BMCC and lens mount

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter Klementowski

BMCC and lens mount

PostFri Oct 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi
I am amateur cinematographer and I would like to buy a good quality camera. Currently I have Canon 70d which has awesome autofocus but I noticed a vertical stripes when I shoot in low ISO in low light condition. Color grading it is nice and the image is decent however this low ISO issue makes me sad each time I have captured something cool and I can see that.
I made some investigation and I think I want to buy BMCC. I know this is 2017 but 4k, global shutters etc are not my priorities. I just want to have it in RAW. Currently BMCC on ebay costs around $900 in decent shape second hand. I think I cannot buy anything better for this price.

I have few lenses for canon mount:
1) Canon 10-18mm 5.6 EF-S
2) Canon EF 35mm f/2
3) Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
4) Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 II IS STM
5) Canon 18-55mm EF-S kit lens

I don't want to sell them because I will still have my 70d for pictures and for short trip movies.

What I can read on the Internet everyone prefers to have MTF mount over EF. MTF is fully manual, is rather generic and what is special with it? I can install MTF adapter to EF mount and have the same result, right? Fully manual socket if I would buy a non EF socket lens.
But having EF mount I have possibility to use IS, set aperture in the camera (my lenses don't have manual rings to set aperture). So it looks like EF is better than MTF because I can make my camera MTF installing adapter but I can make full feature EF installing EF adapter.
Is it only about speedbooster, to install it on MFT to decrease crop factor?

Denny Smith

Re: BMCC and lens mount

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 2:06 am

The BMCC has a smaller sensor than a Canon DSLR, slightly smaller than MFT format, so going with a MFT mount allow the use of a Metabones EF BMCC Speed Booster which will give a better anglenmof view at a given focal,length than using the lenses directly on a EF mount BMCC. That said, the Speed Booster is $500-600 additional cost, and requires external power froma USB 5VDC connection.

Since you have nice EF lenses, going with the BMCC EF mount would give you full auto focus, lens control from the camera touch screen and power for the IS. Your 19-18mm Zoom will give you widebyo normal FOV in the BMCC EF mount without the SB.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Peter Klementowski

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 2:34 am

Thanks for reply Denny.

If I will attach MTF adapter to EF mount I will have MRT socket so I would be able to mount speed booster and then EF lens ? So EF -> MTF -> SB -> EF lens :D Am I loosing something here? Is it possible? If so why people don't pick additional feature with EF electronics? Or it is impossible because this setup will be just too long, I mean distance for light would be just too long/narrow?

Denny Smith

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 5:32 pm

No, you can not do that. The Speed Booster only works with the MFT Mount version of the Cinema Camera, not the EF version. The MCT mount FFD is much shorter than the EF mount, so mounting a MFT adapter to the EF mount is not possible. Given the low price of BMCCs you could get one of each, a MFT mount and the EF mount. Or skip the BMCC and get a used UM4.6 EF, which will give you a bigger sensor, and still shoot a 2K window when you want smaller files.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Peter Klementowski

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 10:14 pm

Thanks for all tips. I already bought BMCC EF mount. Camera + 2 batteries + 250GB disk + 1 cheap lens for $1k which is a good price I think. Why EF? Well, because I have few lenses. Second thing I am new in cinematography. I know basics, how to exposure, how to color it and edit. At least as an amateur. When I will gain a skill and I will have some more 'pro' productions then I will buy mini ursa or something on the same level. If I won't fall into cinematography deep enough and I wont have enough fun I will just sell it with no much loss of value.

SarahChana

PostSun Oct 22, 2017 5:56 am

Peter Klementowski wrote:Thanks for all tips. I already bought BMCC EF mount. Camera + 2 batteries + 250GB disk + 1 cheap lens for $1k which is a good price I think. Why EF? Well, because I have few lenses. Second thing I am new in cinematography. I know basics, how to exposure, how to color it and edit. At least as an amateur. When I will gain a skill and I will have some more 'pro' productions then I will buy mini ursa or something on the same level. If I won't fall into cinematography deep enough and I wont have enough fun I will just sell it with no much loss of value.

Had mine since it came out and I’m still happy. I don’t do much, but when I need to it delivers exactly what I need. If you’re shooting RAW you might want a bigger SSD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography