Hot air - filming advice?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Stephen Grubb

Hot air - filming advice?

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 11:26 am

I'm filming a series of short videos for a major world sporting event, and as part of this project, my producer is keen we film a hot air balloon and it's passengers from the air. The shot/s require, that as well as a wide shot of the balloon, I'd need a relative CU of the basket so the pilot or passenger can be seen holding up a relevant score card which can be read. In order to circumnavigate understandably very strict and costly rules and regulations regarding aerial filming using say a helicopter or drones etc around hot air balloons, we are looking into the possibility of filming from another ballon. This obviously would come with many challenges not least being in a correct position, but I wanted to ask what lens for the URSA Mini EF 4.6k people might suggest I look at hiring for such a task and if anyone has any experience in or filming from a hot air balloon I'd appreciate any advice?

Thanks.

Brad Hurley

Re: Hot air - filming advice?

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 11:44 am

Wow, that's an interesting challenge!

I've never filmed from a balloon but I've taken photos from one, and the main thing I'd observe is that while in the balloon you typically have no sense of movement, even in a strong breeze, unless you look down and see the landscape moving under you. It's a very stable environment in the basket. A good pilot should be able to keep your balloon at a safe but close-enough distance (and consistent altitude) for you to get your video, but you'd have to consult with pilots to find out what that distance is, which in turn will help you figure out how much reach you need from your lens. I don't think they can fly very close to each other; the risks are too high.

I don't know if you're recording any sound as well, but be aware that the gas jets used to fill the balloon with hot air (and used periodically in flight to maintain or increase altitude) are really loud.

My experience in a balloon was a long time ago (late 1980s) when I volunteered for a week at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. They probably have guidelines for safe distances, since so many balloons are flying at once.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Stephen Grubb

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 11:55 am

Brad Hurley wrote:Wow, that's an interesting challenge!

Many thanks for your insight Brad. Really useful to know. We will certainly be consulting with the pilots to see what might be achievable.

Brad Hurley

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Albuquerque.jpeg
Albuquerque.jpeg (519.21 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

FYI, I dug up a photo I took from a balloon at the Albuquerque fiesta in 1986, which gives you some sense of the possibilities in terms of distance. The other thing I'd observe is that most balloonists prefer to fly in the mornings (our days at the fiesta started at 4am); things tend to get progressively more dangerous as the day goes on, thermals develop, weather becomes less stable, winds pick up, etc.) so you have to take that into consideration. Evenings can work too. Much depends on where you're doing the filming and what time of year...

Denny Smith

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 4:54 pm

If you do not need the balloons in “free flight”but just up in the air, you could tether them with a cable to the ground to keep them in a fixed position. Shooting from one balloon to the next, yiu can not tell the difference. My first shooting from a balloon experience, was from a tethered balloon. Having shot often from a helicopter, I would choose a balloon over the chopper any day, if the situation allow using a balloon.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Stephen Grubb

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 11:18 am

Denny Smith wrote:If you do not need the balloons in “free flight”but just up in the air, .....

Thanks Denny, that’s a good idea for the close up. We’d be more in control. I do think the shot might have more visual impact with the basket moving across the horizon - if I can get a nice smooth and readable take that is, but always good to have a back up plan when entering into unknown territory methinks. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad Hurley

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Stephen Grubb wrote: if I can get a nice smooth and readable take that is

I don't think that'll be a problem -- the main thing I remember about my balloon trip (apart from being a little concerned when we reached 10,000 feet and flew over an airport, watching airplanes take off and land beneath us) was how calm and stable everything was in the basket: it's like flying in a steadicam. At one point we entered into a slipstream with a strong blast of wind that temporarily pushed in one side of the balloon, but I never would have known if the pilot hadn't pointed up to the balloon to show me what was happening.

Denny Smith

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Yes, hot air balloons are the best aerial camera platform, nice and steady, very smooth movements.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 5:03 pm

You just need to have an amazing producer to ensure that they order the right weather and wind direction on shooting day :mrgreen:
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Denny Smith

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 5:09 pm

Ah, yes, that too. I wound up in a fenced pasture with a Bull, on a chicken farm, on my last balloon shoot, as the wind came up and started taking us towards San Francisco. We launched on the north side of Napa Valley.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brad Hurley

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 5:33 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Ah, yes, that too. I wound up in a fenced pasture with a Bull, on a chicken farm, on my last balloon shoot, as the wind came up and started taking us towards San Francisco. We launched on the north side of Napa Valley.
Cheers

Haha -- on my balloon ride, everything was super smooth until we were coming in for a landing and the pilot said "oops, I didn't see that little hill, brace yourself!" We banged into the side of a small hill and bounced down the other side, eventually coming to a stop about 30 feet from the chase vehicle.

I don't know if they still follow this tradition (or if they do it in the UK at all), but after my first balloon flight the pilot made me kneel down on the ground while he crumbled a handful of dirt into my hair, and then poured a glass of champagne over it. He said it was a longstanding initiation rite.

Denny Smith

PostMon Jul 23, 2018 5:37 pm

No, we just drank a glass of nice red wine when landed, did not waste any... :lol:
We did a coin toss, to see who got out to run across the pasture with the bull in it, to get to a phone, no cell phone signal was available to contact the chase vehicle, which too 30 minutes to arrive after calling them.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography