Genlocking the New Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sean Varney

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 1:58 am

Can you gen lock the new New Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K?
Its that simple, if so can you do v blue tooth or is it cable only from, BMD crystal clock box etc.

Really need to know ASAP.

Thanks

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: Genlocking the New Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K?

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 5:24 am

Unfortunately, there is no genlock. Could it be done via Bluetooth or USB-C? Perhaps but it’s something that will need to be looked into.

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 5:43 am

Genlock is an analog syncing scheme, and does not work with digital inputs. The new Pocket camera lacks an analog genlock input, which is normally used on Broadcast Cameras to get glitch free switching.
However, the new Pocket 4K does take a time code jam input or LTC sync signal via its audio line input jack.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Sean Varney

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 9:04 am

Denny Smith wrote:Genlock is an analog syncing scheme, and does not work with digital inputs. The new Pocket camera lacks an analog genlock input, which is normally used on Broadcast Cameras to get glitch free switching.
However, the new Pocket 4K does take a time code jam input or LTC sync signal via its audio line input jack.
Cheers

SO I have built a 4 Cam Gen lock system using
The black magic Design Micro 4K studio cams, 4 mini Hyperdecks, an 4k Studio ATEM, SDI splitter box and a Synic signal box, 2 4k video assists and a load of SDI cables. ALL black magic kit
That's because SDI supports the analogy synic, yes.

So under the hood, is there hacked to do this, is there analog signal on the board, say hidden
as you reused underlying tech etc.

I really need true Genlock not timestamp syncing.
I can get timestamp in with a stand alone unit.I would have to do tests to see if this drafts it at all over the time frame needed.

There must be a way to do this, seem crazy to not have it in, who do you expect anyone to do a 3D shoot with two cams if its not there.

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Very nice, the Micro Studio was built with GenLock feature available, since it is in BM’s Broadcast lineup, and includes the analog input needed for GenLock.

The original Pocket camera and the new Pocket 4K were made as small run and gun type cameras, to be used on their own. So no provision is made for Genlock, and the cameras only have digital HDMI output, no inputs. Most users of this type of camera usually only need TC in and out, which is privilege. Even the Panny GH5S only has TC in and out also. Your application is very unique, and has limited market interest.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 4:00 pm

Chance forgotten... for 3d stereo rig...

in past SI2k was the perfect camera for stereo 3d :

- small s16 sensor
- recording out between lan cable a raw file (cineformRaw)
- Light camera to put in couple on stereorig, on jib, steadycam and more
- easy to rig because is big like a sigarette box
- from Computer you can manage and control everythings.
- trilevel sinc genlock be cause to do a good stereo motion shooting you need to sinc al pixel level.
Next time for BMD cinema camera.

Denny Smith

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 5:08 pm

Carlo, you can have the same setup with a Micro Studio Camera 3-D setup, all the same features, in yet a smaller package than the S12k. The Micro Studio can be controlled via Resolve CCU or third party standalone controllers, like Kim’s new control box, and it and the Micro Cinema camera both have TriLevel Sync Genlock capability, and are a S16 sensor. The Micro Studio gives you UHD to an external recorder via SDI, and the Micro Cinema can do full HD, internally recorded or feed an external recorder via HDMI. Full remote operation available on both via the SBus controllers.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri May 04, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

carlomacchiavello

PostFri May 04, 2018 12:27 pm

Greta i miss it :-)

Inviato dal mio E6653 utilizzando Tapatalk

David Peterson

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 7:57 am

Kristian Lam wrote:Unfortunately, there is no genlock. Could it be done via Bluetooth or USB-C? Perhaps but it’s something that will need to be looked into.

You should hit up the great guys at Tentacle and see if you can work with them?

Because their new Tentacle Sync E does communication via Bluetooth, so maybe BMPCC4K could stay in touch via that for TC?

However, if you specifically want to get genlock then the Ultrasync ONE is the one you need to work with.

http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/
https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding
Location Sound Recordist, in Auckland New Zealand.

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Very entertaining videos chock full of information. I haven’t used Timecode sync since I only have one camera, but hopefully that situation will end very soon. But when I did my research previously, I also preferred the Ultrasync One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Ron Aerts

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 10:43 am

Denny Smith wrote:Genlock is an analog syncing scheme, and does not work with digital inputs. The new Pocket camera lacks an analog genlock input, which is normally used on Broadcast Cameras to get glitch free switching.
Cheers

Hi, does this mean that the time code will be embedded in the file as (meta)data or is it just an audio signal on the audio track(s)
Will the internal microphone still work then and write setaudio to the audio tracks?
Strongbox W10 64/dual Xeon 2,6M/48-core/64Gb/dual GTX2080Ti/Fairlight Audio Accelerator

Denny Smith

PostThu Mar 07, 2019 7:24 pm

From what I understand p, if you sekect external TC on the camera, TC from the external source is embedded in the metadata.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography