Some feature request :-D

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 11:14 pm

I know bmd is doing a great work on Os 6.0 for Ursa mini series (and for Pocket4k i think), i think is time to do a small feature request list, if is possibile.

- variable frequency sinc phase: i know that often you can use 172.8 instead of 180, or replace lamp on set, but not everytimes, for example external shooting where you have street lamps with strange value of frequency... internal shooting for interview, tons of advertising monitor on screen, and more...
on my gh5/gh5s i can leave 180 degree and change sinch value to grab right sinch with this kind of light and for old monitor. if is possibile i would like to see the same on bmd cameras.

- today many people use cable adapter cfast to ssd for many reasons (free up back sdi, ability to do a dual recording with both cfast channel, different support like m2 ssd and more). But when you put a cable adapter you cannot close completely you monitor door, but it stay on. could be possibile to map on f1 or f2 turning of monitor? or ... when i put my eyes on viewfinder turn off monitor (ever option, naturally).

- add (for future) more braw compression/quality option, like q1,q2,q3,q4 i think many people think is an interesting option (i use q0 only), but i see that ability to keep raw with more compression is good for many kind of production.

Develop an ssd recorder 2.0 with a small difference, not so big, but more pro.
- dual channel recording, double disk (backup or double recording like dual cfast or swichtable recording).
- box for ssd like cadrige, to protect ssd and assure that are more pro and less fragile.
- think to m2 protocols and not only to sata protocols, for the future sata will die and m2 pciexpress will be cheap and faster. anyway today have a faster disk mean faster transfer.
At today there are just a cfast to m2ssd adapter :-D
Last edited by carlomacchiavello on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David White

Re: Some feature request :-D

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 11:59 pm

Since we're including hardware, I'd like to add a request for a smaller electronic view finder suitable for the Pocket 4K and, perhaps, other smaller Blackmagic cameras.

I'm not talking about a small monitor, but rather a proper EVF like the ones for the mirror less still cameras.

Having one for the Pocket4K would keep the camera very portable, but easy to use in day light and/or by photographers who need reading glasses.

It could get power from the USB port and take HDMI in instead of SDI. It wouldn't need to be full HD although that would be nice. I just need something to aim with and check focus with the focus assist lines.

I checked online, but couldn't find any good options. There are some rather large EVF's but they would be too much for the smaller cameras.

David

Charles Unice

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Zacuto graticle hd or x, both support hdmi. Also uses battery to power it. It’s the current option for an evf with the p4k. I have the graticle eye on my Ursa Mini Pro and now am using the graticle hd with the pocket. I don’t like buying accessories that are camera specific, cameras change very couple years but most accessories can last. The cool thing about the zacuto graticle is they work on every camera with an hdmi or sdi port. They are not camera specific.

rick.lang

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 9:53 pm

It’s big and beautiful and about twice the price of the BMPCC4K, but you can use the Zacuto GratIcal HD OLED with other cameras:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1097499-REG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

David White

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 11:51 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'd prefer a much smaller EVF similar in size to this one.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... black.html

David

rick.lang

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 3:33 am

David, that attaches to Canon’s proprietary hot shoe on certain cameras. I bought a Canon hot shoe DM50 shotgun mic for my Canon HV20 camcorder when that was a hot (supposedly) prosumer camera. Useless on anything else. Would be good if I could use that mic with the BMPCC4K. Lesson learned.

Rick Lang

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 3:37 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:- variable frequency sinc phase: i know that often you can use 172.8 instead of 180, or replace lamp on set, but not everytimes, for example external shooting where you have street lamps with strange value of frequency... internal shooting for interview, tons of advertising monitor on screen, and more...
on my gh5/gh5s i can leave 180 degree and change sinch value to grab right sinch with this kind of light and for old monitor. if is possibile i would like to see the same on bmd cameras.

Press the shutter value from the HUD, then double tap the number between the arrows bottom left and you can enter the number you want. Wait a couple of secs and it will update without having to close the keyboard if you want to try a few values.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 10:38 am

CaptainHook wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:- variable frequency sinc phase: i know that often you can use 172.8 instead of 180, or replace lamp on set, but not everytimes, for example external shooting where you have street lamps with strange value of frequency... internal shooting for interview, tons of advertising monitor on screen, and more...

