Blackmagic URSA mini Pro on a DJI Ronin-S gimbal!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Robert Tomassi

Blackmagic URSA mini Pro on a DJI Ronin-S gimbal!

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 10:46 pm

So I want to try to put the Blackmagic URSA Pro on a Ronin-S gimbal for some short shots. The Ronin-S has a weight capacity of about 7.93 lbs. and the URSA Pro body has a weight of about 4.6 lbs. without the handle.

I have found this tiny 50wh battery: http://www.hawkwoods.co.uk/Prods/Product/VL-M50 and have a standard Blackmagic v-lok plate for the URSA Pro both of those together come to about 1.3 lbs.

For the lens I'm thinking this little guy in EF: https://kenrockwell.com/voigtlander/40mm-f2.htm that weighs about 0.4 lbs.

So that's:

4.6 + 1.3 + 0.4 = 6.3 lbs.

Can I do it!?

Will the URSA pro be powered by the 50wh battery? As long it powers it for about 30 minutes I should be fine. I'm not concerned with long takes here.

Any thoughts to this madness would be appreciated.

Jamie LeJeune

Re: Blackmagic URSA mini Pro on a DJI Ronin-S gimbal!

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 6:17 am

With the UMP on the Ronin S you'll be holding and trying to control more than 10 pounds of top heavy weight using a single arm out in front of your body. Perhaps you are superhero strong, but that will be really tough for an average mortal to do for any useful length of time.

I've got a Movi M15 and even though the Movi itself is light and offers handles to hold it with both arms, the Ursa Mini Pro really is just too much weight to carry easily.

You might look into getting a used Letus Helix. I've used the Helix junior with the BMPCC and it worked really well. The compact size and ability to set it on the ground are advantages to the Helix over a Movi.

If you do end up putting an Ursa Mini Pro on Ronin-S, please do let us know how it goes.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Robert Tomassi

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 10:45 am

You can two hand the Ronin-S pretty easily with the the tripod that acts as an extended grip. The entire weight will be just over ten pounds with the gimbal so I think it will be fine for short shots.

And I actually finally found a video confirming it works:

I'll just be using a small lens and a small battery instead.

John Paines

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 12:45 pm

That video doesn't confirm anything, unless "works" means mounting the camera on the gimbal and taking a picture of it.

Whether you use one hand or two, it's still going to be exhausting, even assuming the gimbal can actually handle that much weight. Of course, if you're not worried about technique, you could probably carry it around for a while without too much trouble.

Robert Tomassi

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 7:38 pm

Well it's a video not a picture and if you look at how you have to balance a camera on the Ronin-S it will show that if the camera is unbalanced at all then it will just tilt over and not stay straight across like it shows in the video:

My friend and I years ago used to use a Panasonic DVX100 and a Steadycam which together weight almost 11 lbs and we got some great stuff with it. The weight sucked but again we won't be shooting all day with it. Small takes here and there only.

I'm not sure what you meant by "technique" specifically but if you mean the way my shots look then yes of course I'm very concerned with how my shots look, what URSA mini Pro owner wouldn't be.

John Paines

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 7:57 pm

I gather you've never actually used a gimbal? You can "balance" any camera on a single axis, as on the horizontal in the ursa "video". The trick is getting balance on all of them. If the ursa mini was *actually* balanced, that guy didn't show it -- a strange omission. Almost as strange as not showing any footage.

What I mean by "technique" is, knowing how to control body motion to get smooths shots that aren't bouncing all over the place. If you expect some kind of automatic excellence with a gimbal, dream on.

Robert Tomassi

PostSat Jul 21, 2018 8:54 pm

Okay thanks for the feedback, it won't hurt to try though so I will. I don't expect automatic anything, some things take time and lots of effort before they're right.

What about a 50wh battery on the URSA Pro? Can anyone tell me about how many minutes I would get? I read that a 98wh gets around 3 hours, at least I think that's right. This the only battery on earth that will allow any smaller gimbal with this camera. If not I'd have to detach the batter which I'd rather not do.

Keith Babineaux

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 12:11 am

Robert Tomassi wrote:Okay thanks for the feedback, it won't hurt to try though so I will. I don't expect automatic anything, some things take time and lots of effort before they're right.

What about a 50wh battery on the URSA Pro? Can anyone tell me about how many minutes I would get? I read that a 98wh gets around 3 hours, at least I think that's right. This the only battery on earth that will allow any smaller gimbal with this camera. If not I'd have to detach the batter which I'd rather not do.

98wh is about 2 1/2 hours.
Keith Babineaux | Film Graduate | Full Sail University

Robert Tomassi

PostSun Jul 22, 2018 11:02 am

Keith Babineaux wrote:98wh is about 2 1/2 hours.

Okay so I should get around an hour with the 50wh, that's pretty good.

JefkeM

PostFri Mar 15, 2019 10:57 am

So. Did it work? Online I can only find the video you early posted above..

Benton Collins

PostSat Mar 16, 2019 5:30 am

I want to do the same thing with my UM4.6 on my Moza Air 2 (9lbs. payload). In addition to a lightweight prime lens, (probably a Nikon 28mm AIS) I was thinking of cutting the weight down down from a camera mounted battery by using a power cable from a belt mounted battery. That should shave some weight off the load as long as the power cable doesn't interfere. To further reduce the weight strain, I'm going to use a 4th axis stabilizer and run dual lines in a trapeze configuration from an EZ Rig to the handles. Hope to start on that next week.

Return to Cinematography