look of the IEND is excellent with only a very slight warming. This deserves to become a part of every cinematographer's kit. Especially when you consider the price, $149! 86mm solid build screw-on with ND1.2 and the spectrum shaping of the Image Enhancer plus IR suppression: deal.

But most importantly the IEND is designed to screw on the front of the SLR Magic Vari-ND II 82mm filter. The front of that variable ND has an 86mm thread to prevent vignetting as filters are stacked. And the beauty of doing that is that it extends the maximum reach of the Vari-ND to ten stops while not introducing the X-factor from the double polarizer. I had a client shoot Sunday in which I used the IEND plus the Vari-ND and the results are excellent. I've only half-edited the video, but so far I see no apparent infrared contamination when I shot with the Vari-ND at the Min setting. It was overcast and light rain so I couldn't stop down the Vari-ND further without underexposing my subject.

Having the IEND filter means I don't need my B+W 486MRC 86mm filter unless I'm shooting with even less light and can't manage the 4-stop reduction of the IEND. The B+W cuts around 680nm and I suspect the IEND is going to produce better skin tones suppressing from 700nm.

If anyone wants to add the IEND to the SLR Magic Vari-ND 77mm (which has an 82mm front thread) or to any other thread, unfortunately a step-up ring is required. I need to order one myself to use it with the new SLR Magic ND0.3-3.0 82mm filters in that second video.

In the second video, I only stacked the IEND1.2 with up to the 7 stop ND2.7, just to see what it would look like with a total of 11 stops filtration, but if you ever needed to, you could go higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Daniel Mies

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 10:04 am

Looks very interesting, Rick !

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks Rick, I understand why they went with 86mm, just wish it came in 82mm a,so for us 77mm SLR VND users. Sounds and looks like a nice filter to get !
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 4:55 pm

I did ask about that. The answer was "add the 82-86mm step-up ring." You can imagine there's an extra cost doing the manufacturing of each unique piece. If the 86mm does well, then SLR Magic may feel an 82mm version is appropriate. Right now I'm using the SLR Magic Vari-ND 82mm so it works perfectly. With the Vari-ND 77mm, you are faced with an additional cost but considering the low cost if the IEND1.2, it's not a significant cost to cover. I'm sure it's worth a try.

When you're doing an outdoors event and your light levels are changing from shot to shot sometimes, it's so convenient to add the ability to have that Vari-ND go from 5.1 stops to 10 stops. You really can use that range in very bright conditions where you may also need to cover subjects in the shade as well as the sun beating down on a beach or ski slope.

I really like the individual SLR Magic ND filters for their precision and minimal warm colour cast. But that's when you have the time to change screw-on filters.

When you really are in a hurry, adjusting that arm on the SLR Magic Vari-ND to go from ND1.6 to ND3.0, is a wonderful benefit to maintaining a cinematic look for your subjects with good control of infrared even at higher ND strengths while preserving those skin tones that are all about the image the BMD cameras strive to deliver.

Sunday's shoot was during overcast conditions with light rain and I was still able to work with that minimum ND1.6 strength by adding the IEND1.2 to the Vari-ND Min setting. I shot by changing the aperture from T8 to T5.6 to handle those inevitable fluctuations in illumination and the video looks quite good. Now that I have a better understanding of the behaviour of ISO 1600, I'm used that Sunday to get the depth of field I need since it allows me to stop down the iris without any ill effect on the daytime video with the 4.6K.

As an aside, I've gone back to using the APO T2.1 primes and now shoot exclusively 4.6K 2.4:1 raw 3:1 and loving it. Delivery is going to be 2K widescreen 2048x858 for the clients now from that 4K 2.4:1 capture. Highly recommend that to anyone whose client will accept it. Not going to cut it for HD broadcast, but looks fine for their web delivery.

One more thing: Even going full sensor width 4608x1920 and T5.6-T8 using 50mm APO, I didn't notice any of the original magenta issues in my extreme right side of the frame that plagued my shots last year. In part due to that magenta stripe on the right, I almost always shot 2K 16:9 with the Fujinon Cine Zoom. Don't have to do that now unless I want the extra reach of the zoom. When SLR Magic releases the 135mm APO, I may retire the Fujinon.

Apologies for the long post, but epiphanies tend to lead to verbose proselytizing!

Edit
Corrected my completely embarrassing error on the number of stops when using the IEND with the SLR Magic Vari-ND using the Min setting. I mentioned 4.4 stops or ND4.4; corrected to 5.1 stops and ND1.6! Sorry about that slip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rick.lang on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks Rick. The issue is limited room inside my 4x4 small clamps on matte box I use with the S16 lenses, 86mm is too tight, 82mm was the size the box was designed for. Will re-check it and see.

When you "retire" that Fujon Zoom let me know, I want, "first right of refusal" :roll: he, he...

Also, if you want or need a excellent follow focus for the SLR primes, I have one available, that will work wonderfully on the UM, a Shoot 35 CineFocus V2, (single side, with option to add a shell on the right side),
See: http://www.shoot35.com/category-s/1821.htm
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Very kind of you, Denny. By IBC2018, I think I’ll know if the 135mm will suffice. The convenience of a Zoom is very appealing though when shooting events.

That Shoot 35 is a good follow focus, but I’m using the Chrosziel Fluid Zoom as my follow focus on the APO primes. Not having hard stops isn’t a concern for me so far.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 12:09 pm

I’ve updated both videos posted earlier. Noticing that the second video only has a dozen views, while the first video has been viewed 142 times in comparison, I would encourage you to view the second video as it’s a much better examination of colour cast (by concentrating your attention to the grey-faced rocks lower right) and the control of infrared wavelengths (which can affect the black Manfrotto bag beside the SLR Magic lens case). The red cushion is also interesting to watch for changes when the IEND or IE Pro are present.

The new IEND1.2 filter appears to perform better than the original IE Pro filter I have in terms of both colour consistency and control of infrared.

Both videos updated in post September 20, 2017 and replaced on Vimeo September 21, 2017 The original links now show the updated videos. Thanks for your comments.
Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostSun Jul 29, 2018 12:31 am

Updated the re-edited video for increased clarity. Let me know if you have any comments or questions.

Rick Lang

Ari Stulin

PostFri May 31, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi Rick

This is an older post but wondering if I may ask a question about the SLR VND filter.

Is it possible to mount a filter in between the lens and the SLR filter? I already own a 77mm 3-stop Hoya 77mm Pro 1 Digital ND filter. Could I put this filter on first, and then add the SLR VND filter?

I know they also offer the 86mm Image Enhancer Filter that mount in front of the SLR filter. Is the IE filter more important at those higher stop (6-stop and over) instead of just a regular ND filter.

I guess I'm trying to determine if I need the IE filter or if I can get away with just the SLR VND and my 3-stop ND combination.

rick.lang

PostFri May 31, 2019 4:08 pm

I have various Image Enhance filters. The earliest had a 62mm thread on the first 50mm SLR Magic APO prime. Now I have 82mm and 86mm. And a favourite, the 86mm IEND Pro with a four stop rating on the neutral density filter.

The IE Pro can be used with or without the variable ND filters. It does mildly attenuate infrared but it’s real purpose is altering the spectral distribution of light, particularly from some non-tungsten and non-daylight sources which could be spikey florescent or LED lights so that the light is more like a natural distribution of the intensity of the wavelengths.

You might be able to test if stacking variable and fixed filters if it looks appropriate but I’m using my Vari-ND less with these other ND solutions as I now have every stop covered in circular and rectangular filters.

The IE Pro 82mm can mount in front of the SLM Magic Vari-ND, but it doesn’t reduce light as much as contour light. The IEND Pro 86mm plus the Vari-ND gives you ten stops when you need to add it.

Rick Lang

Brad Hurley

PostFri May 31, 2019 4:35 pm

Rick, I'm curious about this now. When I read the (scant) product descriptions for the Image Enhance filters it appears that they are IR/UV cut filters, but from your experience it sounds like they're more than that, is that right?

I use IR/UV cut filters on all my lenses (I'm using the original BMPCC and the Micro Cinema Camera, both of which need IR cut filters) and whenever I use my SLR Magic variable ND filter I put it on top of the IR/UV cut (I use the IR/UV cut filter from Formatt-Hitech).

Are you saying that the Image Enhance filter is doing something beyond just IR/UV cut?
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

rick.lang

PostFri May 31, 2019 5:27 pm

Correct in that it affects the visible spectrum somehow to give better contour to spikes in intensity in visible light. Very subtle to the eye, but it’s there and reduces infrared as well. Sorry I can’t provide more details.

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography