advise needed on shooting UM4.6k w/paralinx ace

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Eli hershko

advise needed on shooting UM4.6k w/paralinx ace

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi guys,
So i am shooing an experimental feature film in a month. Will be shot on UM4.6k with DIY anamorphic lenses. It will be shot completely handheld and I am opting for an AC/focus puller which means I will need a wireless monitoring system for the puller. Mostly we will not be in eyeline with the camera but around sheetrock walls interior shots not further then 50-80 feet from the camera at any given point.
I never worked with wireless systems so No experience on which system to go here... I have a great deal on renting paralinx Ace but I am not sure if it will be up for the task or not. Anyone out there that worked with Ace at similar condition I describe here that can give some practical advise?

Thanks in advance.

Eli.
Eli Hershko
http://www.conjuredvisions.com
http://pro.imdb.com/name/nm2860666/

Robert DelTour

Re: advise needed on shooting UM4.6k w/paralinx ace

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 8:18 pm

I have not working with the ACE system in particular, but I did a lot of work in VTR, and my number one recommendation for you is to put the receiver as close to the transmitter as possible, and do a cable run from there. For instance, if you are in a 10'x10' room, and you'll see the entire room, put the receiver on a stand right outside the door, and do your BNC run to the monitor from there. That will give you the cleanest signal without compromising your operator's freedom.

Thomas Hennessy

Re: advise needed on shooting UM4.6k w/paralinx ace

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 1:23 am

I own an ACE, it's a decent setup, but it definitely prefers line of sight, it can go through a door or wall on occasion, but you will have much better results having the transmitter and receiver being able to "see" each other.

I'd recommend renting one for a day and experimenting with it if you're unsure.

Return to Cinematography