Pocket Cinema Camera 4k footage?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Phillip Bergman

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 5:08 am

So do we think we're gonna get any test footage from this camera before it launches? We're only a month and half out from launch (hopefully)....

rick.lang

Re: Pocket Cinema Camera 4k footage?

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 5:40 am

Yes, but it be two months away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Gene Kochanowsky

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 12:46 am

Is the date creeping already?

Denny Smith

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 12:49 am

No, it is just Rick’s theory that footage will not be available until after thr camera release, when it gets used and footage posted. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 3:30 am

Just a guess of course, but I’m expecting footage mid-September. The camera is thought to be released in September so I think my prediction has a chance! Like everyone else, I hope I’m wrong and it’s sooner than later.

Rick Lang

Ryan Payne

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 3:41 am

Would be really interesting to know what part of production it's at. Be it refining the image or form factor I wouldn't really mind at all if it was late so long as I'm kept in the loop. Would always rather wait an extra month for a better product than forever have a subpar one.

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 3:48 am

There are a few trade shows in September so it’s going to appear at one of them with a status of “shipping now.” Keep the faith, Ryan. Sometimes faith is all we have to keep us strong.

Rick Lang

Chris Chiasson

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 3:17 pm

I do find it concerning that there’s no footage yet. The camera is gonna launch “supposedly” within two months (unless Blackmagic delays it till next year), so they should be able to release footage for it by now. Because not showing footage suggests there’s a problem somewhere. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t preordered the camera yet. I wanna see what problems people run into first before buying.

michaeldhead

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 3:37 pm

At the NAB announcement, Grant Petty said that the hardware (except for the final body materials) is finalized. I suspect they are continuing to tweak the firmware for image quality, and I, for one, am ok with that - I'd prefer to see images from the final firmware as opposed to half-done images.

I know there have been a LOT of preorders (I'm one of them), probably beyond what BMD was expecting. I imagine they don't want to put out footage that won't match the final production image quality that might cause people to cancel their preorders. I know there have been production problems in the past, but BMD seems to have worked those out (although lemons happen). I think it's going to be a great camera, but I will be doing a lot of tests when it comes out, too. Trust, but verify.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Daniel Bănică

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 4:58 pm

We should also be optimistic. What is going to be if the image quality is even far better than anyone would have imagined?

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 am

Well some other camera vendors, using the same sensor and coming up short on the images compared to the Pocket4K, will not be pleased.

Rick Lang

Sean van Berlo

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 6:49 am

Releasing footage ahead of a camera's launch also isn't that common. Some manufacturers do it but most (including Panasonic, Sony, Canon) just drop the camera and let people review the footage by themselves.

Ryan Payne

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 8:16 am

Sean van Berlo wrote:Releasing footage ahead of a camera's launch also isn't that common. Some manufacturers do it but most (including Panasonic, Sony, Canon) just drop the camera and let people review the footage by themselves.

Generally they put out some shorts made by popular online DP's along with the release of their cameras though. It was fun to find info on the 'secret' shoots they'd have or accidentally post a pic on instagram of part of the GH5S.

I wonder who here is under NDA but is actually shooting/ already shot a nice short.

Denny Smith

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 4:56 pm

BM knows :!:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography