180 or Flicker Free? (Mini Pro)

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

James McDonagh

180 or Flicker Free? (Mini Pro)

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 2:51 pm

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding shutter angle. I understand that a shutter angle of 180 degrees is standard practice, but would it not make more sense for users of the URSA Mini Pro to select the recommended shutter angle on the bottom of the heads up display which is closest to 180 degrees? An example would be 172.5 (obviously this number will vary depending on the other settings). Surely the difference between the two speeds would be so small that it would be better to pick this in order to gaurantee no flicker in the image?

What are other URSA Mini Pro users opinions on this? Do you use 180 or recommended shutter speeds?

Also on another note: I understand that the shutter speed will affect motion blur, but is there an optimal shutter speed for reducing that unpleasant judder affect when panning and moving a camera such as the URSA Mini Pro's which has a rolling shutter as opposed to a global one. I talking about 24 frames per second footage here specifically.

rick.lang

Re: 180 or Flicker Free? (Mini Pro)

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 4:49 pm

You always select the shutter angle that gives you flicker free clips and that depends on the region you are in (NTSC versus PAL/SECAM) and your current power cycle such as 60 or 50 cycles per second alternating current that affects your lighting. Often that means 180 degrees in NTSC and 172.8 degrees for PAL for normal blur.

If you want to reduce judder a larger shutter angle may help but panning slower might be the better way to go assuming you are using a camera with a rolling shutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

James McDonagh

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 6:10 pm

rick.lang wrote:You always select the shutter angle that gives you flicker free clips and that depends on the region you are in (NTSC versus PAL/SECAM) and your current power cycle such as 60 or 50 cycles per second alternating current that affects your lighting. Often that means 180 degrees in NTSC and 172.8 degrees for PAL for normal blur.

If you want to reduce judder a larger shutter angle may help but panning slower might be the better way to go assuming you are using a camera with a rolling shutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Rick. Helpful as always.

thalen

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 7:20 am

Good tips and trick. I will give this a try.

Return to Cinematography