SSD Issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

flyingduck

SSD Issue

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 8:20 am

Hi guys,

I have purchased the official SSD Recorder with the Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro. Both the SSD and Ursa have up to date firmware.

Firstly, when I plug in the battery (IDX Duo - C190) the SSD Adapter lights up and stays lit up (orange) regardless of whether the camera is switched on or off. Is this normal? Does it not cause a slow drain on the battery when the camera is switched off?

Secondly, I'm using 1TB Sandisk Ultra 3D SSD drives. These are from the approved list I found on the BM website. However, when I switch the camera off and on again it often cannot read them. The light stays orange on the SSD and the problem is usually fixed by taking the battery off and putting it back on.

Is this normal?

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

Re: SSD Issue

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 12:08 am

The orange light coming on is not expected behaviour.
We have also tried to recreate that issue with that SSD and have not been able to.

What type of battery plate are you using on the back of the camera?

What version of software are the camera and the SSD recorder reporting when you are plugged into our Camera Utility 5.1.1?

flyingduck

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:14 am

Thanks for your reply. I am using the official URSA V Lock Battery Plate. I have plugged both the SSD and the camera into Camera Utility 5.1.1 and they are both running the latest versions of their respective firmware.

It seems to record well. I just don't like the fact it is not always recognizable and stays on even when the camera is switched off.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 4:21 am

Was the SSD formatted in the URSA Mini SSD Recorder using the camera before use?

lionmountainpictures

PostMon Oct 30, 2023 2:15 am

Hi.

I've got an Ursa mini 4.6k and just connected an SSD recorder to it but the orange light stays on for the SDI and there's no light on for the SSD. I've tried disconnecting the cables and reconnecting but no change.

The recorder I bought had an Anton Bauer battery plate on which I swapped for the Blackmagic V lock one that came on the camera. I noticed the fuse on the Anton Bauer plate had blown. Could this have been caused by the SSD recorder malfunctioning? If so, is there anywhere in the UK I could get it fixed please?

Robert721

Mini-Recorder issue

PostSat Dec 23, 2023 5:06 pm

I installed the M/R and it powers up fine sees the ssd. It formatted the ssd fine.

The problem is recording.

I can trigger the camera to record from the lens or the left side record but when pressed again the record stops but the lcd display, tally, vf display, mini-recorder all stay red. The time display stops. It will not trigger to start recording. The only way to exit is to power off the camera.

I am just recording in H264 for testing. the same thing happens BRAW. I have tried several ssd's. WD and Seagate. These worked fine with a third party CFast to SSD converted. They actually captured BRAW 3:1 and Q0 settings.

Update:

I went and purchased two Samsung EVO 870 2 Tb drives, which are on the list of approved SSD's. The issues happens when triggering record from the LCD, lens and the record button on the camera. I order a new USB cable from Kondor Blue in order to continue trouble shooting.
BMDPCC 6k Pro
Ursa Broadcast G2

Win 10 pro
Ryzen 9 5950x
ASUS PROART X570-CREATOR
Dual Zotac GeForce Rtx 2080Ti

Return to Cinematography