New Leica lens is a perfect addition to the BMPC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Valentin Remy

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 12:25 pm

New Leica 10-25 1.7 !

Seems like a must have to me ! Just like the Sigma 18-35 is to APSC/Super 35.
Seeing Leica worries me for the price but wait and see !
http://www.instagram.com/valentinremy.be/

Denny Smith

Re: New Leica lens is a perfect addition to the BMPC4K

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 5:13 pm

It is a Panasonic Leica, so it should be under $2K. While not quite a Cine zoom, it seems it is an interesting set of Primes in one lens, 10, 12, 14, 17.5 and 25mm — giving you an UWA, several WA and a Normal focal length. But the question remains is it both a set of Primes and a cine parfocal zoom?

The previous PL zoom, the 12-60 f/2.8-4 is $995.
While not a true zoom, I think this is going to be my go to lens on the new Pocket 4K, replacing my Veydra Prime set.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 pm

Oh boy, and I’ve already paid for the Tokina Cinema ATX 11-20 T2.9 PL well over $2K.

Edit
STOP TEASING ME BOYS!

“Unlike most zoom lenses that will shoot at every focal length within the zoom range, the 10-25mm lens is the equivalent of five prime lenses in one. By using only five focal lengths within that zoom range, Panasonic says the lens is able to maintain maximum image quality. The zoom will cover the 35mm equivalent of a 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, and 50mm.”

So count me out. It’s a cute idea but not interested. It’s a stills photo lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 10:35 pm

Yes Rick, while perhaps not a “real Zoom” but it is a nice set of five prime lenses, in one package, for quick shooting. The news release is calling it a, “photo/video-hybrid digital interchangeable lens.” But also calls is a wide angel “Zoom” from 10-25mm, so the big question for me is it both, and is it parfocal?

I think the Tokina 11-20 you have on order Rick, is going to be the better of the two lenses, as you can use it on your Ursa Mini and the new Pocket camera, while the PL 10-25 is only going to work on the Pocket 4K Cameras as well as other MFT Cameras, like the Micros and GH5/S.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 11:48 pm

This lens gives new meaning to the term, variable prime. I admit it’s great and all that to have five focal lengths in one package. As for parfocal, I hope it is but I think it’s more a stills lens than a cinema lens and it may not be parfocal if it’s priced low. I haven’t visited Panasonic’s site to read about it yet. If you don’t find the word parfocal on their webpages or press release, there’s a reason for that.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 2:49 am

No the release said,it was a hybrid photo/video zoom lens. But again, Panasonic in its release on the aPL 12-60 didn’t say it was parfocal either, but it is, at least the copy I received is parfocal. We might have to wait until it is released to find out.

As for cost, the PL 12-60was listed at $997.99, now it is on sale for $200 less. I got mine for around $750 slightly used. So I think the new 10-20 Zoom will be around $1500-2K, based on the price for the fast 12mm and 42.5, which was around $1600, and the 8-18 WA Zoom was $1100.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

michaeldhead

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Does anyone know if the lens extends to change focal lengths, or does the overall size of the lens stay the same? As in, could it be mounted in a matte box and change focal lengths without resetting the matte box?
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

rick.lang

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 7:38 pm

I wasted over 40 minutes of my life watching the Panasonic presentation at Photokina 2018. No more detail than the two sentences we already know about the 10-25mm f/1.7 variable prime.

But I did learn they’re bringing new 8K things to Photokina 2020!

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 1:06 am

michaeldhead wrote:Does anyone know if the lens extends to change focal lengths, or does the overall size of the lens stay the same? As in, could it be mounted in a matte box and change focal lengths without resetting the matte box?

My guess looking at rhe lens design, is it will. All the previous PL Zooms extend, going back to the original PL FT 14-50 f/2.8-3.5, which was also a variable prime lens, as it’s breathing was not well controlled, and the zoom was not parfocal. But set it to a given focal length, focus and it worked well. Still using this lens In the studio on a Micro Studio B Cam.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 3:32 am

I think I was being too hard on the Panasonic video of their live event at Photokina 2018. But I’m just showing some crankiness at all the photography companies, whether they be camera or lens manufacturers or just software providers to photographers, that think just saying the word “video” or “4K60p” implies their products are deserving of appeal to professionals. Even Sigma would probably agree with me now they offer several Cine lenses after years of people wishing they would enter that market.

Rick Lang

jimyiapanis

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 3:41 am

They want to have their cake and eat it (appeal to pros and the masses alike). I think BMD and Rode do it well (but then as an Aussie I’m biased). Sound Devices have stepped up their consumer game of late.

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 4:35 am

Jim, interesting observation. Sound Devices is making excellent quality low-end gear with great appeal to a broader market. I always appreciate that combination of factors. Sure not all the high-end features are present, but what is there is done as well as they can do.

That’s the thinking that must propel SLR Magic who came at it from the opposite direction from a background of making toy lenses to making some of the best budget manual apochromatic PL primes you can buy. Of course those modern lenses are of a traditional design using only spherical glass to achieve their magic. They’re not pretending they’re suitable for all use cases. No electronics, not weather sealed, but they tick a lot of the boxes that make for a winning lens.

Rick Lang

jimyiapanis

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 4:59 am

Indeed. I think that’s where Apple have failed, treating pros almost with disdain.

Return to Cinematography