Press the shutter value from the HUD, then double tap the number between the arrows bottom left and you can enter the number you want. Wait a couple of secs and it will update without having to close the keyboard if you want to try a few values.

WOW i missed it!!! greats thanks you very much!!!

Charles Unice

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 12:26 am

My feature request would be 4:3 so we can shoot anamorphic on th p4k. Even if it’s a 3k anamorphic like it is on the Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k. I’d love that!!!

rick.lang

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 1:56 am

Charles, for a moment forget about the sensor. What is the aspect ratio that you ultimately want to deliver? Is it widescreen 2.39:1, is it 2.66:1, is it 3.55:1? Anamorphic could be any of those as you’re talking about the non-spherical character of a lens and/or projector.

4:3 is very useful to serve up the 2.66:1 aspect ratio with 2x anamorphic lenses without wasting photosites and providing a stretched oval bokeh. As you know, BMD hasn’t yet offered that sensor crop.

The 16:9 aspect ratio of all BMD sensors provides the modern widescreen 2.39:1 with a 1.33x anamorphic without wasting photosites. Anamorphic ‘look’ such as a stretched oval bokeh is reduced but still present.

The same widescreen 2.39:1 ratio is available using the 3K 3072x2560 sensor crop and a 2x anamorphic lens with all the ’look’ and without wasted photosites.

There are also 1.5x anamorphic lenses preferred by some which would work well with other sensor crops. For example UHD and 1.5x anamorphic gives you the very wide 2.66:1 aspect ratio without wasting photosites. 1.5x anamorphic lenses may be something to consider... I think it might have been Hawk that recently developed 1.5x anamorphic lenses to take advantage of the ubiquitous 16:9 sensors.

I certainly am in favour of a 4:3 shooting window for those who would like it, but thought it would be good to review the options we have to see if they meet your deliverables.

Rick Lang

MScDre

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 6:06 pm

Seconding carlomacchiavello suggestioni for an updated SSD recorder especially one with 12G SDI out to allow both recording and monitoring.

Either that or an updated Video Assist that does BRAW, ideally something like the Atomos Sumo but the nice Blackmagic version

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 8:21 pm

MScDre wrote:Seconding carlomacchiavello suggestioni for an updated SSD recorder especially one with 12G SDI out to allow both recording and monitoring.

Either that or an updated Video Assist that does BRAW, ideally something like the Atomos Sumo but the nice Blackmagic version

12g sdi out or a simple 6g out on ssd recorder 2.0 mean that ssd recorder is not only a simple interface SDI to ssd but a more complex device that convert a digital data to video data to out to external sdi, more expansive tool.
Another chance could be, if is possible be cause i'm not an engeneer, i'm not a knower of bmd hardware, is my hypothesis:
braw has light data rate, could be recorded also with 6g output, then if hardware allow and can manage different output kind of data (video and digital data) on dual sdi, could be possible to out video data on sdi 1 and data (braw) on sdi2, but i dubt of it.
i think is simplier to use a cable adapter from cfast to ssd instead of that.
Alternative could be Atoch a more structured dual ssd recorder with cfast interface, and you have free back sdi.

Video assist4k have a 6g in, if hardware can manage a braw video data rate, and if can read a data instead a video and if have enought power to convert a braw in video in could be possible, a lots of IF
all are hypothesis and ... if i can record a braw in camera, why i need to record another braw on video assist? to have a backup? may be.

JasonWarriner

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 1:49 am

I would really like to see a "delete last clip" option (like on Arri cameras). It's very easy to accidentally trigger record on a camera and it can end up wasting precious space when far from a computer.

It's an option on Arri cameras, so why not BMD?

rick.lang

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 2:59 am

What was the screen resolution?

Rick Lang

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 3:00 am

Feature request: NEW FIRMWARE FOR URSA MINI 4K & 4.6k!!!!!!! :roll:

rick.lang

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 5:37 am

2.36 million is good, a 2K/HD representation of the 4K/UHD image.
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography