My new custom case...

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

chris.white

My new custom case...

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 2:05 am

Thought you guys might interested in my recent acquisition....

After picking up a second camera recently (an UMP), I decided that it would be a good idea to invest in a proper case instead of trying to tote around 2 cameras and related goods in a less "sturdy" carrier (I was previously using a Digital Juice large camera bag, which was mostly adequate). I thought about purchasing a case and cutting my own custom foam insert... but then decided that... A) I'll never have the time. B) It probably wouldn't turn out as nice as I'd like and/or I'd probably mess up and require more material. C) It likely wouldn't be a whole lot cheaper than having someone else do it... that actually knows what they're doing and has the proper stuff to do it.

After looking around online a bit, and messing with their online app I settled on mycasebuilder.com. The app is pretty impressive, and relatively easy to use (granted, I come from a design background and use similar apps on a daily basis).

After deciding what I'd want to carry in there, and roughly measuring things out, I decided on a case that would be a sufficient size (but not too large). I ended up gong with a Pelican Storm iM2875. I then used my UMP as the template for the camera cutouts. I traced around the camera, then (after a few rounds of tweaking) took a photo of my tracing and loaded it into their app. Once in the app, I traced that out and plugged in the depth dimensions I had measured. After I had the cameras plotted out, I measured out and created compartments for the rest of the stuff in the remaining space around the camera slots.

I was a bit nervous about some of my measurements (particularly for the cameras) so I ended up paying for their "Fail safe" option, which allows you to send (you pay shipping) it back to be "adjusted" as necessary if things don't fit properly. Well, I received it today ( only 2 weeks... they said it would be 3-4) and I'm happy to report, all was good. In fact, the UMP fits *perfectly" with the EVF (I created it to accommodate the cam without the shoulder/tripod mount base attached). Since I used the UMP as the template, my UM4.6 has a little bit of play, but when the lid is closed, the foam in the lid seems to hold it firmly (I let the handles protrude from the base foam about ~1/4" for this reason).

Besides the 2 cams, it also has space for the base plates w/15mm rods, 2 power blocks, a couple compartments for random stuff, 4 SD card slots, and a larger "catch all" compartment that also holds the 2 control handles with the extension arms, random cables, and 2 Sigma 18-35s.

I'm super happy with how it turned out. If any one else is interested in any specifics, let me know. I think I can even share the design publicly via their app if anyone wants it.

Here's a pic...
IMG_5250.jpg
IMG_5250.jpg (585.75 KiB) Viewed 2390 times

---
Chris

Demetrius Spencer

Re: My new custom case...

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 1:24 pm

Case looks great Chris. Yes, please share the specs and info. How much did the build end up costing you?

Spencer

chris.white

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 6:08 pm

Demetrius Spencer wrote:Case looks great Chris. Yes, please share the specs and info. How much did the build end up costing you?

Spencer

Hey Spencer,

The total (with the "fail safe" option, which was $12 and the shipping) came out to $449. This also includes a 5% off coupon that they gave me when I inquired whether they had any current discount offers. Their pricing on the Pelican Storm iM2875 case itself seemed inline with most everywhere else I checked. So, I guess it was ~$200 for the custom foam.

Seems expensive (for foam), I know... but the finished product is excellent. The case foam is PE foam... a more dense foam, not the squishy stuff... though the lid does use ester foam, which is still fairly dense, but more squishy. The quality and time savings (plus not having to get the material or tools to do it) made it worth it for me.

Here's a link with all the case specifics from the Pelican site...
http://www.pelican.com/us/en/pro/produc ... se/iM2875/

What else would you like to know?
---
Chris

Demetrius Spencer

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 11:41 pm

Thanks Chris!

Tristan Pemberton

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 6:42 am

Hey Chris, did you add your camera to their image library?
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

chris.white

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Tristan Pemberton wrote:Hey Chris, did you add your camera to their image library?

Hey Tristan,

I did not, initially (since I wanted to make sure it was correct first). I just logged in to see if I could do it now, but it appears that I can't save any pre-existing shapes to the public library now. Apparently a shortcoming or oversight of the app. I'll contact them to see if there's anyway to change this.

I can, however, share the full design to individuals if I have an email address. If you want to PM your email, I'd be happy to to do so.
---
Chris

chris.white

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 4:23 pm

UPDATE: I contacted to folks at mycasebuilder and they said they'd work on adding the UMP shape to their public library. If they update me to let me know it's there, I'll let you guys know.
---
Chris

chris.white

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Here are a few more pics of the inside...
IMG_5254.jpg
IMG_5254.jpg (642.21 KiB) Viewed 2086 times

IMG_5257.jpg
IMG_5257.jpg (609.17 KiB) Viewed 2086 times

IMG_5255.jpg
IMG_5255.jpg (605.04 KiB) Viewed 2086 times

---
c

Nick Gombinsky

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 11:19 pm

I wish there was something like mycasebuilder in my country... it would be so easy to have every case in order with custom foam.

I found a local store that can do a custom job in a week but it costs a ton. Not really complaining, this is something where we shouldn't go cheap on.

Here is my custom cut for a UM46 with shoulder kit, Cineroid Retina EVF, 3 V-mounts & charger, cards & reader, and smallrig left handgrip.

WhatsApp Image 2017-07-13 at 17.20.56.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-07-13 at 17.20.56.jpeg (210.01 KiB) Viewed 2069 times

Mattias Kristiansson

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 5:35 pm

Nick Gombinsky: You could get "Trek Pak" for your preferred Pelicase - in my opinion a better option, as foam, even if custom cut, wastes a lot of space.

Tommaso Alvisi

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 6:35 am

I agree 100% Mattias!

But only if the cases are properly handled by you or trusted people.

If not (relatively thick) foam is the only way to go imho...

Return to Cinematography