Pocket 4k Dead Pixel

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Blaine Suque

Pocket 4k Dead Pixel

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 5:53 am

Hey guys,

I got my Pocket 4k about a week ago. Since then i have shot a couple test around home and also used it on a wedding. I noticed I have a dead pixel at higher ISO's ....but when i did an ISO test I actually noticed its visible around 200. Here are some frames of what i am talking about. I already talked to BM and i have to send the camera back to get check out or replaced, hopefully i do not have to wait again. Link below :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o1l3drnu6b6i05g/AAA-jYqofKxm3Z9xa--32ftaa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dleif6qua8r35mm/A004_10071334_C067.mov?dl=0

Since the battery life sucks with Canon LP's i went and bought the Core powerbase, and it will last me almost 4 hours. 2 of these and im good for most run n gun shoots. Link below.

[url]
https://www.adorama.com/sxpbebmpc4.html ... gIJfvD_BwE[/url]

Other than that issue the camera is awesome, cant wait for a firmware update and possibly BMRAW.
One thing i wish to see soon be an option is to be able to disable the touch screen. I use this camera just like a dlsr with a strap and throw it over my shoulder for the day. When its on, the touch screen will constantly hit your body or clothes and push buttons.

I will upload a real test soon and post. just havent shot anything fun yet with it. Maybe some surfing really soon.
Blaine Suque

http://blainesuque.com/

Bearallison

Re: Pocket 4k Dead Pixel

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 5:59 pm

I have noticed at least three hot pixels on my Pocket 4k.

Blaine Suque

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 5:10 am

Bearallison wrote:I have noticed at least three hot pixels on my Pocket 4k.

At lower ISO's?

What are you going to do about it? Send it in or keep it?
Blaine Suque

http://blainesuque.com/

Bearallison

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 1:07 pm

At all ISOs. I haven't decided yet, I have been using it and have created a power grade inside of resolve using the dead pixel plug-in. I just apply that to the footage before grading and it looks fine.

rick.lang

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 6:35 pm

I recently had a single stuck pixel and have done that same. I think BMD has a policy related to dead pixel exchanges and as far as we’ve heard in the past, they won’t replace a camera with one dead pixel. If it was delivered to you like that, they may or you can return it to tour vendor. My dead pixel only showed up after I had the camera more than a couple of years. In my recent wedding the stuck pixel wasn’t on my daylight footage but persisted in low light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

marcellomazzilli

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 9:11 am

Bearallison wrote:At all ISOs. I haven't decided yet, I have been using it and have created a power grade inside of resolve using the dead pixel plug-in. I just apply that to the footage before grading and it looks fine.

Can you explain more? I have little or no experience with Da Vinci. Can you tell us one by one the operations to create this correction for Dead Pixels? Thanks
Marcello Mazzilli

marcellomazzilli

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 9:15 am

I hope this will be resolved soon by Firmware updates. I don't remember having similar problems on ly BMPC4K and believe it was addressed automatically. I never saw a function to "reset dead pixels". Some cameras (other brands) have a specific procedure to do if you notice them. How does it work on Ursa, URSA Mini and Ursa Mini Pro ?
Marcello Mazzilli

roger.magnusson

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 12:57 pm

In a facebook thread about stuck pixels on BMPCC4K Kristian Lam from BMD said that the local support offices can remap those pixels.

rick.lang

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Marcelo, I add a serial node in the Resolve Colour Page reserved just for my one dead pixel that appeared a couple of months ago. After you add the node, in the upper right part of your screen, click the OFX and scroll down the list to the Repair or Restore effects (recently renamed I think so not sure) and there you select Dead Pixel. Drag that effect to the new node you added. You’ll then need to tell Resolve which pixel to modify by dragging a tool to it.

The size of the tool used to locate and modify the dead pixel is 2. That’s too small to locate the pixel, so you can make it larger temporarily such as 10. When you’ve got it centred, then set the size back to 2. You’ll see the dead pixel take on the average colour of its neighbors.

If you have several dead pixels, just use the tool to identify each location.

The dead pixel will likely be in every clip, so then you need to copy the node to the other clips.

This is tedious, so it someone can detail a more efficient process, please do.

Since the dead pixel is in the same place in every clip, it’s unfortunate that Resolve doesn’t fix it everywhere instead of one clip at a time.

Heck, put it in the project presets as the physical location on the sensor and have it apply automatically in every project regardless of resolution.

Or even better. Define the dead pixel in the camera, d’oh!

Rick Lang

John Paines

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 4:09 pm

Why not apply the dead pixel node, from a powergrade, to the entire timeline, rather than one clip at a time (you'll need to switch from "clip" to "timeline" on the Color page for this one operation)?

rick.lang

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 10:18 pm

Thank you, John!

Rick Lang

tillkrueger

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 6:06 am

oh brother, I just found this thread out of necessity...I just rendered out my first 1250 ISO RAW clip from my new PCC4K, which left me flabbergasted with its beautiful colour even in low light, when lo and behold, a white stuck pixel reared its ugly head...why oh why?!

ok, time to figure out my options...plugin, Fusion, local BM office support...what's the best way to deal with this...I'd love to have it taken care of on the hardware level, or at least in firmware, but I'm probably not alone with that. Since I purchased the camera on eBay from one of the lucky guys that got their pre-order way before I would have gotten mine, I am unable to go back to the "vendor" (no returns, not that I would want to *return* it!), so does anyone know what the local BM office might be able to do?

btw, hi Rick! you're in every discussion, aren't you?
maybe I will be omnipresent like you too, some day. ;)

rick.lang

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 6:11 am

Omnipresent but never omniscient!

Rick Lang

tillkrueger

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 6:15 am

dang! I hoped you would be...

too tired now, but tomorrow I'll have to dig deeper, find out whether it's just one stuck pixel, then maybe call BM to see what their stance is. Maybe my SquareTrade warranty would cover it if BM doesn't. But if it's just one pixel, I may learn to live with it, if all else fails. Still, I'd love to find a way to get it "unstuck", or dealt with in the firmware, maybe.

oh well, time to see the sandman...g'nite all!

Danny Wincott

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 6:57 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:In a facebook thread about stuck pixels on BMPCC4K Kristian Lam from BMD said that the local support offices can remap those pixels.

Link to the thread?

Danny Wincott

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 6:59 pm

I have a dead pixel too and a friend in the same town has one also :(

tillkrueger

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 6:08 pm

there's probably a good reason why BM has added a feature in Resolve to deal with such pixels ;)

still would love to not have to deal with it in post.

Return to Cinematography